so i know that there is no guide or else everyone would do it. and i know your all going to say learn theory but i already know some theory. im having a hard time writing badass metal riffs. i always find myself chugging on an e power chord and i hate it. my timings are lame as with all my riffs. any advice?
Learn theory. Seriously.

*edit - And there's nothing wrong with E string chugging! The main riff to Metallica's "Disposable Heroes" is an E-chug-a-thon and its amazing.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Last edited by Vecheka at May 4, 2011,
Simple, learn songs by several metalbands you like. My riffs dident sound groovy and thrashy out of no reason, it´s cause i lissen to alot of groove and thrash metal and learned their songs.

Simple: If you learn songs from a band you like, you will start to sound like that band. If you learn songs from several bands you like, you will have many ideas from diffrent bands and get a mix, a own touch.
Sickz has it. Just think of a song you like and write in that "feel", meaning tempo and riff style. Don't rip them off of course, but do your best at figuring out what makes that riff so awesome.
Quote by morierdeity
Sickz has it. Just think of a song you like and write in that "feel", meaning tempo and riff style. Don't rip them off of course, but do your best at figuring out what makes that riff so awesome.

Remember this, dont rip off. Seek inspiration from riffs you like.

Another example of this is like say i got 2 or more riffs in the same key that i like from 2 diffrent bands. You could mix them together. That´s one way of makeing riffs, inspiration from the bands.

Another way is just to learn the bands you like so well you will be able to blend them together without thinking about it much.

On another note, you can also do this ( wich i do quite often ). I write riffs i know will sound good, but i cannot play fast at that momment. So i have to learn to play the riff
If you hate chugging E, just force yourself to DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Every time your brain goes "ok, back to chugging E!", slap it and force it to come up with something else.
Okay, I write tons of metal riffs and let me tell you something:

DON'T TRY TO MAKE IT COMPLICATED! A lot of metal guitarists think that their riffs need to be super complicated to sound good, WRONG.

Why do you think 'E-chugging' is so popular? Because it sounds good and it's simple! Sure, it gets old, but that's when you do something different.

I used to write these dumb complicated string skipping, quick alternate picking, sweeping riffs that aren't NEARLY as melodic and catchy as the more simpler ones I write now. So in ending: if it sounds good, WHO CARES HOW IT'S PLAYED.

/rant
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Play what you sing...

It sounds stupid but it works... when you hear a song on the radio. I bet you come up with something you think would sound amazing. So when you go to play, why dont you play that thing you had in your head that you thought would sound amazing!?

Learn to play it, the way you hear it in your head. The best way to practice that, is to play what you sing... that will also instantly improve your phrasing, because you have to breath so you'll start to phrase and space your playing around that "which will keep you from over doing it". That is also where some knowlage such as theory and technique comes in handy, they arnt rules by any means but they can help you exprese those ideas. You have bottled up in your head
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at May 4, 2011,
you make awsome metal riffs by adding an E to awesome.

;D

You pick up your guitar, turn on your amp and play.

I usually turn off my amp after a jam session ( can go from 30 mins to 2 hours ) and grab something to drink/eat, let the things I played/invented ring out in my head.

Then when I get the urge( because it is still today an urge after 9 years of playing) pick up that guitar, play a couple mins of what I came up with unplugged( sometimes I lose track of time and it's been more than an hour.....does this only happen to me?)

Also, my brother is a bass player and he oftenly picks up my guitar and trys to show me what could be cool over something I or he did.

To make it short, don't try to compose a 5 minute epic shredaton of 8 fingers tapping reverse elbow drop whammy exploding legatos intro. 1- It has probably been done before. 2- It bores the **** out of people ( anyways...for me) and 3- You'd be stuck to create something AS good for the rest of the song

GOOD DAY TO YOU MY GUITARISTS FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Vecheka
Learn theory. Seriously.

*edit - And there's nothing wrong with E string chugging! The main riff to Metallica's every song is an E-chug-a-thon and its amazing.

fixed

but seriously TS just learn theory and a bunch of awesome metal riffs (I suggest learning the whole songs instead but you're looking for writing riffs so their all you really need right now), this will help you more than anything any of us say....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Here's another thing that when I feel drained of ideas. I just tap my foot as i play play straight eight notes on an open string. Eventually as you do this you will hit another note, and then another, and another....This is a great approach also if you wanna create groove because you are playing off of a constant Eighth note pulse.
Mix it up a bit rhythmically too. Add a gallop, play around with timing (maybe try some songs with some more unique timings) and add in little things to break up the monotony. Check out Tool's "The Pot" for some ideas; there's plenty of chugging on the open D string, but it still manages to sound progressive.
im gonna have to disagree with the kid that said to learn theory. theory is great wen it comes to trying to fine tune something or incorporate little used techniques. but the best thing to do is to simply play wat sounds good to u and worry about theory afterwards. if u try and use theory before u play it, ur gonna end up feeling very limited to wat u want to do.

easiest thing for me is to draw inspiration from multiple songs. for example, i came up with a riff the other day based on unholy confessions by a7x, rose of sharyn by killswitch, and then used those styles with a scale going up and down the strings.

find riffs u like, figure out wat they r doing, and figure out y they sound good. knowing scales definatley help though. it's a good way to kno where u want to go next. scales like hungarian minor and a minor pentatonic r good examples of scales u can easily write from
just listen to your favorite music. Learn their songs. Try to just make one sounds cool.
You don't need complication. Just look at alice in chains. Simple riffs sound bad ass.
Quote by andrerist
im gonna have to disagree with the kid that said to learn theory. theory is great wen it comes to trying to fine tune something or incorporate little used techniques. but the best thing to do is to simply play wat sounds good to u and worry about theory afterwards. if u try and use theory before u play it, ur gonna end up feeling very limited to wat u want to do.

You feel even more limited without theory. You obviously shouldn't strictly follow theory all the time, but it helps to have some tricks up your sleeve. Otherwise it feels like you're playing blind, lol.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at May 7, 2011,