In a little more than a week from today, I have jazz band tryouts at my high school. Although I consider myself skilled, I only have major and minor chords memorized. I was wondering what is the best/fastest way to memorize chords, and what chords should I expect for a sight reading etude for a jazz band. Thank You
Learn Chord Construction & Notes on Fretboard. If you cannot name the notes on the fretboard already you are not skilled.
Jazz? You can expect a lot of 7s, 9s, 13s and variations of each. Jazz chords are a wee bit different than your usual cowboy chords. The fingerings are quite a bit different and can take some time to learn and master. Tryouts in a week? Good luck!
major/minor 7ths. I recommend learning the 7th major and minor bar chords. Look them up, play them constantly, take a break, play them without looking and make sure you have them correct. In my jazz class I had to learn a lot of the chords and scales by hearing them on the piano. I went into my schools jazz improvisation class knowing only the major and minors, open and bar, and 1 blues school. Came out with a lot more knowledge, just be confident and do your best, your instructor will pick the person who shows they want to play and learn over the person who already knows everything and has an attitude problem.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Jazz? You can expect a lot of 7s, 9s, 13s and variations of each. Jazz chords are a wee bit different than your usual cowboy chords. The fingerings are quite a bit different and can take some time to learn and master. Tryouts in a week? Good luck!

Very true, they can take along time, but if you work as hard as you can you can expect better results.
If you don't know now there's no way you're going to learn what you need in a week. I'd honestly advise forgetting all about jazz band to save embarrassing yourself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
This:
Quote by RyanGillam
Learn Chord Construction & Notes on Fretboard.

And this:
Quote by steven seagull
If you don't know now there's no way you're going to learn what you need in a week. I'd honestly advise forgetting all about jazz band to save embarrassing yourself.

I think you're really setting yourself up for failure here but whatever, that's not really the point. For jazz you are going to have to know how chords are made, not just know a bunch of shapes; it's one of the two genres where you really have to know theory inside out and if you don't know how chords are made you've got a looooong way to go.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i say go for it.
the basic voicings you can use are root-3rd-7th and root-7th-3rd voicings. for C 7 use
C E Bb
or
C
Bb E
C minor, or minor seven flat five
C Eb Bb
C Bb Eb
C Major seventh
C E B
don't worry about extensions--keep good time, hit the changes well, and know your place rhythmically (don't step on the piano and horn section), practice a lot (sightread real book charts using these voicings every day), and you might make it--worse comes to worse, you'll learn a lot, and know what to expect for next year
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Jazz chords are very tricky, because there are lots of variations. I don't really have any other advise than practicing as much as you can before your tryouts. Good luck!
Quote by steven seagull

I would honestly advise you to do anything but this. You may suck at it. You may even get embarrassed. **** it. Go for it dude. What do you know? Maybe you make the cut. At least try out!
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

There is no magical technique to learn everything over night, if there were... there would be no need for this website and we would all be pro musicans.

With that being said, I say go for it... but play with confidence and as much emotion as you can, but also accept the fact that you dont know everything. And be honest with yourself and the teacher with that. Any good music teacher will give the kid who wants it more the benifit of the doubt. There are guys who can out play you, there probably always will be. But if you play with as much emotion and feeling as you can. Thats something that any good music teacher will be able to spot a mile away. And seeing as Jazz is all about emotion and feel, if I were the music director. Thats the kid I would want in my band... theory and technique will come in time.

You can't teach someone how to play with emotion!!!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at May 5, 2011,
Seriously, you have a LOT to learn and you have VERY limited time. I'd try to fill up this "hole" in your skills as much as possible, but don't forget to prepare for the other aspects of the tryout aswell. Also, when you get tired of playing the guitar, read up on chord construction theory, as the basics aren't that advanced and shouldn't take too long to get down. You'll remember things better if you can connect it to something. Also, you might want to consider so called "study drugs" (essentially some form of ADHD medicine) if you want this bad enough. With the help of these you can stay up all night and concentrate. They come with a risk of heart problems though so it's not to be taken lightly. Whatever you do, be careful and listen to your body. Just throwing it out there...
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Quote by Muffinz
Seriously, you have a LOT to learn and you have VERY limited time. I'd try to fill up this "hole" in your skills as much as possible, but don't forget to prepare for the other aspects of the tryout aswell. Also, when you get tired of playing the guitar, read up on chord construction theory, as the basics aren't that advanced and shouldn't take too long to get down. You'll remember things better if you can connect it to something. Also, you might want to consider so called "study drugs" (essentially some form of ADHD medicine) if you want this bad enough. With the help of these you can stay up all night and concentrate. They come with a risk of heart problems though so it's not to be taken lightly. Whatever you do, be careful and listen to your body. Just throwing it out there...

Did you just suggest he take Ridalin or Adderall !?!?

OP dont do that... other than the fact that it's illegal, both of those drugs are perscription equivalants of Speed. It's not exactly something you want to be messing around with!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
Did you just suggest he take Ridalin or Adderall !?!?

OP dont do that... other than the fact that it's illegal, both of those drugs are perscription equivalants of Speed. It's not exactly something you want to be messing around with!

Not suggesting, I am not for drug use (well most kinds anyway). I was just presenting an option, it is up to him how he wants to live his life. But yeah, it's serious shit and I personally wouldn't probably go down that road unless my life depended on it, but I don't know TS' drug philosophy..
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Play the chords you want to memorize from time to time, this is my way of memorizing since i started playing basic guitar at 9