Here's something I think you guys will find interesting... Traded my old '85 MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster for this little number...

Never seen anything like it... well, I mean I have, but not under the Charvel name. When I think of Charvels, I think of hair metal superstrats, not single coil Telecasters...

What's interesting is it has the old-style logo on the headstock and an unfinished neck, which are telltale signs of American-made Charvels. But it has the Ft. Worth neckplate, which is supposedly only found on Japanese models. So I'm not quite sure. But I'm going to assume it's Japanese. I can hardly find any info on this guitar, all I know is they hardly made any of them, I think it was around a hundred or so. That sounds right to me, because I've never seen one, in my life. Those dice knobs are original, by the way, according to what little info I could find.

It plays great, the bridge pickup screams through my '78 Marshall 2203, and the neck pickup is soft and mellow. It plays just how a Tele should play. The action is perfect (guy before me just set it up), and the unfinished maple neck feels great. Rosewood fingerboard, which is my favorite. What's weird is the toggle switch is backwards, in the "up" position the bridge pickup is active, and vice versa. Don't know if it came like that, or if someone took it apart at one time and wired it backwards or something. Also, I think there's something wrong with the volume knob, it completely cuts off if you try to turn it down, but it works fine as long as you don't mess with it. But that's all I can really complain about.

All in all, it's a perfect addition to my arsenal. I have a Tony Iommi SG for humbucking applications, so it's cool to have a Tele for that totally different sound when I need it.
If there was a guitar to pry my Fender Contemporary out of my hands that might be it.

Grats man and Happy NGD.
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Those dice knobs are awesome.

It's weird because it's more or less a conservative Tele copy other than those knobs.
What's cool if I remember right,those knobs should be stock from the factory. I'm lookin at thing again and damn,it's clean.

My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
They are stock from the factory. I said so in the post. Thanks guys, I love it. I think it was a pretty good trade... according to Guitar Center, the Strat was worth $400 (they were gonna give me $200)... no idea what this thing is worth, but it seems like it has to be worth at least as much, if not more.

Plus, the Strat had some things wrong with it... it had a locking trem, but at some point I lost the screws and washers for the nut. The bridge on it was so weird it scared people away from it, I'm glad I was able to get a decent trade for it,
OOOOHHHH daddy wants a new plaything.

HNGD.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I think someone may of stuck new electronics in it, cause faulty pots tend to cut out like that, like most of the brand spanken new pots I've been using lately have been doing. It pisses me off.

Very nice find.

The guy claims it's completely stock... although the bridge pickup is pretty hot by Tele standards. One other problem I've noticed is a light "zap" noise when you touch the strings or bridge... obviously a ground issue. I'm contemplating tearing into it sometime and trying to fix it, or maybe just take it to a tech so I don't mess anything up. I hate having to solder. Don't have the steadiest hands.

I was hoping hoping to find someone else who's seen one of these... I've never had the pleasure to own a guitar that no one knew what the hell it was.
Last edited by CaptDin at May 4, 2011,
Quote by CaptDin
The guy claims it's completely stock... although the bridge pickup is pretty hot by Tele standards. One other problem I've noticed is a light "zap" noise when you touch the strings or bridge... obviously a ground issue. I'm contemplating tearing into it sometime and trying to fix it, or maybe just take it to a tech so I don't mess anything up. I hate having to solder. Don't have the steadiest hands.

I was hoping hoping to find someone else who's seen one of these... I've never had the pleasure to own a guitar that no one knew what the hell it was.

Interesting. I've had a AXL Mayhem Clutch, and nobody knew what the hell it was, too bad it wasn't that great of a guitar.
Well, with this thing, most people are going to be like, "oh, a Telecaster), until they see the headstock...
Quote by CaptDin
Well, with this thing, most people are going to be like, "oh, a Telecaster), until they see the headstock...

that's whats throwing me.

what years did charvels come with fender headstocks in the 80s?

i don't remember those or any fender stocks from the 80's being on charvels myself.

very cool tele. (i probably ignored them back them because i was mezmorized by the model 2 hehe).

really nice find.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Nice! Glad you like it.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by gregs1020
that's whats throwing me.

what years did charvels come with fender headstocks in the 80s?

i don't remember those or any fender stocks from the 80's being on charvels myself.

very cool tele. (i probably ignored them back them because i was mezmorized by the model 2 hehe).

really nice find.

I think this is the only mass-produced Charvel to come with a Strat headstock... the only other ones I know of are the San Dimas ones.

I'm having a hard time decided if it's American or Japanese, because it has the Fort Worth neckplate like the Japanese ones, but it has the older style logo on the headstock, plus, it says "USA" under the logo... Not to mention it cost $1200 new! For that kind of money, you'd think it would be American-made...
Hello i have this guitae now and had it checked out its the real deal from ft. worth can u tell me some stuff about it
u
Quote by CaptDin
Here's something I think you guys will find interesting... Traded my old '85 MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster for this little number...

Never seen anything like it... well, I mean I have, but not under the Charvel name. When I think of Charvels, I think of hair metal superstrats, not single coil Telecasters...

What's interesting is it has the old-style logo on the headstock and an unfinished neck, which are telltale signs of American-made Charvels. But it has the Ft. Worth neckplate, which is supposedly only found on Japanese models. So I'm not quite sure. But I'm going to assume it's Japanese. I can hardly find any info on this guitar, all I know is they hardly made any of them, I think it was around a hundred or so. That sounds right to me, because I've never seen one, in my life. Those dice knobs are original, by the way, according to what little info I could find.

It plays great, the bridge pickup screams through my '78 Marshall 2203, and the neck pickup is soft and mellow. It plays just how a Tele should play. The action is perfect (guy before me just set it up), and the unfinished maple neck feels great. Rosewood fingerboard, which is my favorite. What's weird is the toggle switch is backwards, in the "up" position the bridge pickup is active, and vice versa. Don't know if it came like that, or if someone took it apart at one time and wired it backwards or something. Also, I think there's something wrong with the volume knob, it completely cuts off if you try to turn it down, but it works fine as long as you don't mess with it. But that's all I can really complain about.

All in all, it's a perfect addition to my arsenal. I have a Tony Iommi SG for humbucking applications, so it's cool to have a Tele for that totally different sound when I need it.