I recently saw an antique Gibson Hollow Body but have never seen one quite like it. I believe it was from the mid 50's. It had 4 standard volume/tone knobs but then there was a big 5th knob that was supposedly for reverb because amps didn't have settings for that way back when. Does anyone have any idea what type of Gibson I may have saw.
Well... I can say with pretty high confidence that it most likely wasn't a reverb knob.
Without pictures, I can't help you. I seriously doubt that the fifth knob was a reverb knob. An on-board reverb in the fifties would have been ridiculous. Where would they put the spring tank? You said it was one big knob? Perhaps it was a Varitone switch?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Without pictures, I can't help you. I seriously doubt that the fifth knob was a reverb knob. An on-board reverb in the fifties would have been ridiculous. Where would they put the spring tank? You said it was one big knob? Perhaps it was a Varitone switch?

Not sure to be honest. Is that what a larger 5th knob would be for? I only got a quick glance and I asked about the 5th knob was for and the dude just said reverb as he was walking by.
it sounds like mabey a 355 i want it and if you dont know what it is you dont deserve it
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
It might have been a Gibson Varitone.

http://030be21.netsolhost.com/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/59dot-vtone.jpg

I'm not sure what the varitone knob did, I've seen the guitar before but never played it. It probably gives you different pickup switching options, not unlike the type of switches that guys like Jimmy Page put in one of his les pauls.

Whoever told you it was a reverb knob is an idiot.
Last edited by al112987 at May 3, 2011,
I haven't seen a Gibson archtop with five knobs. The ES-5 Switchmaster usually had six, but some have three and then a fourth knob where the pickup selector switch goes (front lower bout). I think you'll need a picture. The fifth knob might be a model where that knob serves as the pickup selector.
Quote by al112987
It might have been a Gibson Varitone.

http://030be21.netsolhost.com/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/59dot-vtone.jpg

I'm not sure what the varitone knob did, I've seen the guitar before but never played it. It probably gives you different pickup switching options, not unlike the type of switches that guys like Jimmy Page put in one of his les pauls.

Whoever told you it was a reverb knob is an idiot.

I would say this. Which would be a Gibson ES-345 which they started making in 1959 and quit some time in the 1980's I believe..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
Gibson Archtops don't usually have a Varitone switch. Semi-solids like the ES-137 do, but it certainly isn't a knob:

The Gibson ES-137:

Gibson Archtop guitars are pretty straightforward in their electronic arrangements.

The Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster:

Gibson L-5 CES:

Gibson Super 400:

Gibson Tal Farlow:

(Invalid img)

Gibson Barney Kessel:

(Invalid img)

Gibson Howard Roberts:

Gibson Johnny Smith:

And my favorite, the Gibson Byrdland:

Last edited by FatalGear41 at May 3, 2011,
Quote by KevinFreund
I would say this. Which would be a Gibson ES-345 which they started making in 1959 and quit some time in the 1980's I believe..

I think this may be it. Looks very similar, much appreciated.
That fifth knob is most likely a master volume knob.

For those above who didn't know, varitone switches select various capacitors and resistors to create a darker or brighter tone.