Page 1 of 4
See, the problem here is that there weren't enough police to kettle him.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
You can deal with any legal situation if you know what you're talking about.

any person can appeal and take it to court with proper legal representation. This guy is/is going to be a lawyer, so ofcourse he can talk his or someone else's way out of trouble.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

OH, they're British. I get it. Slapstick hilarious. Benny Hill theme and whatnot. Maybe some silly in the classic vein of Monty Python. Maybe some Jimmy Carr puns. I get it now.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I fail to see how a police officer needs to be able to quote any law verbatim in order to give a guy who ran a red light a ticket.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I fail to see how a police officer needs to be able to quote any law verbatim in order to give a guy who ran a red light a ticket.

I wondered that. Just made me laugh that he started to doubt himself after all the questions until the point he got angry.
What a dick. I hate cyclists that run red lights. They make us all look like twats.
Quote by Greenie_777
I wondered that. Just made me laugh that he started to doubt himself after all the questions until the point he got angry.

As bad as policemen can be, lawyers will always be at the top of the douchebag scale of occupations.
Quote by CoreysMonster
As bad as policemen can be, lawyers will always be at the top of the douchebag scale of occupations.

Oh, okay...I understand...
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
Oh, okay...I understand...

The occupation in general, not every single one of them My uncle is a lawyer, too, and he's definately not somebody who would start an argument with a cop about a ticket if he knew he had just broken the law.
This guy comes off as an arrogant pretentious twat. Exactly the type of person I would expect to ignore a red light.
It's guys like him that are the reason I hate all law students.
Quote by crazy8rgood
This, stockylachy, if i was a woman, i would want you to have my babies...

Wait...
Quote by CoreysMonster

Don't say that around estate agents...
Quote by CoreysMonster

If the officer does not know the law verbatim how can he know the full extent of it?

The funny thing is that he did commit a crime and he could have been arrested without warrant under s24 PACE for committing an offence under s28 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

this was just an instance where a quick thinking citizen fooled the police into forfeiting the use of their powers. The same way that the police often try to get citizens to forfeit their rights.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
If the officer does not know the law verbatim how can he know the full extent of it?

The funny thing is that he did commit a crime and he could have been arrested without warrant under s24 PACE for committing an offence under s28 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

this was just an instance where a quick thinking citizen fooled the police into forfeiting the use of their powers. The same way that the police often try to get citizens to forfeit their rights.

Another reason why he won't file a complaint - he's in the wrong himself! AiYa!
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Lemoninfluence

You don't need to know the law verbatim to give a guy going through a red light a ticket, that's just stupid. I have never opened a law book in my life, and even I know that you drive at green, slow down at yellow and stop at red.

That's like saying "Oh I'm sorry for spitting you in the face and punching you in the balls, Constable, but how can you arrest me when you can't quote exactly the law that I am breaking?"
Quote by CoreysMonster
You don't need to know the law verbatim to give a guy going through a red light a ticket, that's just stupid. I have never opened a law book in my life, and even I know that you drive at green, slow down at yellow and stop at red.

That's like saying "Oh I'm sorry for spitting you in the face and punching you in the balls, Constable, but how can you arrest me when you can't quote exactly the law that I am breaking?"

That's not the part he's getting him to quote.

He's asking him about the police and criminal evidence act 1988 (PACE) and the power to arrest. If he doesn't know the wording of the law he can't really be said to understand the full extent of it.

It's not necessarily true, but asking him to quote it (and him being unable to do so) places doubt in his mind to the full extent of the law.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Just comes off as an arrogant prick to me...
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
The law student was just nit-picking at definitions at an almost atomic level. He just came across as pompous and the only reason he got away was because the guy lunged for the camera and he decided to make a run for it.

I fail to see how the law student can consider that a "victory". I'd call him a very lucky, but arrogant, man.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by BeefWellington
The law student was just nit-picking at definitions at an almost atomic level. He just came across as pompous and the only reason he got away was because the guy lunged for the camera and he decided to make a run for it.

I fail to see how the law student can consider that a "victory". I'd call him a very lucky, but arrogant, man.

because he managed to confuse the police to the extent that they forfeit their right to exercise their power. The same thing police do to citizens on a regular basis.

Imagine someone stealing from a notorious thief. It's still wrong to steal but it's easy to see how some might consider it a victory.

Quote by element4433
Quote by BeefWellington

I'm actually pretty sure the cop could've just arrested him on the spot for not providing a name and address.
I expected this thread to be about a law student who found a loophole in the system and actually owned a police officer.

I was sorely disappointed.
Quote by Horlicks
I'm actually pretty sure the cop could've just arrested him on the spot for not providing a name and address.

only if he had reasonable grounds to suspect he either committed, was committing or was about to commit a crime.

just wanted to make it clear that you can't be arrested purely for not giving your name.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
because he managed to confuse the police to the extent that they forfeit their right to exercise their power. The same thing police do to citizens on a regular basis.

Imagine someone stealing from a notorious thief. It's still wrong to steal but it's easy to see how some might consider it a victory.

It's one thing to bullshit your way out of a ticket, it's a completely different thing to start pointing fingers at the police and telling them they're doing their job wrong while they're being filmed, then putting it online.

EDIT: ^ As far as I know, you're allowed to threaten with arrest in order to try and get people to listen to you, can't you? Also, how was the cop supposed to give the guy a ticket if he didn't give him his information? That part I didn't understand.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at May 4, 2011,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
only if he had reasonable grounds to suspect he either committed, was committing or was about to commit a crime.

just wanted to make it clear that you can't be arrested purely for not giving your name.

He saw him run a red light.
Quote by Horlicks

I'm pretty sure they can. I'm actually bewildered as to why he didn't just do that.

Quote by Lemoninfluence

I think to term "forfeit the right to exercise their power" is slightly incorrect. It was clear that he was struggling to answer all of the guys "questions", but thats mainly because they were like asking why the sky's blue. Just 'cause it is, why the Hell do you care? You ran through the red, you did wrong, gimme yer details, moosh! I'm no law expert, but I didn't think they had to quote the exact law you broke in order to bring you in for it.

I know a guy like this law student who argues like that. He asks questions that try and tear apart the very meanings of things. It's infuriating and skull-fucking because you can't answer them due to how ridiculously simple they are. And not only that, they're also beside the point.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by CoreysMonster
EDIT: ^ As far as I know, you're allowed to threaten with arrest in order to try and get people to listen to you, can't you? Also, how was the cop supposed to give the guy a ticket if he didn't give him his information? That part I didn't understand.

and you're allowed to ask them to recite the law in order to try and create doubt and get police to leave you alone.
Quote by BeefWellington
I'm pretty sure they can. I'm actually bewildered as to why he didn't just do that.

he threatened to, he just doubted himself after he couldn't recite the law.

Also, once he refused the penalty, the only other option left was to arrest him or let him go. We saw what happened when he threatened arrest and so in the end he was let go (sort of).

I think to term "forfeit the right to exercise their power" is slightly incorrect. It was clear that he was struggling to answer all of the guys "questions", but thats mainly because they were like asking why the sky's blue. Just 'cause it is, why the Hell do you care? You ran through the red, you did wrong, gimme yer details, moosh! I'm no law expert, but I didn't think they had to quote the exact law you broke in order to bring you in for it.

actually they do. if they arrest you on suspicion of an offence they have to tell you what offence you're suspected of committing. They don't have to recite the law verbatim, but then you don't have to consent to your vehicle being searched if you're stopped for speeding. The police had the option to arrest him, he ended up not doing so just as a person who consents to a vehicular search had the right to refuse, they just did not.

I know a guy like this law student who argues like that. He asks questions that try and tear apart the very meanings of things. It's infuriating and skull-fucking because you can't answer them due to how ridiculously simple they are. And not only that, they're also beside the point.

so are most of the things police say. like "so can you tell me why I've stopped you?" that's beside the point but they ask it anyway on the offchance you incriminate yourself.

Quote by Horlicks
He saw him run a red light.

note the second part of the post. I was just clarifying that you can't be arrested purely for refusing to give your name. I've already said how and why he could have arrested the cyclist.

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at May 4, 2011,
Cyclist - Friendless virgin.

PC Stout - Moron.

Nobody looks good in that video.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'm not gonna lie, I'd have swung for him myself. He just came across as a pompous arrogant twat.

Also, does anyone else think he sounds like the guy who was filming when the guy got dragged away for singing "we all live in a fascist regime"?

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
That's quite a lot worse stories than that, this is not an arrestable crime, no matter what the law.

You can be arrested for swearing nowadays. Dropping a cigarette butt varies from littering to attempted arson. The law is so flexible, that police can meet their quotas, and we're all much safer for it. Aren't we?

I don't think knowledge of the law helps as much as knowing how to deal with some of the mini hitlers.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
That's quite a lot worse stories than that, this is not an arrestable crime, no matter what the law.

You can be arrested for swearing nowadays. Dropping a cigarette butt varies from littering to attempted arson. The law is so flexible, that police can meet their quotas, and we're all much safer for it. Aren't we?

I don't think knowledge of the law helps as much as knowing how to deal with some of the mini hitlers.

It was an arrestable crime, its just usually dealt with via a fine. The cyclist was in the wrong, he just confused the poor bloke to the point of him loosing his rag. At which point they are both as stupid as each other.

The officer hardly seems like a mini Hitler and considering the guy had broken the law by going through a red light, cyclists are subject to the same laws as other road users, so he was right in stopping him.

After watching the video back, if our valiant camera man is such a shining beacon of light against our oppressive over lords, why does he disguise his voice? It seems slightly out of order that he identifies the officer so clearly but not himself.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Bad policeman. The law student guy seemed like a dick. Also running a red light is dangerous and he did deserve a ticket. I wish he'd been caught by a more intelligent policeman.
Quote by UraniYum

Regulation 69 makes it quite clear that the cyclist is subject to the same laws as any other motorist in being required to obey all traffic signs and traffic lights. This means no passing red lights.
Yeah, he found the Karl Pilkinton of the Met.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
It was an arrestable crime, its just usually dealt with via a fine. The cyclist was in the wrong, he just confused the poor bloke to the point of him loosing his rag. At which point they are both as stupid as each other.

Ayeaye, I mean the street coppers use of discretion, in principle.

Yer man Stout seems alright, but he still pulled over a cyclist. How the hell do you pull over a cyclist? Shout at them?
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
yes.

personally if i were stout, i would tug you with the idea of just giving you a bit of a bollocking and letting you on your way with no fine or anything.

if you then strat spouting bollocks about your invisible non existent representation, i am going to then think, well **** this little wanker and if thats how you want to play it, give you a fine and make it clear if you hadn't been a wanker, none of it would have happened.

dont make peoples lives intentionally harder and they would return the favour.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 4, 2011,
You'd make a good copper then. Shame there isn't an army of Tom 1.0s (I imagine you're an android of some sort) to govern England.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
what because i would use my discretion to inform you that you broke the law and would let you on your way unpunished if when i asked you to stop you respond in a polite manner?

if you want to play silly games, why shouldnt the police then decide not to prosecute you under the law you just broke?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by CoreysMonster

He gave it to him, but he was not obliged to give any details and for not giving his details, he was going to be arrested - without the PC being able to tell him exactly WHY he was arresting him. That's like a PC walking up to you and trying to arrest you for eating an ice-cream in winter.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Page 1 of 4