Alright I'm trying to come up with a fast bass intro, but whenever I try to play it usually you hear a loud slapping sound (which is me hitting the notes) over the actual notes themselves, I was wondering how I could prevent this (already tried cutting my finger nails pretty much off and that slightly helped).

I google'd it and kept getting crap about slap bass playing style.
it could be your stings hitthing the fret board as a result of hitting the strings too hard or something with your jack cable or amp
how hard are you hitting the strings with your picking hand? i find that i sometimes unintentionally play with more intensity if at a fast part.
poop
is it the strings slapping against the fretboard or any part of the neck?
and yeah, how hard are you attacking the strings with your right hand and where are u playing "between neck and bridge" when u hit the strings
Try a foam mute under the strings?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by ethan_hanus
Use a pick, I know bass elitists hate it, but if your gona play that fast, use a pick, you'll have alot more control of the strings that way.

Not trying to say you shouldn't learn with a pick (you should!), but playing fast doesn't necessarily mean you lose control. Look at Gary Willis - no matter what Tribal Tech puts him through, his right hand is always "calm". Of course, this is an extreme example (after all, he is renowned for his right hand technique), but with enough practice, there is always total control.
poop
Quote by Derok2008
it could be your stings hitthing the fret board as a result of hitting the strings too hard or something with your jack cable or amp

Hitting the strings too hard on the fret, and maybe picking too.

And yeah I use my fingers (too whoever told me to use a pick) and I was considering switching over, or being slightly ambidextrous with it and use both, by switching off in mid song.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Hitting the strings too hard on the fret, and maybe picking too.

And yeah I use my fingers (too whoever told me to use a pick) and I was considering switching over, or being slightly ambidextrous with it and use both, by switching off in mid song.

I like to switch off, I use picks for when there is alot of distortion and things are upbeat, then when it slows down and is calmer I like to use my fingers. Works better for dynamics.
maybe turn then tone back a bit, or try flat wounds, if it's the strings clanking to much
Perhaps your action is too low.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Use a pick, I know bass elitists hate it, but if your gona play that fast, use a pick, you'll have alot more control of the strings that way.

And just... No.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at May 4, 2011,
If you are hitting too hard inward, your string could be "sticking" or reacting magnetically to the pickups.
Ethan has a point. When you play fast, the hand has a tendency to put more force downwards towards the body of the bass and the fretboard. This translates into the sound of you hitting the fretboard.

With a pick, that doesn't happen. The direction of movement tends to stick much closer to parallel to the body of the bass.

Of course, to do it with fingers you just need to relax and practice. You have too much tension currently if you're not in control.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I'd advise you to play with the tips of your fingers more so than the pads, which would help lessen the impact and soften your touch. It might take some getting used to, but if you train yourself to use it it can really help tighten up your faster playing and clean up your sound.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
To me, it sounds more like the strings are contacting the pole-pieces of the pickups. I've had this happen a few times, especially when playing finger style as the string vibrations tend to vibrate at a different angle than playing with a pick, causing them to make contact with the pickups, creating that popping sound.

If you aren't getting any fret buzz, and there's still that clanking popping sound... just lower your puckups a bit and see if that helps.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at May 4, 2011,
When I had this problem, I moved my hand more over the strings.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Raise your bridge just a little bit at a time and compare until you're happy with it. And bring your tone down a little.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Quote by mauler5858
If you are hitting too hard inward, your string could be "sticking" or reacting magnetically to the pickups.

Maybe when playing fast you have a tendency to play inwards due to lack of control try making sure you play upwards like normal.
E Family
E-Son to OldiebutNewbie
E-Brother to Andrea55
E-Brother to guitarxo
E-Uncle to Basti95