So... last week, I was at Guitar Center to buy some stuff. Strings... or something. Idk. And I sat down to play a Squier Classic Vibe strat that I've been eyeing for some time now and I really liked the amp that I was playing it through so... I bought it. Actually, it wasn't THAT impulsive... I needed a small amp in the worst way. The JCA20 is not a quiet amp. It's nothing even close to a practice amp. Especially not going through a greenback loaded 4x12. So I sold and bought the Super Champ instead.

Now... earlier today, I was sitting in my office watching Pink Floyd's "Live at Pompeii" during lunch and thought to myself... I should get myself a delay. So... I don't know shit about delay pedals, but a quick googling revealed to me that most people seem to like the MXR Carbon Copy and EHX Memory Boy for decent delays under $200. So I went to GC and they had the MXR but not the EHX. So... I bought the MXR. I hear that the EHX one has a few more options... and it's cheaper, so I may end up returning the MXR tomorrow if they get the Memory Boy in. I'm going to try them both at one point and decide but hey, I figured I might as well take one home and try it out. I must be ****ing deaf though, because I can't tell a huge difference between this and using the delay settings in Garageband. If someone wants to tell me what they think I should do regarding this. Speak up.

Since the sticky says I have to have two of either pics/review/clips in here, I figure I'll do pics and clips since I'm not in the mood to write anything extensive. I feel like these are both common enough that most folks know what the deal is. HOWEVER, I really don't know how I'm supposed to use the delay. If anyone has suggestions for good uses, throw them at me.

CLIP:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/al112987/music/all/play992696

and

PIC:

Last edited by al112987 at May 3, 2011,
Good stuff man. Im a fan of those champs and MXR pedals too.

HNA + PD!

EDIT: Wow that clip was sweet. What was that?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at May 3, 2011,
Thanks! It's a just a bit of Pink Floyd's "Echoes". I don't know the whole thing, just the first part of that solo.

Speaking of which, does anyone want to build me a decent fuzz? Or recommend me a decent fuzz for this kind of thing? The one I'm using sounds more like an overdrive than a fuzz.
Quote by al112987
Speaking of which, does anyone want to build me a decent fuzz? Or recommend me a decent fuzz for this kind of thing? The one I'm using sounds more like an overdrive than a fuzz.

http://www.toyroomguitareffects.com/

Tim's a nice guy. See if you can get something from him.

Do you like the Carbon Copy?

Happy new pedal and amp day!
Quote by al112987
decent fuzz?

Quote by jetwash69
Muff.

I r confused.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I actually like the Russian big muffs but they don't sound fuzz-ish enough to me. The girl in the video sounds like she is just using a straight up OD pedal, which has always been the big thing about me and the Muff. I may just end up building a Fuzz Face clone. I imagine it shouldn't cost more than $25-$30 in parts and take more than maybe an hour.
Fuzz Face fuzz iz best fuzz.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Ask in Pedalboard or WTLT. John would know better than I.

Maybe I'll just buy a kit. If I was building a bunch of pedals, it'd probably be worht it to source all the parts myself, but I think for one, I might as well just pay the markup to have someone do it for me.
Well if you want a Muff, you're going to want a Civil War or Triangle Muff, pretty different from the Russian I think. Stomp Under Foot makes clones of those pedals for not too much money.

Either way, the clips sound great. Nice playing.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks, I'm quite proud of the sound I got on the clip because it was recorded on a rig so cheap. Total cost of the recording (not including the guitar)?

$199 for the amp, $150 for the carbon copy, $20 for the fuzz pedal, $110 for the mic and $50 for the interface. ANDDDD it's being played literally at tiny volumes, my roommates are both studying in adjacent rooms. I can't even hear it unless I monitor it through garage band, the unplugged sound of the guitar drowns it out, the volume is THAT low. But I think it sounds pretty good recorded.

I may end up returning it tomorrow and getting the Electro-Harmonix one instead. It IS $30 cheaper and I could use that money to put towards a decent fuzz. A les paul is definitely too fat for this song though. Too bad my strat won't be finished for at least another 2 months.
A Fuzz Face is really easy to build. If you need some Ge transistors, lemme know. I've got bunches.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by al112987
I actually like the Russian big muffs but they don't sound fuzz-ish enough to me. The girl in the video sounds like she is just using a straight up OD pedal, which has always been the big thing about me and the Muff. I may just end up building a Fuzz Face clone. I imagine it shouldn't cost more than $25-$30 in parts and take more than maybe an hour.

Yeah, thought that'd be where you're coming from. I don't have a Muff, but I use Muff models on MFX to get the tone I want from my 100w Marshall tube half-stack. (flameshield up).

I don't know if Laura-Mary used the fuzz in that song, but she has one on her pedalboard. I get that tone with the MFX Muff going through my JVM's crunch channel on the orange gain stage. Really have a tough time getting that delay through the MFX, even when mixed with a tremolo effect. Sadly, I can get closer with my RP-355 than with the GNX4.

No real pedals in my near future, though, as what I really need next is Ableton Live, controlled by one of these: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Keith-McMillen-Instruments-SoftStep?sku=H70412.
You might be able to use a board from Radio Shack if the circuit is simple enough.

Printing your own boards isn't that hard either--you might want to eventually get into that, too. It's a hobby all on it's own.
I wouldn't be surprised if she was using a big muff. Getting that sort of sound is well within its boundaries.

I'm not really all that familiar with using delays, this is my first one, so they all sort of sound the same to me at this point.

I have no idea where to even start as far as printing a board goes. My knowledge of electronics goes only as far as 2nd level college electricity and magnetism.
Quote by al112987
I wouldn't be surprised if she was using a big muff. Getting that sort of sound is well within its boundaries.

I'm not really all that familiar with using delays, this is my first one, so they all sort of sound the same to me at this point.

I have no idea where to even start as far as printing a board goes. My knowledge of electronics goes only as far as 2nd level college electricity and magnetism.

I've only used the delays on MFX and I don't think they're that good--it's been pretty frustrating. The reason I posted the Blood Red Shoes vid is because she uses the delay heavily in the beginning and the end (that noise before they start is probably just a loop sampled into the drummer's Roland SPD-S--I'm talking about right after she picks up the guitar and starts playing).

As for printing (or rather etching) your own boards, a little time with Google and YouTube should tell you all you need to know to decide whether its for you or not, and if so, then what to do. It's not rocket science or engineering and your 2nd level college course is far more than most hobyists get.

Either way, if you build a pedal, I'm sure we'll all want to hear samples and see pix. Good luck and have fun!