I tried my best to throw in the extra notes that are in the minor scale as opposed to just playing the pentatonic scale,but I can't help it all I hear is the pentatonic.I play a mix of rock,funk,reggae,blues and afro and when I solo my ears and hands wanna do is play the blues scale.Those extra notes just don't fit in.Am I missing something?
slow down, use a metronome and warm your hands up to the new notes, your hands are too used to specific shapes and you will never break that cycle playing at full speed.

EDIT: I forgot, try not to think of it in shapes, learn the notes on the fret board and try to name each note as you play it, this will help you break out of the shapes, allowing you to play any scale....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Last edited by krypticguitar87 at May 3, 2011,
you've been playing a lot of pentatonics, you've been playing the minor for less. the stuff you do more of, you do better. that's all there is to it. you hear the pentatonics better because they're burned into your brain. you know how to get to the notes, and how they relate.
the more time you spend on something, the more it influences tomorrow's sound. there's always going to be some element of comfort and struggle. just relax and listen to it happen.
Quote by AeolianWolf
sounds like the guitar is playing you.

+1

The only sounds that come out of the guitar are the ones you tell it to make. Now, if you're not hearing the sounds of the natural minor in your head when it comes to deciding what to play then I don't really see the problem. Nobody's forcing you to use those extra two notes, and if they don't seem to fit with what you're playing...well, maybe they don't actually fit.

In all honesty it's up to you to decide what sounds "good" and what doesn't when you're playing, and if the natural minor scale isn't working in the context of the music you play then I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Certainly as far as blues and reggae goes I'd be inclined to say that no, those extra two notes won't necessarily fit, and will certainly be difficult to accomodate. The wider intervals of the minor pentatonic are better suited to those styles, especially since they tend to be written in major keys. In that situation you're using the minor pentatonic over the parallel minor which always sounds good for those styles, but yes, the 2nd and 6th are going to sound jarring in that situation.

Try using the natural minor over something in a minor key, even just a bakcing track - you'll probably find it a lot easier to work with.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
+1

The only sounds that come out of the guitar are the ones you tell it to make. Now, if you're not hearing the sounds of the natural minor in your head when it comes to deciding what to play then I don't really see the problem. Nobody's forcing you to use those extra two notes, and if they don't seem to fit with what you're playing...well, maybe they don't actually fit.

In all honesty it's up to you to decide what sounds "good" and what doesn't when you're playing, and if the natural minor scale isn't working in the context of the music you play then I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Certainly as far as blues and reggae goes I'd be inclined to say that no, those extra two notes won't necessarily fit, and will certainly be difficult to accomodate. The wider intervals of the minor pentatonic are better suited to those styles, especially since they tend to be written in major keys. In that situation you're using the minor pentatonic over the parallel minor which always sounds good for those styles, but yes, the 2nd and 6th are going to sound jarring in that situation.

Try using the natural minor over something in a minor key, even just a bakcing track - you'll probably find it a lot easier to work with.

I did what you said and it worked like a charm.I found this backing track on youtube,played to it and it was great.Thanx a lot.