I am looking for input from a bit more advanced players about ryhtm:

Hypothetically the ultimate goal, rythm wise, in playing would be playing dead on beat... like a machine would do, but doesn't't this sound too mechanical?

How much swing can you put in rythm before it starts to be out of time?

I am talking in acoustic stuff mostly here like tommy emannuel or fingerstyle stuff.

Thanks in advance
Swing isn't about playing off the beat - and even people with perfect time can play at the correct tempo and a little before or after the beat.

You can do whatever you want with rhythm, it's an important musical tool.
"Swing" is actually a musical term isn't it? Can you explain shortly?

I just used that word to mean playing in a "laid back" kind of way not focusing on hitting subdivisions of the beat but rather play by groove... not sure if I'm explaining very well...

It's the idea of "molding time" but still keep playing in time that puzzles me. Cause if you think about it we should always be playing in perfect subdivisons, like if there was an invisible grid, but when I listen to stuff on FL Studio played like that it always seems to lack groove...
To my understanding, swing rhythms are usually written as an eight note pair, but are played as a dotted eighth and a sixteenth. The total amount of time elapsed is the same, but the rhythmic figure is broken up by the extra long first note and the shortened second.
Not too hip on the "swing" thing, but I can tell you the amount of attack you use with your pick can change the mood or feel. Great for build ups, and ps always stay on time lol...unless your drummer is off time then you need to do what he does.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
I think what you're referring to is "feel". It really depends on the song and the musicians you're playing with how far back or forward you can go. The trick is for it to be consistent. If you lay back, the whole groove should be laid back. For these kind of nuances I think it's good to listen to some drummers. Listen to the pocket. It's a subtle thing that makes waves of difference in groove.

--mark