Before anyone says anything, this is in fact a heavy metal album, so if anyone who is not a mod says 'shred forum plz', I will disregard it. If shit like 'post-djent' is allowed in here, then this HAS to be ok.

Anyway!

What a class album. Used to hate Yngwie for years until I heard his early stuff, to be quite honest, but this one really floored me when I heard it. And yes, the cover art did go some way in convincing me to listen to it, haha. 'Marching Out' is also deadly! At times, on the later stuff, the band just seem like a vehicle to accomodate his solo runs, but the balls out 80s heavy metal material cant be argued with...
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Pretty sure that album cover helped inspire swisgar's guitar special in metalocalypse
Quote by Gyoung1991
Pretty sure that album cover helped inspire swisgar's guitar special in metalocalypse

Now why would you contaminate this thread with that?

I just checked out some of Trilogy on youtube. I'm not really into some of the lead work but overall it's great stuff! Really good use of keyboards.
Off to a good start, and to an even greater start, I'll just mention early Yngwie is stellar. This and Rising Force filled my young guitarist days!

I remember when I learned Area 51/Hangar 18 from Rising Force...Was such a bitch to get down anything, haha. Didn't even bother with the solo at all.

Ace stuff, Strangles! Didn't see you as a shred fan at all, is it the vocalist? haha

EDIT: Christ, so Hangar 18/Area 51 is not from Rising Force at all, Screw this, I had reminiscence.
Last edited by severed-metal at May 3, 2011,
The vocal work in Trilogy is awesome, some very catchy songs! I like a lot of Yngwie, pretty much because I kind of grew up with it. Marching Out will always be my favourite though!

But yeah, this is a GREAT! heavy metal album, everything works together so well, and at times, it is not all focused on the blitz guitar work, every instrument stands out and so do the vocals.
Quote by severed-metal
Off to a good start, and to an even greater start, I'll just mention early Yngwie is stellar. This and Rising Force filled my young guitarist days!

I remember when I learned Area 51/Hangar 18 from Rising Force...Was such a bitch to get down anything, haha. Didn't even bother with the solo at all.

Ace stuff, Strangles! Didn't see you as a shred fan at all, is it the vocalist? haha

EDIT: Christ, so Hangar 18/Area 51 is not from Rising Force at all, Screw this, I had reminiscence.

Oh completely, I doubt id like it half as much without the vocals...couldnt listen to a whole metal album without vocals, sure I even found the last Chasm album tough going in parts, haha.

I wouldnt even know where to start learning Yngwie tracks...Guitar as a teenager for me was trying to play all of Rust In Peace, and getting about as far as the First half of 'Holy Wars' I havent even improved since then!
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I used to eat, sleep and breathe his first two around September of 2010, primarily because of his stellar lead work... Now Your Ships are Burned has got to be one of the most scorching tunes ever, solo-wise!

Never looked into anything past that though. Mostly similar to those two, I assume?
I LOVE the first three Yngwie albums. Shred, Heavy/Speed Metal, or whatever you call them, they are great albums. Marching out is definitely my favourite but I was surprised by how good Trilogy was when I bought it. It's tough to pick a favourite, but I think I'd have to go with the opener, "You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget".

I had a chance to buy Odyssey used the other day, but it was surprisingly expensive to be used and I'm very skeptical to go past Trilogy.
oh **** I love this album especially Trilogy Suite Op:5
I leik music
The closest i've managed to get to listening to Malmsteen is watching a busker completely destroy my confidence is my guitar skills by busting out Arpeggios from Hell in front of me...****.

I'll give Trilogy a shot now.

Edit:

LOVING this album, Fire is such a good song.
Last edited by logboy at May 4, 2011,
That cover is better than good.

Also, Alchemy is a pretty sweet album as well. That's the the right album this time.
Quote by severed-metal
That cover is better than good.

If there was one album cover I could come up with in my lifetime (for myself) it would be exactly that, except with me in place of old yngwie there. I'd probably even be wearing the same thing, but with a candy apple red strat instead of a cream one.

The only thing I'd change is the face, the name, and the colour of guitar.

Then my life would be complete. Unfortunately, it's already taken and I'll have to come up with something better, which is, quite frankly, impossible.
Tooo bee or not tooo beee, IN THE DARK AAAYYYGGEEESSS!

IMO, yngwies best album.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
so, is yngwie shooting flames out of his guitar, or is he just like "okay just take it, holy fvck"?

havent listened to malmsteen in forever really, but i like his scalloped guitar, this guy who went to my high school had his signature strat
Much better than the other Yngwie stuff I have heard.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
guess i should try this then, i always saw malmsteen as the ultimate wanker so i never bothered with a full-length
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by piratemetalhead
...or is he just like "okay just take it, holy fvck"?

I had to look at the cover again to understand what this meant, but I laughed out loud when I did.
Quote by HamburgerBoy
I had to look at the cover again to understand what this meant, but I laughed out loud when I did.

I just did the same thing.

A few of the songs on here really remind me of early Symphony X.
Sick album, although Marching Out is my favourite. 80's Yngwie is phenomenal stuff. I don't understand how people can hate his first few albums.