What is your opinion on downloading music for free? (do you download or buy CDs?)

Poll: CDs or Downloads?
Poll Options
View poll results: CDs or Downloads?
CD
58 48%
Download
41 34%
Other
23 19%
Voters: 122.
Page 1 of 2
I've always bought CDs, and will continue too. I like having the physical copy of it, and I also love the fact that the CD has higher sound quality.

That being said, if I want a song right away so I can put it on my iPod or something (I downloaded a couple songs tonight so I could listen to them tomorrow while I work out) I'll download it, but get the CD sooner or later.
Last edited by IbanezKorn at May 4, 2011,
I think the entire concept of music as a packaged product should be abandoned altogether.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I do both. I like having a physical copy of albums. A lot of times I'll buy things I've already downloaded, but sometimes money's tight & a particular CD is expensive, or maybe hard to find, so it's off to the internetz.
I buy CDs for bands whom I know that I like. I like having a physical CD.

I'll download music if I want to check something out, like a band I've never heard before. I'm not going to waste money on a CD I don't like because one person said they were a good band. If I like them enough, odds are I'll buy their albums. If I don't like it, then I saved myself 15 dollars.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Both. If I like it enough/have enough money to spare, I'll go out and buy it. If not I'll stick with my downloaded songs.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I think the entire concept of music as a packaged product should be abandoned altogether.

I agree, but that's never going to happen.
I'll download first then buy if the product is worth the money. Same goes for movies and games... buying the movie offers the extras and buying the game offer online play unlike the pirated versions.
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Quote by JayT44

I'll download music if I want to check something out, like a band I've never heard before. I'm not going to waste money on a CD I don't like because one person said they were a good band. If I like them enough, odds are I'll buy their albums. If I don't like it, then I saved myself 15 dollars.

I'm with you. I don't understand why record companies can't use that to their advantage.
I only download, pretty much. Very rarely do I buy a cd. Unless it's like a vinyl record, because those are fun to have.
I'll buy music if I can, but if it is something that I can't get here in the US, or something I can't import or that isn't in print anymore I will have to download it.

Most of the music that I have downloaded in the past, I have actually went back and bought the albums - if it is worth my time to listen to, it is worth my money to buy.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I like to have the actual CD so I can rip it in high quality. Your average download sounds embarrassing.

I think it's time we blow this scene
Get everybody and the stuff together
Okay
Let's jam

BLAAAAAAAM THIS CRAP
I support going back to CDs and cassettes even.

As for how i get my music, i download.... in a questionably legal way >.>
I'm not trying to be a hypocrite, its just that I'm in a situation where i cant just buy CDs like the rest of you. Personal thing.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by Xiaoxi

Got it in the first reply.

EDIT: As I always do in these threads, I'm going to clarify my position on downloads and the industry: that is, the industry has the foresight of blind retarded monkey for not embracing downloads. Imagine if the industry teamed up with Demonoid/Pirate Bay/etc. You can download whatever you want for free, and the industry makes their money through advertising. Everybody wins: the consumers get their music for free, the industry, and more importantly, the artist gets paid, and the torrent sites go legit. I know I'd sure as hell sit through some ads if it meant I could download music legally and free.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at May 4, 2011,
Nothing is more satisfying than purchasing a CD for me. It feels good, man. My rule is; download two songs from album. If I like, I purchase. If not, well odds are it gets deleted or sits on my system. As stated above, another upside is better quality. Nothing makes me more mad than this low quality version of Orchid I downloaded before I bought the album. I never wanted to listen to Opeth again.
I only buy for bands that I really like. If I want to try something out, I'll download it and then buy it. Plus, I'm a huge concert goer, so that'll make up for it as well. Also, when I'm super rich, I plan to buy every single CD in my digital library that I do not own.
I download, but justify it by going to their concerts if they come out here. Doesn't really work, because I'd probably go anyway.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Both, although the greatest part of my music was downloaded from internet, I really like buying albums. Nothing compares to having physical contact with the music, somehow...

In fact, I recently oredered and got my copy of "Onset of Putrefaction" by Necrophagist!
and have almost all Megadeth's discography... So buying albums is awesome!

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

Quote by :Vicious--
I support going back to CDs and cassettes even.

As for how i get my music, i download.... in a questionably legal way >.>
I'm not trying to be a hypocrite, its just that I'm in a situation where i cant just buy CDs like the rest of you. Personal thing.

This.
I like having physical CDs. I also think paying for music makes you appreciate it more.
PM me for newts
The only working CD player I have is my computer. Although, if a band I love is coming out with a new album I'll usually preorder the CD/t-shirt package or something.

I abandoned stealing music a little while ago, I find it makes me appreciate the music I have much more. However, occasionally I am forced to when the album I want isn't available in the US and I'd otherwise have to import it on ebay for like $40.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by JayT44

This.

Even then I never buy CDs new unless they're some kind of special release. Used Records stores probably have my picture.
Quote by StewieSwan
I like having physical CDs. I also think paying for music makes you appreciate it more.

This is basically my position on it as well. However, a lot of CDs aren't available here in Colombia, and you're crazy if you think I'm going to pay the ridiculous International Shipping fees, so I prefer to download music I can't find.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
I know I'd sure as hell sit through some ads if it meant I could download music legally and free.

Why sit through ads for free, legal music downloads when you could not sit through ads for free, illegal music downloads?

I hate ads, they make me very irate.
If having people listen to your music isn't enough, then you're no longer a musician. You're a business person. At least with how it is today.

Here's my take on it, but bear in mind that I'm just an ignorant 16 year old:

When you buy a CD from Walmart or Best Buy, artists get next to nothing. The money goes to nearly everyone but the people who actually created the product. The money goes to the system that allows this kind of thing to go on. So in my mind, you're actually hurting artists in the long run by buying from chains like Best Buy or iTunes. You feed the system, the system that bleeds artists dry. If everyone torrented a CD, this system would get nothing. It wouldn't survive and it would die out, and all it would leave is the producer - the artist. They're able to market their product however they see fit. This is why I have no problem with torrenting music. When I buy a CD, I buy from a local record store, Bookman's, or from merch booths at shows.

I understand that there's ways now that an artist can put their music on iTunes and get almost 100% of the profits, and there's things like Bandcamp. Services like those are amazing and great for musicians. Those are what will help to bring down this system.

Personally, I'll always have my music free to the people. Though, when I'm 21 and starving on the street, my view will probably change. But it's what I think now.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Hippy.
Quote by aCloudConnected
If having people listen to your music isn't enough, then you're no longer a musician. You're a business person. At least with how it is today.

Here's my take on it, but bear in mind that I'm just an ignorant 16 year old:

When you buy a CD from Walmart or Best Buy, artists get next to nothing. The money goes to nearly everyone but the people who actually created the product. The money goes to the system that allows this kind of thing to go on. So in my mind, you're actually hurting artists in the long run by buying from chains like Best Buy or iTunes. You feed the system, the system that bleeds artists dry. If everyone torrented a CD, this system would get nothing. It wouldn't survive and it would die out, and all it would leave is the producer - the artist. They're able to market their product however they see fit. This is why I have no problem with torrenting music. When I buy a CD, I buy from a local record store, Bookman's, or from merch booths at shows.

I understand that there's ways now that an artist can put their music on iTunes and get almost 100% of the profits, and there's things like Bandcamp. Services like those are amazing and great for musicians. Those are what will help to bring down this system.

Personally, I'll always have my music free to the people. Though, when I'm 21 and starving on the street, my view will probably change. But it's what I think now.

No
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by aCloudConnected

I don't care if you're 16. You fail. Hard.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by RU Experienced?
Why sit through ads for free, legal music downloads when you could not sit through ads for free, illegal music downloads?

I hate ads, they make me very irate.

Me too, but if I could support my favourite musicians and still get their music for free, I'd be all over that.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Download, always. Movies, Albums, software, everything. **** paying for things if you can get the exact same thing for free without physically stealing it from someone/somewhere. I don't feel bad at all about it, either.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Quote by aCloudConnected

Here's my take on it, but bear in mind that I'm just an ignorant 16 year old

Apparently. People seem to either forget, or just be completely ignorant of the fact that most of the famous pieces of music throughout history were commissioned (that means somebody paid them to write it)
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
most of the famous pieces of music throughout history were commissioned (that means somebody paid them to write it)

And people talk about "real" musicians writing "real" music.
I download music if I want a few listens but I usually delete the files after that. I buy loads of cd's, not because I'm all hung up on the morality of it, but because I'm a collector and I love cd's.

I don't give a toss what everyone else does.
Quote by Xiaoxi

This.

I used to hate the idea of downloading. But then I started hearing my favorite artists saying how album sales don't really amass to much income for them and I started feeling better about it. Nowadays I usually download an album with the intent of purchasing the actual hard copy later on.
I don't buy CD's anymore. I buy Records. I like the feel of actually putting the needle on, the shitty sound quality and all that stuff.
Makes you feel part of it.
..I was watching my death.
Page 1 of 2