So I have my first ever rehearsal with a band in a few days (Drummer, Bassist and singer - I'm the the only guitarist). We've booked a rehearsal place and I'll be renting a Marshall JMC900 either a full or half stack.

Now I've only ever played over tracks at home with my lovely little Vox VT30 and although I can get a few nice settings I'm expecting the Marshall with a band to be totally different.

Now to save me 30 minutes fiddling with settings before we start wasting valuable practice time can anyone give me a heads up on the basic settings (Bass, mids, treble and gain etc).

We'll be playing stuff like KOL and Stereophonics so I'll need a good crunch and I'll just crank the gain up for some of the more punky stuff we'll be doing.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers
you can rent amps!?
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
full stack will be completely unnecessary, its just another 4x12 to lug around.

Roll the bass back a bit more than usual to give the bass (guitar) a place to sit in the mix. More mids to cut through better and for crunch. Treble and gain to taste pretty much. This is all generally speaking, I've never played a 900.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a decent tone without overpowering or being lost in the mix.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by shikkaka
you can rent amps!?

Yeh the rehearsal place rents them out.

I guessed i'd need less bass, cheers
Any settings on a marshall sound good. I prefer 2 Bass 5 Mid 8 Gain and 9 Treble my self. Very hard hitting distorted sound. Then just play with the guitar to get crunch or what ever you want.
I'm assuming you're going to rent an amp for gigs too?

I think it's time to get a big boys amp. I've shown up for some auditions, seen the small practice amps that everyone else has, turned around and left.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
honestly, I can't remember the last time i've performed using my own amp. you should probably rent a combo though (marshall makes small combos nowadays right? mesa-boogie, orange and vox make excellent combos) i doubt you'll want to crankk that jcm enough to get a great tone out of it---if your going to get overdrive from your amp, you should probably keep yourself under 30 watts (15ish is usually a happy medium unless you want a ton of headroom). Any rehersal space will be too small to use any kind of stack, and any gig big enough to need a stack will mike your amp anway--there more for dick measuring purposes then real function nowadays.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Quote by tehREALcaptain
honestly, I can't remember the last time i've performed using my own amp.

Really? My amp spends at least half the time in my car because it has to get to gigs, and I couldn't be bothered lugging it out when I get home late.

Combos are good depending on the size. I wouldn't buy a combo larger than a 1x12 though. Those 2 x 12 combos are heavy! A bassist I know has a 4 x 10 combo. Geez.
Soundcloud
Yeh I'm aware I'm gonna have to get a bigger amp sooner rather than later but I thought I'd get a few sessions under my belt first and find out what the bassist uses and what sort of sound they're after.

I've thought about whether to get a combo or a head and cab but I also have a 50w acoustic amp with an "out" jack which isn't really loud enough to gig so I thought at least with a cab I could fire out some acoustic stuff through it, I can even get a very good clean/mildly gainy tone from it with my electric?

The thing is you see so many bands with guitarists using half and even full stacks it sort of gives you a complex to turn up with your shoebox sized combo?

So back to the settings, as a starter, keep the bass low, mid and treble up?
Quote by crevs1972
So back to the settings, as a starter, keep the bass low, mid and treble up?

I'd just keep them all at 12 and adjust the volume to suit. There's no way it's going to sound "familiar", I'd just take the default settings and adjust if you "really" need to.
Soundcloud