Okay guys, i am completely clueless when it comes to theory and even some basic chords, which poses a slight problem now i've decided to try and write my own songs. Can anybody tell me what these chords are called please?

E|-----------------------------------
B|-----------------------------------
G|-----4--------11-------9---------
D|-----2---------9--------7---------
A|-----2---------9--------7---------
E|------------------------------------

A link to a decent basic theory course would be nice too, i've been playing for 3 years and it's getting kind of embarrassing now...
Periphery, love that shit!
They are inverted 5 chords.

5 chords have a root and a perfect fifth. The first one is a E5/B, second is B5/F# and the third one is A5/E.
Inversion of E5-----------Inversion of B5----------Inversion of A5

Your basically playing V5-ii5-I5. Power chords in 2nd inversions pretty much, (starting on the 5th instead of the root.) There's more ways you can look at it.
Yep, they're inverted powerchords. But it's hard to tell the key without more information.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
b /fsharp /e... or e / h /a

as you have given no...thirds you can make it major or minor...

the progression is a classical I -V- IV / i -v- iv

you just inverted e -b -a powerchords
you can jam with e minor scales over it. or bminor....

e f# g a b c d string e(02357810)

b h c# d e f# g a string b(02357810)

better than me....:

http://www.musictheory.net/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B

Quote by bryceh12321
Inversion of E5-----------Inversion of B5----------Inversion of A5

Your basically playing V5-ii5-I5. Power chords in 2nd inversions pretty much, (starting on the 5th instead of the root.) There's more ways you can look at it.

A V ii I? It'd take a heck of a lot of convincing for me to see it as anything other than a I V IV.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
This is difficult for me to get my head round with my current knowledge of 5 basic chords and the A natural minor scale :/

What key is this in? Looks like i'll be starting music theory lessons soon :P
Quote by AvengedESP
This is difficult for me to get my head round with my current knowledge of 5 basic chords and the A natural minor scale :/

To find the key by ear, you have to listen to what chord sound "at home." This is where the progression resolves.

When you play it, what chord "feels at home?" If you can't tell right off the bat, end the riff on one of the three chords and see if it pulls towards another chord. Repeat until you've found the home chord.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Seems to be in E... now i need to figure out how to construct my song!
Thanks for helping me figure that one out guys, I think its working now ^^
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
A V ii I? It'd take a heck of a lot of convincing for me to see it as anything other than a I V IV.

yeah i was thinking that myself. it could be seen as the other, but at a stretch. to the ts, don't worry too much about theory at the start, write using your ear but learn bits of theory on the side. it'll creep into the things you write and soon enough.... well i dunno, but it'll be good.
Quote by AvengedESP

There's only 5?

Quote by AvengedESP

Good idea. www.musictheory.net
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud