Right, so as you may know (from my multiple threads earlier) I'm currently saving for a new guitar. I've only be playing about 2 1/2 years (and have only been practicing for one). I've played on my Cort most of this time, but I wouldn't say I've gotten used to the neck, so I was completely open to necks when I did my research (figured I could get used to anything really). So I looked around, and discovered I really liked the feel of Ibanez necks. So I thought, ok thats that. But then I played a PRS (can't remember what) and I loved the neck of that too.

Then I realised something. I play modern/ hard rock, and it seems like almost all my favorite bands (Breaking Benjamin, Skillet, Shinedown, Three Days Grace) use PRS'. Now my budget isn't particularly high, so I would have to get a used PRS (and a lower end model).

But my question is, is it worth it? I am looking at either getting a Ibanez RG1451, or a PRS Mira, SC, or something like that? Obviously some price difference, and this will mean saving up for longer. I play in dropped tuning, andywhere from Drop B to standard. But I am hoping to do guitar for a living when I'm older (dosen't everyone?), and if I do manage to make it, I would probably rather use PRS. So should I get used to the PRS necks because of this?
Check out my band! Blues mixed with Indie/Alternative from the UK.
Badlands UK
Quote by Shredding 4Life
I am hoping to do guitar for a living when I'm older (dosen't everyone?), and if I do manage to make it, I would probably rather use PRS. So should I get used to the PRS necks because of this?

On the extremely off-chance that you do get somewhere playing guitar, odds are your musical tastes, instrument preference, etc. will have changed dramatically.
So, no. That's not a concern.

Get whichever guitar you like more.
Lower end PRS' suck, and no offense if your asking this question I dont think you ll be a Professional, its not necissarily the company but rather the types of wood, the lengh, width, and diameter, the kind of gloss (or no gloss) thats on it. Find a neck you really really like, and find out the specs of it. Also don't but a guitar solely for its neck, when spending this much money thats insane, sounds like you want something very versatile, work off that and keep looking around and reading reviews. Btw Birdseye maple or Koa wood is awesome for necks, with a heavy gloss rather then oil, feels amazing, try it out
Go with a mid end Ibanez. You can always trade up if you find you really like PRS. Also when it comes to guitars go with what you like and not just by the bands.
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
On the extremely off-chance that you do get somewhere playing guitar, odds are your musical tastes, instrument preference, etc. will have changed dramatically.

Hey man, don't be so cynical about this guys goals/dreams. Sure, it's true that most guitarists don't get very far playing guitar professionally but that's definitely not a reason to not pursue it.

But yeah, this guy is right. Your musical taste, gear choice, and basically everything will probably have changed 10 fold by that time. Get whatever guitar that FEELS good to play, and SOUNDS good. Both are an important part. Try before you buy, the longer the better.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by sar8777
Lower end PRS' suck, and no offense if your asking this question I dont think you ll be a Professional, its not necissarily the company but rather the types of wood, the lengh, width, and diameter, the kind of gloss (or no gloss) thats on it. Find a neck you really really like, and find out the specs of it. Also don't but a guitar solely for its neck, when spending this much money thats insane, sounds like you want something very versatile, work off that and keep looking around and reading reviews. Btw Birdseye maple or Koa wood is awesome for necks, with a heavy gloss rather then oil, feels amazing, try it out

Bullshit. PRS's SE range are some of the best made and consistantly good guitar under $700 out there these days. They play well and sound great.

So your telling me that when you fist picked up a guitar you knew everything and anything about guitars? We all have to learn stuff somehwere. You have no right to say whether or not he will make it or not.

Thats your opinion and considering most people will tell you they hate gloss necks or prefer Rosewood or Ebony over Maple, why should we treat your opinion as fact? Strangely enough some of the best guitars ever made have oiled necks, not cheap thick heavy gloss.

TS go play everything you can afford and what you like the feel and sound of most.

PRS Miras are very nice and if thats what you want to go for, get one. Though the 1421 is a very nice guitar and would be my personal choice, at the end of the day its up to you. Though if you play predominatly metal and dropped tuned stuff I would take something more like a CE22/24 than a Mira for that.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 4, 2011,
1. LOL PRS can be used for more then modern rock they are quite versatile instruments. So even if you got into like blues or something they'd definitely be adept at it.
2. Just because your favourite bands use an instrument brand doesnt mean you should buy it get whats more comfortable to you.
3. Ibanez would probably actually be better for drop tunings then prs because they have a slightly longer scale neck.
I do play some metal, but I've started to grow out of it a bit, and am now going down the hard rock route.

Oh and guys, I know it's not that likely that I make it. But it;s worth a try!

I'm going to try everything out. I expect I'll like the feel of the ibanez slightly more, but the sound of the PS (most stuff I play seems to be more mahogany/set neck). If this is the case, what should I go for? I'm leaning feel, and Ibanez rg1451...
Badlands UK
if thats the case, go for an Ibanez RGA121 just find one 2nd hand.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Shredding 4Life
I do play some metal, but I've started to grow out of it a bit, and am now going down the hard rock route.

