EDIT: See my post down below for what I have changed.
Link on soundcloud now: http://soundcloud.com/ljhmusic/sets/new-stuff-1/.
Tracks are called 'kicks', 'a lure' & ' beautiful gullibility'.

Hey guys,

Looking for critiques on my latest stuff. I basically went in with the mindset of not using any 'fake' synths besides drums ( I ended up with some hidden piano), keeping my playing natural - mistakes and all! and trying to make dynamic/ interesting music that still has flow. I just used my laptop with reaper and a pod to record everything.

At the moment it's three songs long. Influences include Isis, Russian Circles etc.

Looking for constructive criticism on anything from songwriting to technique to production. Cheers guys, if you want c4c just link me and I'll get round to it eventually.
Last edited by Bloodsick at May 22, 2011,
I'd love to listen but your profile is private

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Das_Skittles
I'd love to listen but your profile is private

my bad! changed it to public. duuur
Thanks for the crit!

Just listening to "2" for now; I'll get to the other ones in a bit, but I'm kinda time pressed (I usually listen at 3-4 times per track to get a good sense of what I'm actually hearing).

The drums in this first bit (like up to 1:30) need more variation. The same crash sound every beat for 90 seconds is really off-putting, especially since there are no fills up to this point.

The clean/delayed lead is awesome, and I love the transition into the more laid back, tom groove driven section. The prominent bass line is awesome, as is the repeating clean lick.

The transition at ~2:20 is really cool, and I'm a fan of the limited use of harmonies on the guitar riff. That variation brings a lot of dimension. I also really dig the drums in this part.

The drum part at 3:10 is fantastic. If that's programmed, please, dear god, tell me your secrets. That good. The guitar sounds kinda twangy at first, but it actually goes well with the bass.

The ascending harmony thing into the end is really cool, but the end itself was sort of jarring. If that's what you were going for, accomplished; if not, well, it's jarring the way it is

The mix is good. I didn't notice anything jumping inappropriately in volume, or any weirdness in the EQ'ing of the whole she-bang. Nicely done.

I like this song quite a bit. Just fix the drums in the first minute and a half. Other than that, you've got some pretty impressive stuff going on.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by Das_Skittles
Thanks for the crit!

Just listening to "2" for now; I'll get to the other ones in a bit, but I'm kinda time pressed (I usually listen at 3-4 times per track to get a good sense of what I'm actually hearing).

The drums in this first bit (like up to 1:30) need more variation. The same crash sound every beat for 90 seconds is really off-putting, especially since there are no fills up to this point.

The clean/delayed lead is awesome, and I love the transition into the more laid back, tom groove driven section. The prominent bass line is awesome, as is the repeating clean lick.

The transition at ~2:20 is really cool, and I'm a fan of the limited use of harmonies on the guitar riff. That variation brings a lot of dimension. I also really dig the drums in this part.

The drum part at 3:10 is fantastic. If that's programmed, please, dear god, tell me your secrets. That good. The guitar sounds kinda twangy at first, but it actually goes well with the bass.

The ascending harmony thing into the end is really cool, but the end itself was sort of jarring. If that's what you were going for, accomplished; if not, well, it's jarring the way it is

The mix is good. I didn't notice anything jumping inappropriately in volume, or any weirdness in the EQ'ing of the whole she-bang. Nicely done.

I like this song quite a bit. Just fix the drums in the first minute and a half. Other than that, you've got some pretty impressive stuff going on.

Thanks for the epic crit dude! I agree about the opening drums - I will make them better. I'm not sure which drum bit at 3:10 you mean, the new soft drum groove or the fill beforehand? Either way they're both addictive drum presets I believe (with tweaking). The ending IS meant to be abrupt, because I used to have another heavy part there, but it's gone now so uuuh...

If I ever get this to a point where I'm happy with it, would you be interested in recording some heavier vocals?
Quote by Bloodsick

If I ever get this to a point where I'm happy with it, would you be interested in recording some heavier vocals?

Sure. I'm at school (residential college) until May 15th, so I won't have access to my full recording set up before then. But after that (or before then, if you want to give me extra warning ) hit me up if you get to that point.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Thanks for the suggestions on my track, and dig the avatar, Devin Townsend is the shit. Are you recording the drums or are they programmed? Cause they have a great sound, I'm not especially happy with my own samples at the moment.

-Really like the bass lead, maybe bring up the guitar you hear in the background. Not much but enough to hear it a little better through that part, could maybe even just EQ it to bring it out a little more.
-Dig the riff at ~2:05 again maybe bring that lower background guitar a little more into the forefront.

-This whole piece works really well together, in my opinion dropping the guitars a step or two would make a big difference in the heaviness, which I'm a fan of.
-Part at ~4:15 is sick, love harmonized leads, it could have gone a bit longer.

-This would make a fantastic album intro.
-Maybe a little too much mod on the background guitar after the drums come in.

Also really like The Pleasantries, very NIN vibe.
Last edited by Devin2112 at May 5, 2011,
1 - Love how the drums come in, really atmospheric feels spooky and exploratory lol. Some of it is very repetetive though but you may be going for that! My attention did dip at a few points where i expected a change or something. Are you putting vocals on this track? That would probably sort out the repetitiveness.

2 - From the start I prefer this track a bit. But I do feel you could have built some more tension using that intro bit again and going from that to the heavy bit at least once if you know what i mean thats what my brain was expecting to hear! The change at 2:20 is good maybe could have come a bit earlier again. And like how it quiets down near he end nice dynamic usage.

3- my internet crapped out on me and i couldnt listen xD

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1439213
Bloodsick,
"1": Intro guitar tone is good, but it sounds slightly out of tune (maybe it's due to the chorus effect?). Guitar playing is good, though at 2:30 the riff is rather repetitive without vocals. At around 3:20 it sounds like it's clipping. Ending is abrupt. Overall, I like it though. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437378
Okay, so I've edited the tracks taking into account the advice I received.
- Went through the drums in general and made them more interesting
- Fixed up some mixing stuff, like the low tuned riff in the 1st song.
- Added some backing strings / piano / warm pad that just fill out the sound a bit more
- on the third song, balanced the effects on the guitar a bit more
- also added some spoken quotes in just to make it more interesting in parts, because there is no singing

Guitars need to be rerecorded - they are a bit out of tune in places, most notably the intro of the first track. But if I do bother to redo them, I'll do it sometime down the line.
Cheers guys.
Last edited by Bloodsick at May 22, 2011,
Yes! I love speech samples in post rock stuff.

I was worried that the riff that comes in the first track was going to get old pretty fast, thankfully the other guitar came in underneath. But I think it could use some more alternative bits to spice it up a bit, or maybe make the section slightly shorter. Love it from 3.10 onwards.

The second track was great, epic sounding. I love the tremolo picked guitar coming in at around 42 seconds. I understand that by the nature of the genre it can be quite repetitive with long sections, but I wonder if the track would benefit from slightly more dynamic variations. Maybe not, just a thought!

The third track was my favourite I think, sampled speech, nice pace, nice guitar sounds, I like the beat with it as well. Reminds me very much of Godspeed, but in 2 minute form as apposed to 20. Which is fantastic!

Good job dude