Page 1 of 2
Hi Pit
for school, I'm supposed to read one of these novels for my english class (I live in Belgium, English is the third language we have to learn)
I have no clue for which one to choose, so you will choose for me

a. One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Ken Kesey)
b. The Catcher in the Rye (J. D. Salinger)
c. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
d. A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini)

grtz, Karel
Catcher in the Rye is one of the greatest books ever written, and that's coming from a guy with a degree in English literature. Read it.

And watch for the red cap.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Out of those my favourite is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by a country mile

edit: It's down to taste and what you like in your literature,

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Are you kidding me, guys? Catcher in the Rye SUCKED. It was one of those books where you keep reading, hoping that the plot will pick up and something interesting happens, but it never does. Imagine reading harry potter, but he never becomes a wizard.

the kite runner was good though.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Catcher In the Rye is pretty cool, but not all it's cracked up to be I thought. Still a good read. I'd go for that one first.
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by fearofthemark
Are you kidding me, guys? Catcher in the Rye SUCKED. It was one of those books where you keep reading, hoping that the plot will pick up and something interesting happens, but it never does. Imagine reading harry potter, but he never becomes a wizard.

Wait wait wait, nothing interesting happens? Did you read the book?
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
A Thousand Splendid Suns. it's bloody horrific, (as in subject matter), but brilliant.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I've only read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest from those choices, but it's a great read, and I fully recommend it.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by fearofthemark

the kite runner was good though.

I thought it was a pretty fast paced book considering everything happens in such a short period of time
cat
Quote by guitarxo
I thought it was a pretty fast paced book considering everything happens in such a short period of time

The best thing about the novel is the dichotomy between the Holden that is in the story and the Holden that is telling the reader the story. I would go in detail, but author John Green has saved me the trouble.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
I've read the kiterunner in dutch already, so I'm not going to read it in english I think
I've been reading a lot of Franz Kafka lately and some post-modernist dutch authors
anything in that line?
Quote by fearofthemark

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at May 4, 2011,
Quote by PlayMadness
Wait wait wait, nothing interesting happens? Did you read the book?

Yes, and I didn't like it. A lot of these "classics" are just overhyped and really not worth the fame. The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. Now there's a damn good piece of literature.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Complex analysis aside, Catcher in the Rye is a pretty easy read and good or not is regarded as a modern classic by many. Also it's not as depressing as the others.
Quote by PlayMadness
The best thing about the novel is the dichotomy between the Holden that is in the story and the Holden that is telling the reader the story. I would go in detail, but author John Green has saved me the trouble.

Awesome thanks! I'll watch/listen later when Youtube isn't being a bitch.
cat
Quote by guitarxo

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Catcher in the Rye is fantastic. It's perfectly understandable that someone might not like it due to their own personal tastes, but quite frankly people who outright say that it's a poor book should probably just stick to airport novels.
The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs
or the even better second book, The Poop That Took A Pee

but out of those, I'd choose One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Catcher in the Rye is fantastic. It's perfectly understandable that someone might not like it due to their own personal tastes, but quite frankly people who outright say that it's a poor book should probably just stick to airport novels.

Part of me loves the way you phrased this, but part of me wants to say, "screw you, I bought Art of War in an airport bookstore."
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by Ninja Vampirate

My main complaint would probably be that it's too dated. It was based on 1930s pop culture, which really doesn't hold my interest. I'm sure that if a similar story was presented, set in contemporary New York, I would like it.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by PlayMadness
Part of me loves the way you phrased this, but part of me wants to say, "screw you, I bought Art of War in an airport bookstore."

I don't just mean books sold in airports... I mean airport exclusives. Fast paced, trashy shit that's good to read on the plane when you've had 3 hours sleep and Burger King for breakfast.

Quote by fearofthemark
My main complaint would probably be that it's too dated. It was based on 1930s pop culture, which really doesn't hold my interest. I'm sure that if a similar story was presented, set in contemporary New York, I would like it.

That's a perfectly valid reason why you might not like it. It doesn't mean that it sucks, though. For example, I would rather gouge my eyes out than read Wuthering Heights, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's crap. It's just not something I find interesting.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate

That's a perfectly valid reason why you might not like it. It doesn't mean that it sucks, though. For example, I would rather gouge my eyes out than read Wuthering Heights, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's crap. It's just not something I find interesting.

I think my friend DID gouge his eyes out after he was forced to read Wuthering Heights
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by Namaste196
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is far, far better than Catcher.

This post is false.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Wuthering Heights is boss, yous are all doing it wrong.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Only read two of those on the list, Catcher is probably what I would recommend. Although the last one seems interesting.

Quote by PlayMadness

Bet you paid about 4 times the normal price though

Quote by Cal UK
Wuthering Heights is boss, yous are all doing it wrong.

Wuthering Heights brought me to tears on several occasions.

Edit: BORED. Bored me to tears.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Dude you should try reading sometime....

also
Quote by Cal UK
A Thousand Splendid Suns. it's bloody horrific, (as in subject matter), but brilliant.

This.
I wish they had asked us to read this kind of stuff in school!
Damn short stories and Julius Caesar.
Last edited by unet at May 4, 2011,
Quote by PlayMadness
This post is false.

No, this post is. Salinger wasn't fit to lick Kesey's boots.
I have a feeling that anyone who says Catcher wasn't amazing didn't quite understand the whole thing. They saw Holden as just a whiny bitch.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Half the point of Catcher was that Holden never actually quite does anything. It bored me shitless. Tell me I didn't get it and puff up your academic credentials at your own peril. Bunch of phonies.

Read Cuckoo, TS. One of my favorite novels. Brilliantly done power struggle with social commentary that still rings true. Unlike that other popular suggestion, which is about a kid almost doing things (actually doing none of them).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by fearofthemark
Hence why I refuse to read it. I never enjoyed the reading lists English teachers gave us. I was always reading about 20 novels in the space of time the teachers assigned to read one boring "classic" and "socially impactful" book. I've probably read more good books than they think I have.
It's got to be Cuckoo's Nest. Endlessly re-readable with an invigorating message.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Catcher is like the Green Day of literature; it's okay when you're twelve, but after that is just a guilty pleasure.
I like Catcher, but it's not Salinger's best. His best is Nine Stories.
I don't like One Flew. Couldn't get into it.
I like the Kite Runner.
I haven't read the other.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 2