So as the day the ap music theory approaches, I'm progressively getting more and more worried. In class we practice with previous free response questions and I just can't seem to get the notation portions.

Does anyone have any tips for those?
If you don't know what I'm talking about, there's a section where you have to notate a melody that is played to you as well as a section where you have to notate the soprano and bass lines along with the chord analysis.
Practice, practice, practice. You're talking about dictation correct? There is no way around dictation other than practicing and practicing.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Practice, practice, practice. You're talking about dictation correct? There is no way around dictation other than practicing and practicing.

Yeah that what I'm talking about. Would you say its better to get rhythm first before starting on pitch?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1305659

My experience is in here somewhere (since I did post the thread...)

EDIT:
Quote by xGoozx
Yeah that what I'm talking about. Would you say its better to get rhythm first before starting on pitch?

Rhythm. And then bass and melody is what always helped me. After that, just fill in everything else.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at May 3, 2011,
Quote by xGoozx

Hmmm. Yeah. If you can't get the rhythm down, you'll be even more wrong. But they do judge you on contour as well. It's all important. But yeah, start with rhythm.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Teoria.com has some ear training exercises
You can practice there.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
notate the rhythm, then the melody in solfege syllables (if you know them) or interval designations (root, 2nd, third etc.) above the staff, then fill in the notation after your done dictating (make sure to avoid mistakes).
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Well, like everyone else has said, you just have to practice.

A really good site we used in my music theory class is, ironically enough, musictheory.net ha

It's a great site with lessons to not only teach you but also get reacquainted with stuff you kind of forgot.

The exercise section is great, their should be rhythm section, I believe.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness