So, My band has a gig. I am moving, and am flying out the day after the gig. I cant take my amp on the plane. So, it has to get this weekend when my dad drives out. We have one amp then, but two guitarists. We have a fender 15r, you know that one in the squier starter packs. Those dont sound good. We would borrow an amp but we dont want to seem like we shouldnt be playing cause we dont have our own gear. How much would shipping from Colorado Springs to Dallas Texas cost? I have a vypyr 30 amp. Would it be extremely expensive to ship? Should we just borrow an amp?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
The cool thing to do would be to hitch hike down to Dallas with the guitar slung on your back, neck down, and carrying your Vypyr with the non-thumbing had. Bonus points if a chick hangs with you and shows some leg to get drivers to stop.

Or you could borrow an amp. It will probably cost more to ship your amp than the gig will pay you.

But Dallas will be cool, and if you can make it down to Austin, it will be even cooler. Blows Colorado, or anywhere else on this planet, out of the water. And people borrow amps down in Austin all the time.

Good luck.
Good thing you specified it's a Delonge ES355 in your profile; for a minute I thought it was the Fallout Boy dude's signature guitar. Maybe it's not that close, but I just remember it has a stripe and headline said he's a real shredder even though at the time he played for FOB.

Tom's much cooler than that dude, so you're still OK.
Hiring is a good option if you aren't gigging all the time. It has the added advantage of allowing you to try lots of different amps. You never know what you will run into at hire joints - "I think I'll try the Sunn Model T tonight."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
jet, the hitch hiking was a good idea. I already got my ticket though. And, Fall Out Boy's guitarist dont play semi-hollows, nor guitars with racing stripes...
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Quote by jakesc8
jet, the hitch hiking was a good idea. I already got my ticket though. And, Fall Out Boy's guitarist dont play semi-hollows, nor guitars with racing stripes...

Yeah, you're so right. Shows how little attention I paid to those 2 articles in GW. Turns out I was thinking about this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5135PS/. Yep, it's not the "shredder's", it's Stump's. Turns out that what's-his-face's (lead guitar) sig models are made by Wasburn (like Hanna Monatana's) and one of them looks like Zacky's designer purse sig model. No hollows or racing stripes for him.

But Stump's does have racing stripes, although it's not a hollow body. I think I was thinking it was a hollow body 'cause I remembered that I was like, "Gretsch making a sig for FOB...WTF?". And Gretsch is known for their hollowbodies. So when I saw a hollowbody with stripes I automatically thought about that guitar, even though I knew for sure the FOB sig model wasn't an EPI.

I didn't realize Delonge had an EPI sig--every time I saw that online I thought of FOB, not Blink. I always associate Delonge w/his sig Strat/Squiers w/1 Duncan Invader pup and 1 control.

Anyway, break a leg at the gig and have a safe flight to Texas. Great place to live. And thanks for helping me brush up on sig model trivia and clearing up a misperception.
Last edited by jetwash69 at May 4, 2011,
Haha, I used to think of the strat, until I got the epi. Thanks.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Just hire your gear. A decent valve amp would be what? $30-40. It's a common thing to do, especially for touring bands or those who don't own a full arsenal of pro gear and are starting to gig seriously.
Don't worry what others think and if they complain that it's not your gear. Heck, who'd know anyway? Just let your playing do the talking; you should be more worried about that when thinking if you deserve to play the gig. Seeing as you have a gig, I'm sure someone thinks you can play.

So basically, just hire from a music store. It'll likely cost less than freight or the same, and you'll be playing on a proper valve amp rather than practice amps. Good luck and most importantly have fun!
Where can I hire from? Guitar Center doesn't do it, and neither does the other chain around here. Theres really no other stores.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

You might have to go to Denver to rent an amp. Maybe the venue can give you a tip on something closer. But I wouldn't discuss that with the current venue--maybe another one you played before. Or you can check and see what other bands are playing and see if they'll let you play on theirs. If you have an MFX pedal, you can plug right into the house PA with a stage XLR cable. Just don't forget to engage the speaker compensation. Some guys do this for every gig, especially if they have something like a GNX4, POD XT Live, POD HD500, Eleven Rack, or an Axe Fx.
We have a boss MFX. How do you do the speaker compensation?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

