Hey, I'm gonna be recording with my band here in the near future, and I have only 3 options of amps to use for the session. I have absolutely no money for new gear, and I HAVE to choose a combination of the following gear:

Fender Princeton Recording
1969 Fender Princeton that has been " Blackfaced"
1973 Fender Vibro Champ

Then, I have the option of micing any of these, or running them through one of the following speakers built into an iso chamber:

Celestion Vintage 30
Weber Vintage 10

Now, I'm playing an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that has a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the Bridge and AlNiCo II Pro in the Neck. I also have a DigiTech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion Pedal.

Now, in terms of tone, I'm looking for something somewhere between Metallica and Lamb of God, but I'm not trying to nail anyone's tone. I'll be personalizing it quite a bit and creating my own tone, but I'm looking for something pretty metal. I want it nice and heavy. Nothing that lacks mids completely, but I'll be scooping them some.

Any suggestions on the best combo to go with? I was personally thinking the '69 Princeton through the Vintage 30 with my pedal in front of it to mold the tone. I really don't know much about Fender amps, though, and i wanted some opinions on what to do with this.
You should really see if the studio has a more modern voiced amp...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Viking metal? You need to borrow a friends amp, any of those with the TL-2 as distortion will not sound that great recorded IMHO.

I say borrow an amp, use the cab with V-30's, and use your TL-2 as a clean boost.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
See if you can borrow an amp from someone.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
These are my options for borrowing. It's my drummer's dad's studio, and those are the available amps. Our rhythm guitarist has a Line 6 Spider 15w and I have my choice between a Marshall MG30, Peavey Rage 158, and a 5w Vox battery amp.

These are really my only options. I don't know anyone else that I could borrow an amp from that is a better choice than any of these. We're just recording a demo with 4 tracks, so it's not something I'll have to live with forever, but I need something that sounds at least decent.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at May 3, 2011,
Maybe try some DI with some modelling software and the Princeton (69) blended in to thicken the sound and add some natural clarity to it.
Also - don't scoop the mids too much at recording stage - you can do it when mixing - otherwise you run the risk of losing tone in the bass frequencies as you compete for the same regions. Keep the amps slightly cleaner than you might do at gigs as overuse of distortion when recording tends to (in my experience) lead to an overly compressed, thin and fizzy tone.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Blktiger0
These are my options for borrowing. I's my drummer's dad's studio, and those are the available amps. Our rhythm guitarist has a Line 6 Spider 15w and I have my choice between a Marshall MG30, Peavey Rage 158, and a 5w Vox battery ampt.

These are really my only options. I don't know anyone else that I could borrow an amp from that is a better choice than any of these. We're just recording a demo with 4 tracks, so it's not something I'll have to live with forever, but I need something that sounds at least decent.

So your band is set to start recording, and all your band has are those amps? Uh, okay.....
Quote by suffersystem
So your band is set to start recording, and all your band has are those amps? Uh, okay.....

+1 you are mean!
Quote by suffersystem

I'm sorry, did you want to add some money to our amp fund? I relaly wish i had the money for the JCA100HDM and Custom Avatar Cab with Vintage 30's and G12k-100's in an X pattern, but sadly I'm in college and that tends to drain most of my money.

Please, though, be my guest and pay for that for me.

Oh, and in case you didn't catch this, IT'S A DEMO! We just want to have something to show for what we've done so far, and seeing as how we can use this studio for as long as we please and do it for free, I don't see the problem.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at May 5, 2011,
I say run your hardwire distortion through the different fenders and see which one it sounds best on. That pedal sounds pretty good, and definitely beats out a spider or mg

edit: and i know it sounds like everyone is being a little harsh towards you, but your original post didn't really shed light on your actual situation. Everyone was trying to help you in the best way possible with the given information. With the info added later on, they probably would have given you different options. Don't take it so personally man
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at May 5, 2011,
Quote by InanezGuitars44
I say run your hardwire distortion through the different fenders and see which one it sounds best on. That pedal sounds pretty good, and definitely beats out a spider or mg

edit: and i know it sounds like everyone is being a little harsh towards you, but your original post didn't really shed light on your actual situation. Everyone was trying to help you in the best way possible with the given information. With the info added later on, they probably would have given you different options. Don't take it so personally man

Thanks...I kinda planned on that anyway, i just wanted to see if anyone on here knew what would probably sound best. Also, I've been on this forum for quite a while, I know how everyone is. However, I DO NOT appreciate it when people like suffersystem reply to a thread in a completely negative way and contribute absolutely nothing to the conversation. I realize that my situation isn't ideal, and like I said in reply to him, if I could improve it, I would for sure.

I'm usually not angry when it sounds like it, though. I just tell it straight and don't take shit from people.

EDIT:

Also, a big thanks to everyone that has given me advice! Hopefully I can pick up something a little better suited to metal between now and then, but if not it looks like I'm stick with Fenders...
Last edited by Blktiger0 at May 5, 2011,