I have a bass I stripped to bare alder. I like the grain and want to do a clear finish. I wouldn't mind adding see through color or stain but I want a hard finish so I don't get dents. I currently have a bottle of tru oil, a minwax pecan satin wipe on polyurethane, and krylon acrylic clear. do I need something else or a combination of these to make a nice warm darker tint and hard protective coat?
a stain will give you the tone("Darker tint") and the poly will give you the protection from scratches/dents/moisture
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
so wipe on pecan colored poly urethane would be killing two birds with one stone

Edit: I know what stain is, it's in the name. I am just looking at what gives a hard clear coat, and works with or contains a stain or dye
Last edited by askrere at May 3, 2011,
A bunch of coats of poly will be pretty durable otherwise you can put some kind of bar top epoxy finish on it... now that would be damn near indestructible!
Quote by askrere
so wipe on pecan colored poly urethane would be killing two birds with one stone

Edit: I know what stain is, it's in the name. I am just looking at what gives a hard clear coat, and works with or contains a stain or dye

The tinted poly should be fine for what you want to do. You might want to test on some scrap though... you'd need a lot of coats for durability but tinted poly will get darker with each application... and if you want it glossy and smooth you need enough coats than you can sand it back and buff it...
Quote by samhell
A bunch of coats of poly will be pretty durable otherwise you can put some kind of bar top epoxy finish on it... now that would be damn near indestructible!

I'm doing a guitar with a two part bar top type epoxy. It's not easy to work with on a guitar. Its a snap on a table or anything one sided like that, but its a devil getting the edge smooth cuz you can't do both sides at once, so you always get a line and other crap where the latest side meets the previous side.