hi everyone
i just bought a new acoustic guitar trying to learn by self cant afford to go for classes so please suggest me any any free site to learn guitar.... and try to play easy songs!!!!
Search up Marty Schwartz on Youtube. He has great video lessons for beginners, all the way up to advanced. He's the reason i still play guitar today.
www.ultimate-guitar.com

Find songs you want to play, learn them, rinse, repeat.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
ya Marty and Justin are the best teachers on Youtube IMHO
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
I echo what everyone else has said. I think for beginner (just picked up guitar and have no idea what I am doing), justin is the best. He has a step by step beginner program that is awesome. Marty on youtube is awesome for specific songs. Some of his is more advanced so if the video starts and it is over your head, come back to it after you have a little more knowledge.

Good easy song - - - Picture by Kid rock and Sheryl Crow

look up the Cadd9 chord. You can usually substitute it for a regular C and it makes the transition between G C and D easier.

Good luck
well its been a week i touched guitar and i have learnt some chords like C,D,E,A,G,Cadd9,Fmaj friends please give me some tips to practice chords changing techniques from your point of view and strumming practice also!!!!! thanks a lot friends i have learnt from justinguitar.com hope to learn more and practice more!!!!
Quote by RockinSince1993
Search up Marty Schwartz on Youtube. He has great video lessons for beginners, all the way up to advanced. He's the reason i still play guitar today.

Yes. He is awesome. I started playing about 5 months ago and he's the best youtube instructor there is.
Quote by FirstDegree
Marty has the moves.

Blues face ftw!
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
buddy please suggest me some strumming pattern i am getting a boring sound not in a mood to play only!!!! please suggest me some simple strumming songs!!! thanks all!!!
Quote by pauldawg1177
look up the Cadd9 chord. You can usually substitute it for a regular C and it makes the transition between G C and D easier.

It also prevents you from learning properly and promotes lazy habits later. Definitely not something you want to promote in a beginner.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by Spynal
It also prevents you from learning properly and promotes lazy habits later. Definitely not something you want to promote in a beginner.

Why not comment on helping the beginner instead of putting down other peoples advice. That was a pretty useless comment. The key to helping a begginner is to keep them motivated. The only thing that stops people from learning how to play the guitar is getting frustrated and giving up.

Now, some advice. You have a number of chords that you know, but it probably takes a second or two to switch between the chords. So, the first thing is keep your fingers on your left had as close to the fretboard as you can at all times. Try to find common fingers between chords so you don't have to take them off. That is why I like Cadd9. A progression like D, Cadd9, G (sweet home alabama), you keep your ringfinger down the whole time. So, doing somthing like switching between those chords D, Cadd9, G, then G, Cadd9 D back and forth can be a good drill. Start trying to throw a regular C in every now and then and see the difference. Then do D, A, E
etc and so forth.

Strumming patterns are another story. I find that I don't know what strumming pattern I am doing most of the time and if I try to do one, my brain switches it after a few bars. What I have always seen posted is try to make them up yourself. The standard folk strum is U D U U D U. (U=Up D = Down)
and basically you can switch it up yourself. Do you understand 4/4 time? 4 beats per measure is what a lot of songs so a simple downstrum would be D D D D

A kind of off beat strum would be D D U U U
So, do you see how you can make all sorts of combinations yourself? I've rambled a bit. I will try to check back so I can answer any questions even though some people think I am stupid. Later
thank u all for kind suggestions!! i have a J&D guitar any body heard of it??? well i stay in a very cold place!! i have heard that when in cold conditions the wood will get bent?? is it so?? well if it is please tell me the preventive measures!!!