Oh and guys, I know it's not that likely that I make it. But it;s worth a try!

I'm going to try everything out. I expect I'll like the feel of the ibanez slightly more, but the sound of the PS (most stuff I play seems to be more mahogany/set neck). If this is the case, what should I go for? I'm leaning feel, and Ibanez rg1451...

try as many different brands as you can. don't just stick to those 2. you might be suprised at what feels best to you. unlike one of the other guys who said don't buy a guitar for the neck i'm going the other way on this. i won't touch a guitar if i don't like the neck. pickups etc can be changed but a good neck is critical to playing. also i agree that your tastes will change as time goes by so don't box yourself in. also you never grow out of good music you just expand your tastes.
Quote by Tom 1.0

PRS Miras are very nice and if thats what you want to go for, get one. Though the 1421 is a very nice guitar and would be my personal choice, at the end of the day its up to you. Though if you play predominatly metal and dropped tuned stuff I would take something more like a CE22/24 than a Mira for that.

+1 on the 1421 but that's personal preference.

The woods used in the neck and body really the most important thing.

Also consider the body ergonomics AKA does the instrument feel balanced and comfortable to play both standing and sitting.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Disturbed_EMG

Plenty of people play guitar for a living. Being in a big rock band is not the only lucrative music related job in the world. But he is right in that your tastes in a guitar/amp/pedal will change as you get better and more "picky"!
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Cheers guys. I have actually researched pretty much everything, but these are the two brands I have grown to like the most. I'm leaning towards Ibanez now, partly for the cheaper price and the necks. Just one question: how does basswood compare to mahogany? I know mahogany is warmer, but is there any other difference like sustain or something? Also, if I get the Ibby, I'll probably replace the bridge pup with a BKP Nailbomb. Should make it a bit thicker.
Badlands UK
Quote by monwobobbo
try as many different brands as you can. don't just stick to those 2. you might be suprised at what feels best to you. unlike one of the other guys who said don't buy a guitar for the neck i'm going the other way on this. i won't touch a guitar if i don't like the neck. pickups etc can be changed but a good neck is critical to playing.

I agree with this 110%.

Quote by Shredding 4Life
Cheers guys. I have actually researched pretty much everything, but these are the two brands I have grown to like the most. I'm leaning towards Ibanez now, partly for the cheaper price and the necks. Just one question: how does basswood compare to mahogany? I know mahogany is warmer, but is there any other difference like sustain or something? Also, if I get the Ibby, I'll probably replace the bridge pup with a BKP Nailbomb. Should make it a bit thicker.

Sustain is ultimately determined by the quality of the wood, rather than what kind of wood it is. There's way too many factors to simply say oh x has more sustain than x. Construction, or rather, how well the guitar is constructed also contributes a lot. Fixed bridge guitars will obviously sustain more than guitars with trems, unless you have a poor guitar with a fixed bridge, and a flawlessly constructed guitar with a trem... There's just too many factors. It's easier to just compare them in person.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 4, 2011,
The reason most of your favorite bands play PRS guitars is because PRS is HUGE into endorsement deals. Don't think that every pro guitarist who plays a PRS is doing it because it's their favorite guitar. I'm sure that's true some (or even a lot) of the time. But some of those guys are just playing them because of the endorsement deal.

It's also worth pointing out that there's a big difference between the higher-end PRS guitars and the lower-end SE line. So buying one strictly because that's what your favorite bands play doesn't really make sense (because it's NOT the same guitar). But if you like them, then YES, play them. That should be the only thing that matters. Compare as many brands as you can and go with whichever one fits YOU as a guitarist.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
I was looking at saving for a US one. Anyway, what does everyone think of an RG1451 and BKP Nailbomb?
Badlands UK
Quote by Shredding 4Life
I was looking at saving for a US one. Anyway, what does everyone think of an RG1451 and BKP Nailbomb?

This would be better: Better quality, and you'd probably like the tone more, because of a mahogany body rather than basswood.

Quote by Tom 1.0
if thats the case, go for an Ibanez RGA121 just find one 2nd hand.

Not to mention it would be a fair bit cheaper.

EDIT: Here's one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-Prestige-RGA-121-Ruby-Red-w-Hard-Case-EXC-Cond-/300552200882?pt=Guitar&hash=item45fa4ea2b2

The only one on ebay ATM.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 4, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
This would be better: Better quality, and you'd probably like the tone more, because of a mahogany body rather than basswood.

Not to mention it would be a fair bit cheaper.

EDIT: Here's one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-Prestige-RGA-121-Ruby-Red-w-Hard-Case-EXC-Cond-/300552200882?pt=Guitar&hash=item45fa4ea2b2

The only one on ebay ATM.

thts a f***ing sweet guitar
Oh, forgot to mention I'm in the UK...

Anyway, I'll keep and eye out for RGA121's, but what do people think of the RG1451 & BKP Nailbomb? I've hearedpeople say they prefer the RG1451, mainly because of the tight end bridge...
Badlands UK