Was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've just started figuring out how to do basic guitar / vocal demos on the computer. Once I have the basics of most things I'm usually pretty good at picking up the rest as I go along. Here's what I'm running with:

Audacity 1.3 Beta
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
Casio WK-1300 (has midi output)
Sennheiser e840

Guitar gear:
Ibanez Acoustic
Epiphone SG
Tiny Terror
Assortment of pedals

Okay, so I have a few questions...

1. I've started plugging the guitar straight into the focusrite with some pedals and not really liking the sound I'm getting. Can I plug the Tiny Terror head through the focusrite? If so, is there anything special I need to do?

Been trying to read up on it and everything says don't do it if blah blah blah and you can do it if blah blah blah... problem is I don't know what blah blah is.

2. Are there any good amp modulators that I can use with Audacity? Currently downloading AmpliTube 3 (hasn't finished yet) and not exactly sure how to set it up... any tips?

3. MIDI... I've been told lots about it but not really sure how it works (I know there's a hell of a lot to know). Are there any basic things you can help me with in regards to how to set it up to record and get the basic idea of things?

4. I have Cubase. Should I be running that instead of Audacity? I know that it's a much more powerful program but currently I'm not doing anything extremely difficult or technical. I was planning on learning with what I currently have then moving onto it (take on one thing at a time).

5. Any general tips / hints that will make my life easier?

I've always been armed with 4 chords and distortion growing up. Now my musical taste is expanding and I'm hoping that by setting even this basic stuff up I can spread my wings a little. Any help would be much appreciate!

Cheeeeeeeers!
the easiest way is to just run a mic to your amp and record it like that. it sounds the best too
both of the above posts are wrong (or at least to generalized)...

Micing your amp is not the easiest way. It is the hardest, but maybe the most rewarding once you get it done correctly. Make sure you read up and then play with it a while if you choose this method. This I believe is what most professionals believe I think I have seen axeman say.

Don't run amp out. If your want to do that just forget the amp and go straight into the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB.

There are plenty of free amp simulators my favorite is the TSE X50 Beta 3 or the Poulin LeCto. You can get amazing sound out of either of these if paired with an impulse simulator. Search for more info on UG by searching "UG Offical VST" or "UG AMP SIM" or something like that.

Personally I believe the "industry" standard is to mic the cab. I like going into amp sims lately my self (but I been doing Industrial Rock and Metal lately).

Now to adjust your questions:

1) Don't run any pedals into the safferire just run the guitar signal. And open a VST amp sim and impulse simulator on the channel of the guitar.

2) Amp Sims I listed above in combinations with an impulse sim sound great.

3) MIDI you can programs sounds through synths, drums, etc. To be honest google is prob your best bet here.

4) I'll be the first to say I hated Cubase when I tried it (3-4 years ago), but I have heard bad things about audacity. In the end I believe its about what your most comfortable with, heck I record everything from electronica to metal to jazz with FL Studio (A route I don't recommend beginners recording live instruments) and have made tracks that sound better than some elitists who think Pro Tools is the only way elitists (not saying PT is bad, but I know FL in depth enough that there beginner PT stuff is just lame).

Anyways back to the point....Check out Repear it has a never ending trail. Any questions I will be back later today to answer and maybe through out a few tips.....What type of music are you aiming for.
Last edited by FireHawk at May 4, 2011,
Quote by nocigar

1. I've started plugging the guitar straight into the focusrite with some pedals and not really liking the sound I'm getting. Can I plug the Tiny Terror head through the focusrite? If so, is there anything special I need to do?

No, unless you buy an attenuator to simulate a speakerload on it. Else, you can seriously damage everything.

2. Are there any good amp modulators that I can use with Audacity? Currently downloading AmpliTube 3 (hasn't finished yet) and not exactly sure how to set it up... any tips?

Get rid of both. Download Reaper (which is freeish) and check out the VST amp sim thread for better amp sims that are free.

3. MIDI... I've been told lots about it but not really sure how it works (I know there's a hell of a lot to know). Are there any basic things you can help me with in regards to how to set it up to record and get the basic idea of things?

Theres a lot Midi can do but the part I find most people use it for is Virtual Instruments. Basically, controlling a synth/keyboard/instrument on your computer via an external midi source. You'll have to look into how to use that, there are some pretty good instructions with Reaper

4. I have Cubase. Should I be running that instead of Audacity? I know that it's a much more powerful program but currently I'm not doing anything extremely difficult or technical. I was planning on learning with what I currently have then moving onto it (take on one thing at a time).

As noted above, use Repaer. When it comes to DAWS I hate, Audacity is the worst and Cubase is the 2nd worst. Its just confusing and has its own special ways. Reaper is very easy to use and 95% of the people on this board use it so finding help isn't too hard

5. Any general tips / hints that will make my life easier?

Read the ****ing manual! We get enough posts here on a daily basis asking stupid questions that can be answered by reading the manual
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
How is putting a mic to your amp hard? it's actually extremely simple.
Quoi? You go out and buy a $600 program, then use Audacity, and then ask people if you should be using the $600 program you bought?

What should you do? Send all that money you don't need to me. I'll take good care of it for you. ;-)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.