Okay, so my band has its first legit show

BUT.... we're opening up for a deathcore band. Now this wouldn't be an issue if I was in a heavy band. But I'm really not.

Just a little background, our singer saw on this local booking agency's facebook that they were looking for local bands to open for an upcoming show. So, obviously he got in contact with them and got us in. And then we found out it was a deathcore show. (Actually they posted the name of the band in the original message, we were just to stupid to look them up ahead of time).

So my question to you is this: How do we deal with people who more than likely do not want to hear our style of music? I'm not an expert on fans of deathcore, but I would imagine they don't take kindly to music that isn't br00tal.

If anyone has any similar experiences, by all means, share them!

thanks,
Dan
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
I'm in somewhat of a similar position.
I'm in a post-hardcore band and we're supporting a dance/wedding band along with a pop punk band at a charity night.
It's not too bad for us because we're getting loads of our friends to go and get their friends to go etc.

What type of music do you play? I reckon as long as you don't play pop punk or stuff like that then you wont get that bad of a reaction, just don't expect everyone to lover you. I guess you just gotta bare with it and play your best with the crowd.

Niall
the best I could describe us is post-hardcore, but it would be very melodic and not heavy post-hardcore.

and we are doing are best to get as many friends as we can to come out and support us.
Quote by asator

Just scream instead of sing and you'll be fine.. Lol jk that's tough since the people will be there to see heavy music. Maybe back out of the show and try again?
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
^^ well we do scream a little already, but we're not gonna replace all our clean vox with screaming lol

and of course we'll be badass. That's item Number #1 on the checklist
Quote by asator

Quote by lespaul1216
^^ well we do scream a little already, but we're not gonna replace all our clean vox with screaming lol

and of course we'll be badass. That's item Number #1 on the checklist

Then thats it. Don't change YOUR sound to fit THEIR style. Do what you do best.
right, I'm just asking how to try to get them to not hate what we do best. Or if there's any way of doing so
Quote by asator

Thats how you grow your fan-base. A lot of the shows I have been to, their has always been at least one band that was in a different genre of the main band. I like seeing that, it mixes things up a bit.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
We have acoustic bands opening for death metal bands
I've seen hippies open for hardcore/punk
Hell were a pretty heavy band that ended up playing with a light rock band, a cover band that did pop punk, and a death metal band. Everyone had a good time.
Your best chance would be to try and exaggerate your contrast with the death metal band. Yeah, there's a balance, otherwise you'd alienate everyone, but a little colour to the evening, rather than just a night of death metal, might help keep the audience interested
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Eh, these days most deathcore fans are pretty big on post-hardcore. I guarantee most Suicide Silence fans have some ADTR in their iPods. You shouldn't be too badly off.

Only problem is if the deathcore band is pure CHUG CHUG CHUG. For some reason, people at those shows get annoyed by 'stupid technical stuff'. We live in a very dark time for music.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by lespaul1216
wouldn't be an issue if I was in a heavy band. But I'm really not.

^^ well we do scream a little already

Well screaming is hardly something you attribute to girly pop music. I'm sure there will be enough of an overlap for common ground to be found between the bands.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Radiohead_u2
Play a badass show! Metalheads will know a good show whether or not its metal.

Right concept, wrong reasons; I don't think Metalheads know what a bad show is. At local metal shows, it doesn't seem like anyone even listens to the music.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by lespaul1216
right, I'm just asking how to try to get them to not hate what we do best. Or if there's any way of doing so

just do it man, you can't really force anyone into liking your music (or anything else for that matter).....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by lespaul1216

You are just worrying too much about this. Unless this is a huge band with a national reputation the room won't be filled with their fans anyway. Most people go to local gigs because they want a good night out and like live music not because they obsess on a single genre of music. Most people are pretty generous about music generally when they see people working hard to entertain them. Make sure you bring along your own mates/fans to fill the front row and so you have a few friendly faces.

Concentrate on your own show, be as good as you can and enjoy yourselves.
My band opens for really heavy bands all the time, and we're a Grunge Punk band. Basically, what we do is play all our fastest and hardest songs, and throw in some heavier covers (Alot of times we do some hardcore punk, it seems to go over well). Make sure you put on a hell of a show though.
Guitars: Epiphone Slash AFD Les Paul, Schecter Omen-6, and Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Amp: Jet City JCA20H with JCA12s cab
Pedalboard: Crybaby Classic, Boss DS-1, Korg Multi FX, BBE Boosta Grande, Rocktron HUSH Pedal. ProCo Rat.
I am in a Grunge band and have opened for screamy metalcore type band and a folk band. Just play the show, any show, the best you can. even if there is one person digging you. If that one person is digging you then thats all the matters, give them the best performance you can.
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Quote by Mithaearon
I am in a Grunge band and have opened for screamy metalcore type band and a folk band. Just play the show, any show, the best you can. even if there is one person digging you. If that one person is digging you then thats all the matters, give them the best performance you can.

