Poll: fender or gibson
Poll Options
View poll results: fender or gibson
fender
10 45%
gibson
15 68%
Voters: 22.
hi i wanted to buy a flying V but there is a big difference between them in price. the faded is like 600 dollars less then the more expensive... what are the differences between those 2 except that you get the case with the more expensive, does anyone know that?

grtzz
-fender stratocaster deluxe - Mexican
-spider line 6 , 50watt 2x 12'
-ashdown fallen angel tube amplifier. 60 watt head , 130 cabinet 36RL premium duette tubes
range of effects : EHX, boss, artcore,line 6 ...
Could you maybe link to the guitars you're looking at? It's hard to draw conclusions based on being faded or not.
Faded Gibson V:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-Flying-V-?sku=517336

Gibson V:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Flying-V-Electric-Guitar?sku=517330

I own a Faded V and its a great purchase for the price. Here is a good post that addresses the differences pretty well:

Quote by Hydra26
The Stock flying V had 10mm bolt-bushing Grover Green Key tuners stamped "Gibson Deluxe" on the back. The fadeds had 10mm bolt-bushing Grover Green Key tuners stamped "Gibson Deluxe" on the back. The V98 (stock flying V in natural with controls in an inline configuration) had gold grover rotomatic tuners.

The Stock flying V's have a 500T/496R ceramic pickup set. The fadeds (prior to the 3 pickup model) have a 500T/496R pickup set. Ok, now that I've addressed the wrong information in this thread, Gibson would allegedly use it's lower quality wood in faded models.

You typically see them in faded Cherry (which is like a watercolor red) or worn brown which is... brown. There've been complaints over the years abotu sharp fret ends and whatnot. Mine did not have any such issues whatsoever. They are a great bargain, perhaps moreso than other faded models as they tend to be cheap, but as shown above very very close to the stock, proper model in most respects.

The only difference on paper is the lack of a full clearcoat finish. This is significant in that the production cost is greatly reduced as there's less labor spent applying multiple coats of lacquer and space taken up in the factory storing them while the lacquer cures. I've found the clearcoat while reducing the instrument's natural resonance tends to tame the sound a little when it's amplified so it's not quite so harsh. Not really an issue if you tend to want to play metal through it.

Also, they come with a gig bag rather than a hardshell case.

Any other differences are more the difference between two individual guitars than the difference between one model or another.

Also, its important to check the quality of any instrument before you purchase it. Some people think that the Faded V's have a lower level of quality control due to the lower purchase price, but I don't have any facts to support or deny that theory.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
I have a faded SG and love it. Personally, I'd go for the faded. You'll have plenty left over for a hardshell case and maybe a pickup swap if you don't end up liking the stock ones. As for quality control, I have no complaints about mine, I've been to other guitar stores and played similarly priced guitars and every time I return to my SG it feels like being reunited with a SG. However, play the guitar you want to buy first. I played two faded SG's when I bought mine and didn't like the other one at all. Oh, and watch the finish; there are reports of it rubbing off onto lightly colored shirts.
I played the Faded and the Standard and really preferred the Faded. The gloss finish on the Standard is a little too glossy and can get sticky (as is the case with a lot of gloss finishes on Gibsons, even once you get into custom lines).

But if it were my decision, I'd get one of these:
http://www.bellcustomguitars.com/picsssv_w.html
So it's $100 more than the Standard...but it's a lot cooler IMO.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
i tend to tell people to be cautious when buying from the faded line. I have one about 3 or 4 years ago. It just felt really...stiff. It was difficult to play. The neck had a nice enough shape and all but it just felt off.i also had problems with the tuners not holding at all. Ive played several faded sgs as well and really dont care for them. Yet to find a gibson im crazy about...but i love my epi also, you might want to try to find some epiphone Vs to try out. With the money you would save you could upgrade some hardware and have VERY nice guitar
question- what is the relevance of the poll?
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Quote by distortion896
question- what is the relevance of the poll?

haha not any ^^
-ashdown fallen angel tube amplifier. 60 watt head , 130 cabinet 36RL premium duette tubes
I would generally go with the cheaper Gibson, if possible. Almost none of them are inherently bad guitars, so I don't think you could go wrong. So basically I'd vote for the "Faded" series over the Standard Gibson most of the time (Except for the LP, but thats because I'm a firm believer that Les Pauls need body binding).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Vecheka
Faded Gibson V:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-Flying-V-?sku=517336

Gibson V:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Flying-V-Electric-Guitar?sku=517330

I own a Faded V and its a great purchase for the price. Here is a good post that addresses the differences pretty well:

Also, its important to check the quality of any instrument before you purchase it. Some people think that the Faded V's have a lower level of quality control due to the lower purchase price, but I don't have any facts to support or deny that theory.

so the more expensive one has different pickups?