I know that's its not necessarily a good thing, but I'm mixing a rap song right now and I'm trying to get that "booming" kick drum that you hear in a lot of rap songs, specifically what you hear in a lot of Kid Cudi's songs. How would I EQ and mix the kick track or the mix as a whole to get that booming bass?
Usually that's just 808 samples, there are toooons of them on the web, just google. This is awesome a great plugin for sub bass kicks: http://rekkerd.org/de-la-mancha-releases-subatomic/

Shouldn't be too much EQ or processing to worry about. Most songs that have big 808s in the mix have them server as the bass for the whole song so you don't have to worry about the kicks clashing with a bass track.
alright sweet. So you're saying if I use that 808 I won't actually need a bass track? If do have a bass track though, will it mess with how the kick booms? Because I kind of need a bassline to make the guitar riff sound not monotonous.
What you are hearing are sampled bass drums. An 808 is a bass drop used a lot in metalcore music, I don't really know too much about hiphop.

I would find a good hip hop bass sample then use aptrigga or drummagog.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Um the 808 is used in hip hop and othe genres also. And you probably do want a bassline also. He's just saying that frequency-wise the bass and kick probably won't mask each other
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You're plugging an interface into an interface...

Interfaception

Pls tell me what is Interfaception. and how to solve.

Quote by tr3nt
What you are hearing are sampled bass drums. An 808 is a bass drop used a lot in metalcore music, I don't really know too much about hiphop.

I would find a good hip hop bass sample then use aptrigga or drummagog.

Metalcore 'borrowed' the sub drop from the Roland TR-808, a hiphop drum machine.

@Ts
Basically you're going to have to find where your kick is going to 'boom' frequency wise (http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html) and then make sure your bass track doesn't interfere with that. Side chaining is a very easy way to do this. This will 'duck' your bass track whenever the kick hits.

Could you give some examples of the sound you're going for?
TR-808 is used in a ton of different genres (mostly known in Hip Hop)

If you bumping your kick at 50hz you might wanna drop your bas (if your using bass) down at 50hz to compensate...

Most kicks (not all) though you can make boomy by lowering the highs, take up the lows a bit and plays with your low mids

808 is prob the way you should go though
Do you mean the bass beat in like every measure? That's a lot of 808s
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
If it doesn't already sound like it, then all the EQ, compression, etc. in the world won't make it sound like it.

Can you make a banjo sound like a Les Paul? No. Can you make a tight, jazzy kick drum sound like a booming hip-hop bass drum? Nope.

The 808 was used in all sorts of different genres throughout the '80's - everything from Phil Collins, to Thomas Dolby to Poison to MC Hammer.

In regards to the question at hand, you can't underestimate some of those hip-hop producers. Most of the time, it is NOT just a simple generic sample they're using. Guys like Timbaland and Moby and what-not are really gifted at combining samples and layering stuff together to create new and interesting sounds... the same way a good orchestrator combines clarinets and bassoons to create a sound that has more depth than a clarinet, yet more smooth than a bassoon.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.