This.

It shouldn't matter if everyone likes you. It would be the ideal outcome but 90% of the time it wont happen. The best thing to do is make people have a good time regardless of the music. Interact with the crowd and play the songs as best as you can.

Niall
Quote by xkreedx
Just scream instead of sing and you'll be fine.. Lol jk that's tough since the people will be there to see heavy music. Maybe back out of the show and try again?

Don't back out of a show. Ever. Unless its ABSOLUTELY necessary. Like 3/4 of your band members are hospitalized with ebola or something.

Quote by Hail
Only problem is if the deathcore band is pure CHUG CHUG CHUG. For some reason, people at those shows get annoyed by 'stupid technical stuff'. We live in a very dark time for music.

Not entirely true, in my experience. A lot of times bands try to pass off chugchug music as technical, by playing a measure of 7/8 now and then. And the bitches love it. Dark times indeed.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at May 5, 2011,
As long as you guys aren't too feminine. I know a lot of post-hardcore bands that are much more badass than deathcore bands. You don't even have to scream, just be energetic

Your still both playing hardcore music, just on different sides of the spectrum. I've seen much worse, and it usually comes out awesome because of it
Thanks everyone for the word of encouragement

Basically, we'll just focus on playing our best and not giving a damn what the crowd thinks
Quote by asator

To some extent, you have to trust the promoter.

I do say that with some reservation, though.

Ideally, the situation goes like this:
-promoter approaches venue for idea for show
-venue accepts and financial details and responsibilities are settled
-promoter finds bands that will work in that venue and that will work together for that particular event. (like, really... who would put Justin Bieber on with Slipknot?)
-everyone comes out and has a good time
-venue, bands, and promoter all make money

Ideally.

I am working on the assumption that the promoter knows who the other band is and is familiar with what they do. I'm assuming that the promoter knows who you are and is familiar with what you do. I'm assuming the promoter has at least a general idea of what kind of audience this combination of bands at this venue will draw.

Hence, my reservations in suggesting that you should have a certain amount of faith in the promoter are based on the fact that I am making a few assumptions, and I'm not comfortable with those assumptions.

How are you with those assumptions?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I am working on the assumption that the promoter knows who the other band is and is familiar with what they do. I'm assuming that the promoter knows who you are and is familiar with what you do. I'm assuming the promoter has at least a general idea of what kind of audience this combination of bands at this venue will draw.

Hence, my reservations in suggesting that you should have a certain amount of faith in the promoter are based on the fact that I am making a few assumptions, and I'm not comfortable with those assumptions.

How are you with those assumptions?

CT

yes the promoter is familiar with the other band.
they is not familiar with us, nor are we with them. first time working together.
And probably 90% of the audience will be drawn from the main headlining bands.
Quote by asator

Last edited by lespaul1216 at May 6, 2011,
... to which I ask... "If they have no idea, really, who you are or what they do, on what basis did they book you?"

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Just be awesome. In all honesty, most people don't notice the music at local shows.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by axemanchris
... to which I ask... "If they have no idea, really, who you are or what they do, on what basis did they book you?"

CT

to which I say.... "they put out an ad on facebook looking for local bands to open for a show. our singer got in contact with them and they eventually booked us".
Quote by asator

So they booked you without knowing anything about you, except that your band has a singer who says he has a band that's willing to open the show?

CT

you know when you put it that way it does seem pretty dumb doesn't it?
Quote by asator

Quote by lespaul1216
you know when you put it that way it does seem pretty dumb doesn't it?

Did you supply them with demos?

To be fair there actually is a promoter in my local area that books bands without them supplying demos, and I've seen some awful artists play at the shows as a result. However it's become such a "thing" that the occasional absolutely awful act is just accepted and it's part of the charm.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Did you supply them with demos?

To be fair there actually is a promoter in my local area that books bands without them supplying demos, and I've seen some awful artists play at the shows as a result. However it's become such a "thing" that the occasional absolutely awful act is just accepted and it's part of the charm.

Every single show I played I played without having to supply a demo. Granted, we knew our scene and every band IN our scene in our area so we never had the problem.

Personally, I'd just cancel. No use playing to people who will never look at you again. Granted, there might actually be SOME people that enjoy it, but most of them won't.

But, on the other hand, a show is a show!
as far as i know our singer did give the guy the link to our myspace. whether or not he actually listened to the songs or not is a mystery lol.

and we're not cancelling
Quote by asator

The way I see it, I'd play it. If they don't like you live and plan to piss and moan about your performance, they'd do that anyways. What's the likelihood that of every single person going to the show, not one will enjoy you enough to support you in the future?
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?