I used to hire amps from a rehearsal studio joint. They usually have amps to hire to people using the rooms and will hire them out for gigs as well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So how do I turn on the speaker compensation? And can you link me a good XLR?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

The crappy thing about Boss MFX is none of them (at least not the pedals) have balanced out (XLR or even 1/4" TRS). So you'd have to plug it in through a DI Box at most venues to convert it to the XLR safely. There are 1/4" to XLR adapters, but you risk blowing out your MFX or the house's mixer if you don't get it right, so I strongly discourage that.

If you do have a DI Box available, then plug an instrument cable from the line out (left) output jack on the MFX and plug the other end to the input jack on the DI Box. Then plug the XLR cable on the stage into the DI Box's output. You can do this with an unused XLR line on the stage, or unplug one of the mics and use its cable. Here's how to get "speaker compensation" out of a Boss GT-8 (check the manual for the others, but probably similar)

Boss GT-8?

1. Press OUTPUT SELECT until “Output Select”
appears in the display.
2. Turn the PATCH/VALUE dial to choose the
desired option (in this case
Select: LINE/PHONES
3. Press EXIT when you’re finished.

I'm disappointed with Roland that they didn't include XLR outputs on any of their Boss MFX pedals, even the ones that cost over $500. Even my $200 digitech RP-355 has 2 XLR outputs with a simple speaker compensation button right by the jacks so you don't have to surf through menus like you do on the Boss unit. Line 6 MFX is the same. I don't know about Vox or any of the others, though. Oh well.

Not sure what you're looking for with an XLR link?

Good luck. When's the gig?
The gig is May 20th. I dont know what kind of boss it is. Its not GT-8. its smaller. I think the ME-25. What DI should I get? is the $20 Beringer good enough? Its a small place. I dont know about XLRs, but I think we have an extra. Ill see tomorrow.

EDIT---
If we did 1/4 to XLR, would this

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=1/4+to+XLR&hl=en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=677&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=18398080966215502298&sa=X&ei=L2zDTYKrKMOTtwfx34ybBA&ved=0CLEBEPMCMAc#

work?

And what do we have to do to this right?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Last edited by jakesc8 at May 5, 2011,
Quote by jakesc8
The gig is May 20th. I dont know what kind of boss it is. Its not GT-8. its smaller. I think the ME-25. What DI should I get? is the $20 Beringer good enough? Its a small place. I dont know about XLRs, but I think we have an extra. Ill see tomorrow.

EDIT---
If we did 1/4 to XLR, would this

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=1/4+to+XLR&hl=en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=677&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=18398080966215502298&sa=X&ei=L2zDTYKrKMOTtwfx34ybBA&ved=0CLEBEPMCMAc#

work?

And what do we have to do to this right?

There are a couple of problems with that cable. First, if you're using the venue's house PA and they have a permanent, professional set-up, then they'll have the mixing console mounted away from the stage, connected with a snake. They'll probably have 8-24 channels, which will allow that many XLR cables to be plugged into the receptacle. Lots of times there will already be an unused XLR that you can snag for that, or an mic hooked up that you don't need (like the one you might have mic'd a cab with, if you used an actual amp). So with that cable, it won't plug into the socket on stage, or onto the ends of any available cables on stage either, since that's got a female XLR end. The other problem is that it's a "TRS" plug on the 1/4" side (tip, ring, sleeve), or 3-conductor, so the cable is "balanced" and low-impedence. The Boss MFXs have "phono" jack outputs, so they are "TS" (tip, sleeve) and 2-conductor and "unbalanced" and high impedence. That's why you'll need a DI box or a male 1/4" phono high impedence to XLR male low impedence adapter plug (never seen one of those; don't know if they make it, but why not just use a DI Box instead?).

A $20 Behringer DI Box should get you through 1 gig at least, and could be a good thing to have in your kit. I use a Samson stereo DI Box, but I have it for hooking up digital drums to house PAs. The stereo came in handy when I had issues with a vocal tube pre-amp I use to power our stage monitor. We ran mono drums & vocals through right channel in the Behringer Xenyx 502 to our stage monitor and then just vocals through the left channel to DI box to the house PA. We used the 502's built-in mic preamp for the monitor The drums were also coming out the DI Box directly to the house PA on the other DI Box channel. OK, yeah that's complicated, but it shows the utility of a stereo DI Box--otherwise we wouldn't have had vocals in the monitor, and our singer wouldn't have done the show 'cause she couldn't afford to hurt her voice with other committments she had. So yeah, as you probably noticed, I use Behringer gear sometimes.

Our 2.5 year old keyboard amp that we use for the digital drums at home is a Behringer too, but it hasn't been great. It gets a popping noise through the RCA inputs, and recently that got so bad that it pops and hisses even when there's nothing plugged into the RCA. Good thing we got the extended warranty--GC just sent me a check to replace the whole unit since it's too expensive to mail a 65 pound combo amp back and forth for repair.

So you might be happier with Samson than Behringer. I had to send back my first Samson, too, but that wasn't bad. The battery terminal was defective and the contact broke off, stuck to the 9v battery's terminal--the contact looked weak, so I tested it right after receiving the DI Box. Good thing, 'cause failed as soon as I unplugged the battery. B&H let me buy another and return the defective one for a full refund, so that only set me back a few days. I could have fixed it myself easily enough, but I didn't want to void the warranty. Now that the warranty has run out I installed a 9v jack on it so I can power it on a pedal board along with the vocal preamp and the 5-channel Behringer mixer. That setup is great when the venue doesn't have their own stage monitors, cause we just plug their mic cable to the pre-amp XLR output, and run its 1/4 output into the mixer, along with the DI Box's 1/4" pass-through for drums, then out to our stage monitors. Before I had that gear, one venue tried to plug my 100w powered wedge into their powered board--that would have been ugly to say the least. Now we have a safe setup for small venues that won't hurt our gear or theirs, no matter what.

So yeah, you can use the Boss with a DI Box and all you need is an extra guitar cable to go from the Boss to the DI Box. Then use the house's stage cable into the DI Box. To be safe, you might want a standard XLR cable (15-25 feet should be enough, depending on the size of the stage) with male on one end and famale on the other, in case the house doesn't have an unused cable on the stage, but they do have an open jack on their snake. Or in case the house's XLR cable sux. Whatever you do, don't get the cheap XLR cable from GC or Musician's Friend--those only work once, then they don't hold. MF is notorious for sending the crap ones when you order the LiveWires. GC sells both, but you're OK if you get the low-end ones in LiveWire packaging. Stay away from the Hosas.

If you have your own PA, or the venue uses a small PA right up on the stage, then the mixer/power amp might accept unbalanced inputs. If that's the case, then turn down the pre-amp knob on the mixer (all the way to "line" instead of "mic") and then just use a guitar cable between the Boss's left output and the mixer's 1/4" unbalanced (or unbalanced/balanced) input jack. But not all mixers accept unbalanced (TS) inputs, so don't try it if you're not sure. And don't do it for more than 25 feet of cable.

Hope this helps without being too complicated. If you want to keep it simple, then get the DI Box and use it like I described. If you might ever use it to record, then don't get a Behringer box.

Either way, good luck, and be sure to post video on the web of the gig, along with a link in your profile.
BTW, I googled and couldn't find an adapter with the right genders. You could get one with a female XLR side and also get a male-to-male XLR adapter.

But by then you've spent as much or more than a DI box would have cost, and it'll have less features than the box.
You can calculate shipping online at usps.com or ups.com just throw in zip codes, weight, and dimension.

I would honestly just rent an amp for that one gig. You're right, most music stores won't let you.

You could buy one from GC and then return it under the 30 policy. Otherwise, you'll need to locate a backline company. Just run a google search for your city.
We found an amp to borrow. But thanks. I will look into a DI.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves