Just need to set my mind at ease... Used to use a sorta Slash-esque picking technique... nothing to complex, just the most natural way to pick i thought. But i wasnt happy with it and have for the past 2 days been starting to use a kinda Randy Rhoads type tactic. (watch Youtube user Sam Coulson's videos, its his style) but ive been getting some tension in my right hand... not the forearm, actually the hand. Do you think thats just because im changing styles?

Also, im gonna start wrapping my thumb to mute the low 3 strings, when playing the higher 3 (or mute the low 2, when on the D, or mute the E when on the A). Has anyone else tried this got any opinions/reviews on its effectiveness ?
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
Quote by KingHenrik1967
Just need to set my mind at ease... Used to use a sorta Slash-esque picking technique... nothing to complex, just the most natural way to pick i thought. But i wasnt happy with it and have for the past 2 days been starting to use a kinda Randy Rhoads type tactic. (watch Youtube user Sam Coulson's videos, its his style) but ive been getting some tension in my right hand... not the forearm, actually the hand. Do you think thats just because im changing styles?

Also, im gonna start wrapping my thumb to mute the low 3 strings, when playing the higher 3 (or mute the low 2, when on the D, or mute the E when on the A). Has anyone else tried this got any opinions/reviews on its effectiveness ?

It's not just because you're changing styles and this is one reason you shouldn't look at someone's technique and try to copy them. The exact shape of your hand really makes no difference to how well you can play, really what you should be concentrating on is keeping everything muted, keeping your movements small and relaxed and so on. If there's tension in your hand it's probably because your trying to do something you're not comfortable with and that forcing your hand into a shape it's not ok with is causing you to tense up.

I'm not sure what you mean with the second half of your question, are you still talking about your picking hand?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I'm not sure what you mean with the second half of your question, are you still talking about your picking hand?

Nah, i mean with the left hand. The sorta Baseball grip, i think people call it... something tells me SRV done it, to an extent. Im just thinking of doing it to help control my sound, a bit better.
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
Quote by KingHenrik1967
Nah, i mean with the left hand. The sorta Baseball grip, i think people call it... something tells me SRV done it, to an extent. Im just thinking of doing it to help control my sound, a bit better.

I thought as much.

You shouldn't have to do that to mute well, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

Really unless you're bending or playing chords in a Hendrix/Fruciante style your thumb should be behind the neck, roughly in the middle and moving lower for wide stretching ideas.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well is it really tension in your right hand or does it just feel wierd? I know when i changed my picking technique ( Wich is for the 3rd and as i can see it last time now ) it just felt wierd since i was used to play another way, but i wasent really tense.

Agreeing with Zaphod, don´t force your hand into a position its not okay with.