So, while I was playing and testing out a 1980 Marshall JMP master volume head, this sales person at the local music shop proceeded to disconnect the head from the speaker cab while I was playing it. I said wait don't do that, you'll mess up the amp and he said oh it's ok. Won't this mess up the amp somehow..i.e. transformers, tubes, ect.??? Now I don't know if I should still buy the amp. Does anybody know if the amp will be affected? Should I still buy it???
If it still works and you want it...

Yeah.

But if they have an unopened one... Try that and buy that one just to be safe.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yea it probably hurt the output tubes/OT a bit, depending on how long he had it powered on + disconnected. do u know when it was turned off?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
If only done for an instant, you're not likely to cause any damage. Still, not a good habit to get into.
I was playing it for a couple of minutes and he took the cable out for maybe 5 seconds and put it back in while he was checking with the effects loop...he did this 2 or 3 times...do you know if this will definitely hurt something serious in the amp like transformers..ect.? If this only affects tubes then I'll get it and retube it but I dont want to pay 1000 bucs for an amp thats got something seriuosly wrong with it now. I played it for a couple of minutes after he did it and it sounded ok. I wanted to knock him out with the guitar!!!
Quote by icky_licky
So, while I was playing and testing out a 1980 Marshall JMP master volume head, this sales person at the local music shop proceeded to disconnect the head from the speaker cab while I was playing it. I said wait don't do that, you'll mess up the amp and he said oh it's ok. Won't this mess up the amp somehow..i.e. transformers, tubes, ect.??? Now I don't know if I should still buy the amp. Does anybody know if the amp will be affected? Should I still buy it???

Quote by Tom 1.0
If it still works and you want it...

Yeah.

But if they have an unopened one... Try that and buy that one just to be safe.

God dammit, Tom.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.