Hey GG&A,

I own a Peavey Heritage VTX that needs new speakers because the stock ones are old and falling apart. The amp is a 2x12 combo that puts about 130 watts, so I need to handle lots of power. I play many styles, but mostly post-hardcore, post-rock, stoner/sludge metal, math rock, mathcore, and alternative. Good handling of cleans and distortion is a must, as well as a clear and big low-end response that doesn't sound like a blanket is over the amp. My budget is $100 per speaker but is moderately flexible.

Here are some tones I like to capture. Obviously speakers aren't everything, but they definitely help.
Gardenia by Kyuss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8VmoqBz9Vg
Milk Lizard by Dillinger Escape Plan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMEYLlDThZU
A Quick One While She's Away by Giraffes Giraffes (clean tone in particular): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UjBr2RU63E

tl;dr - high wattage speakers with lots of bass and clarity, price around $100.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at May 4, 2011,
How many speakers and what sizes? For $100 you could probably get a pair of used Eminence Swamp Thangs if you can find them. If you just need one you could buy a new one.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
It's a 2x12 combo. Should have mentioned that sooner... edited the main post.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I actually didn't see the $100 per speaker thing. I'd be all over some Swamp Thangs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I'm looking now and these look great. Hopefully I'll have a few others to compare them with.

Thanks a ton!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by ECistheBest
cannabis rex!

Those are 50 watts, right? Cutting it a little close with a 4x 6L6 power section. I'm not a huge fan of speaker breakup.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

oops! they are 50 watts haha sorry! i believed they were 85w hehe.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I like the Eminence Commonwealth speakers in my cab.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Jensen makes good budget speakers. I've tried a few of them, all sounded good.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by dark Mass
I like the Eminence Commonwealth speakers in my cab.

Those magnets are huge. I like it, but the price is a little high.

Quote by timbit2006
Jensen makes good budget speakers. I've tried a few of them, all sounded good.

Seems like they're all lower wattage than what I need. They look and sound great though. I'll definitely consider one of these for my Super Champ XD at some point.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
Seems like they're all lower wattage than what I need. They look and sound great though. I'll definitely consider one of these for my Super Champ XD at some point.

I don't think you're looking at the same Jensens I am looking at. I have the Antique Electronics Supply catalogue in front of me so I cant give any links(Links don't work on tubesandmore.com anyways.).
Go on tubesandmore.com and type in P-A-MOD12-110 into the search bar. That one handles 110 Watts and is only... 50 ounces... That's heavy.
Or you could pay $164 for a Jensen Jet which is seven ounces 100 Watts. Ridiculously light for the power handling.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
I don't think you're looking at the same Jensens I am looking at. I have the Antique Electronics Supply catalogue in front of me so I cant give any links(Links don't work on tubesandmore.com anyways.).
Go on tubesandmore.com and type in P-A-MOD12-110 into the search bar. That one handles 110 Watts and is only... 50 ounces... That's heavy.
Or you could pay $164 for a Jensen Jet which is seven ounces 100 Watts. Ridiculously light for the power handling.

Aha. Their picture-only home page threw me off. The MOD12 looks quite good! I'll keep poking around and see what else is in the right power range.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