Hi guys,
I'm trying to get the standard repeating lick under my fingers and I've tried to start slow and play it over and over again... but I can't seem to get it to go fast...

Any tips would be great!

something like:
------12h15p12----
-------------------15-
----------------------
----------------------
----------------------
----------------------

or something like
----------------------
------15p12----12--
---------------14----
----------------------
----------------------
----------------------
There are many factors that can cause this, lack of practice and PERFECT practice, wierd fingerings, bad legato etc.

Tell us what is hard when going fast instead, dont get any sound out of the pull offs? getting tense?

You need to analyse why you can´t play it, only then you know what you must practice.
Yeah, practice more. Do it for half an hour every day this week and you will be much better at it. But you will find yourself in a year doing the same thing, to improve it. You can always get better.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
play it really slow with a metronome for a long time to gain the muscle memory, then speed it up little by little over time
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Sickz
You need to analyse why you can´t play it, only then you know what you must practice.

^ bingo - play it slow and perfectly watching yoursellf in a mirror.
Then gradually speed up... does anything change?

(watching yourself and/or recording yourself is a good way to discover problems that you cannot otherwise figure out)
I think when I go fast, synchronization goes out of wack..

This is boring as @#$! to practice though...

I just want to be able to use these in songs (they only sound good when they are played up to speed).
Well are there other things you can play at the desired speed? - but this particular lick is giving you trouble....
Or is it that you just can't play anything at all that fast?
I can play an alternate pick pattern at the speed I wanted.. but not this.

I know it's all practice, but it's really frustrating

I thought this kind of repeating licks are the easiest to get fast though..
Quote by timelessx
I can play an alternate pick pattern at the speed I wanted.. but not this.

I know it's all practice, but it's really frustrating

I thought this kind of repeating licks are the easiest to get fast though..

ok then, that's good. So you really just need to figure out exactly why the hammer/pull version gives you trouble.

Your hands going out of syncronization is not really the problem... it's a symptom of some underlying flaw in this case.
(I say that because you already have the sync and speed necessary to alt pick the exact same sequence.)

So again, if you cannot determine it, then look in the mirror and watch your hands.
Play the pattern up to tempo alt picking, then switch to the legato version and see what changes. Switch back and forth and look at your hands move.
Does your pick hand tense up and lose flow because of the pause between pick notes?
Are you un able to keep in time with the finger that is hammering?
I can't tell you... but you can find out. And when you narrow down the problem, isolate it and work on that problem.

Just repeating the whole thing slowly over and over without ever identifying the flaw - you would probably still get it down eventually.... But that is less efficient practice than correcting a very specific problem or bad habit that is holding you back. At least in my opinion.
Hope it helps.