I've got a Marshall Valvestate VS100 Head (three channel head) and the VS 4x12 cab, and I've recently come to terms that even on the OD2 (highest gain) channel, the sound is just not that metal. I'm talking about heavy thrash and death metal here like Slayer, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Deicide, Bolt Thrower here. That's the sort of metal I play.

Anyway, gonna be starting to gig soon and I'm the only guitarist in the band for now, so basically I'm wondering if I downtune from E flat (tuning Im currently in), down to D, or possibly even C sharp, will that make up for the heaviness lost by the amp being not that metal sounding?

Thanks for your help guys
Last edited by kerkhammet at May 4, 2011,
No.

Though Carcass arent that high gain anyway...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Pretty sure it won't.

Why don't you just do it and find out?

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

buy a pedal?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I sincerely doubt it.

If anything, I noticed when I first started to use thicker strings and tune that it actually lessened the distortion a bit.

It may give you more bass in your sound, but nothing you couldn't do with EQ, if you don't actually need those notes.

TL;DR - No.
Quote by kschaef
Pretty sure it won't.

Why don't you just do it and find out?

Cause the stack is set up in my room right here, and I can't try it at a live volume here because of neighbours. the amp sounds very different at a bedroom level to a live level. And also, at the place where we're gonna play regularly with our friends in the other thrash/death bands, The Croft in Bristol, they don't mic up amps, so we'd have to crank it even there
can't you just crank it loud for a short period of time? I do it all the time,
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
What are your EQ settings anyways?
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Buying an overdrive pedal or a distortion pedal would probably work for you. An MXR Fullbore Metal or a Digitech Hardwire TL-2 would definitely do the trick.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by kerkhammet
Cause the stack is set up in my room right here, and I can't try it at a live volume here because of neighbours. the amp sounds very different at a bedroom level to a live level. And also, at the place where we're gonna play regularly with our friends in the other thrash/death bands, The Croft in Bristol, they don't mic up amps, so we'd have to crank it even there

that right there is the problem. running a big amp really quiet doesn't let you hear what it actually sounds like (this is due to fletcher-munson equal loudness contours). I wont take the time to explain this here, cause nobody wants to read a full page. But, basically as you turn your amp up, it starts to sound more full.

dropping your tuning down wont help anything at all. the valvestates can produce plenty of gain. I suspect that you're listening to recordings that were double or even quad-tracked and trying to get your amp to sound like them. Just do your best to dial in your tone using the EQ, and avoid putting the gain higher than 3 o'clock (the amp will get flubby there)