What kinds of things can I expect out of these two pickup combos?

Dimarzio:
X2N bridge
Air Norton neck

Seymour Duncan:
JB bridge
Jazz neck

Going into a mahogany wood body. Needless to say, I mostly play metal but I also dabble in jazz and desire nice cleans at least.

And if anybody has any other combos suggestions please feel free to throw in your thoughts.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
the SD combo would be better if you want to play jazz but it's not perfect for metal especially the modern downtuned stuff.

the dimarzio X2N is great for metal but crap for just about anything else. you might want to look at a dimarzio super distortion or PAF +.
Quote by monwobobbo
the SD combo would be better if you want to play jazz but it's not perfect for metal especially the modern downtuned stuff.

the dimarzio X2N is great for metal but crap for just about anything else. you might want to look at a dimarzio super distortion or PAF +.

Well in terms of sound I really aspire to have qualities similar to:

Death
Marty Friedman
Annihilator
Megadeth
Trivium
Cynic (for cleans)

The "br00tAlezt" I go is probably Sepultura and Machine Head (the latter on rare occasions). I'm not that big into the Drop #A "br00tz" stuff.

I guess I really want a versatile metal pickup combo that has plenty of gain but good cleans. That does sound a little too perfect though lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Seymour Duncan Distortion or Dimarzio D-Sonic. in the bridge... ballsy and frankly awesome sounding. I really am not a fan of the JB, the A5 mag is the wrong choice for that one.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at May 4, 2011,
Quote by oneblackened
Seymour Duncan Distortion or Dimarzio D-Sonic. in the bridge... ballsy and frankly awesome sounding. I really am not a fan of the JB, the A5 mag is the wrong choice for that one.

Mind being specific on your thoughts of the d-sonic and DD?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
i had have an x2n sitting on my desk that i just took out of my cort x-6 vpr. super high gain, and really bright cleans. i feel like it is an extremely versatile pickup and will do just about anytihng you want it to do.
D-sonic is great if you want something that borders on OCD levels of tightness.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Air Norton is awesome in the bridge btw.

Either way, that Dimarzio set your interested in seems rather unbalanced.

why not look at some medium output or even low powered PAFs?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

Isnt Petrucci's Liquifire based on the Norton?
maybe

for jazz I would personally want some low output PAFs...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Blick71
D-sonic is great if you want something that borders on OCD levels of tightness.

Yep! That's why I like it.

Duncan Distortion is also quite tight and compressed sounding. It's a very trebly pickup, like a JB without the ugly upper mid spike and more low mids. Not muddy at all.

D-Sonic is absurdly tight, but mostly pretty balanced tonewise. Not too compressed.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a D-Sonic and Liquifire combo and I freaking love it. The DSonic is tight and great for my Drop B, and the Liquifire is amazing for lead tones.
I've gone to Drop A with mine, on an LP no less! Very tight pickup. I have a Duncan Distortion neck pickup in the neck position...quite a good shreddy sounding pickup if a bit less precise sounding.

I had a Duncan Distortion in my super strat before I began overhauling it... it's still in pieces.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at May 5, 2011,
Yeah...I play a D-sonic 7 in the bridge and a blaze neck in the neck. Weird combo, but god forsakenly versatile. I play Jazz and Djent on this thing lol.

Dsonic is quite possibly the Djentiest mid-priced pickup around.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by Tom 1.0

Well if I got with a Dimarzio combo, chances are that I'm going to go with an X2N in the bridge. I like the way it sounds, one of my guitar idols used it, etc. What would go in the neck though is still sort of a mystery to me. I'm so indecisive on a Dimarzio neck pup.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
If ur not a fan of the x2n, you could always check out the dimarzio crunch lab. you can get different tones depending on how u install it, and petrucci has it in his guitars. maybe that or an x2n in the bridge with maybe an evolution or d-activator (x) in the neck?
Quote by andrerist
If ur not a fan of the x2n, you could always check out the dimarzio crunch lab. you can get different tones depending on how u install it, and petrucci has it in his guitars. maybe that or an x2n in the bridge with maybe an evolution or d-activator (x) in the neck?

Well just out of curiosity let's say I do go with the X2N in the bridge. What other Dimarzi pups would be suited to match the bridge X2N in the neck position?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Well just out of curiosity let's say I do go with the X2N in the bridge. What other Dimarzi pups would be suited to match the bridge X2N in the neck position?

the d activator neck or maybe air norton
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The JB is OK as a Rock/Metal pickup but has it's limitations, as does everything from Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio (though I find DiMarzio the better of the two). If you want the very best pickup you can get for your guitar I'd go with Bare Knuckle. For the sounds you're after I'd suggest a Nailbomb or if you want something a bit more like a JB (but MILES better) look at the Holydiver. Awesome pickups that are so much better than Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio it's frankly embarrassing.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
i'd say its preferance. if it were me i'd put a medium output or vintage output in the neck to get a warmer tone where as the x2n is balls to the wall high gain but still manages to sound pretty good clean. so maybe a d-activator, evolution, or a liquifire.

give this a shot, might help u out a little bit
http://www.dimarzio.com/pickup-picker

personally i was a huge fan of the x2n one way or another and i would absolutely suggest it
just took a look at the bands u listen to, have u considered either the emg hz-4 or the emg alx for ur bridge position? unless u wanted to go active, an 81/60 combo?
Last edited by andrerist at May 6, 2011,
Quote by andrerist
just took a look at the bands u listen to, have u considered either the emg hz-4 or the emg alx for ur bridge position? unless u wanted to go active, an 81/60 combo?

I would take some of the bands I listen to with a grain of salt in terms of them influencing what I want in tone.

I love me some Sepultura but that doesn't mean I like their tone necessarily you know?

I love the heaviness of Death/Control Denied, the sound of Cynic's cleans, Marty Friedman's lead tones, etc. You know?

I'm looking for something that's high gain yet versatile. Or at least heavy with some decent degree of versatility. I want to be able to have some headroom to find my own sound. Picking out the right pickups is an important part! lol
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
if u want really heavy, chugging metal tone, actives all the way. i've got emg 81/85 in my schecter and it screams. the 81/60 combo may be slightly more versatile but i find that wat i have does everything i want to. it has nice cleans, obviously not the greatest given how high gain these pikcups are, but it is definatly not bad. so maybe with the 60 in the neck you can get a lil nicer cleans. i've heard the seymour duncan blackouts are also nice for actives but i dont kno wat they would be like given that i've never played them.

if u would prefer to stay with passives, i'd say get the emg alx for ur bridge for the crushing lead tones and maybe a dimarzio evolution in the neck.

keep in mind however, if ur guitar isnt pre-modified to accept passives, there will be a little modification required such as putting in a place for the battery as well as possible rerouting. the emg alx will also require slight mods given that it has a push/pull pot for eq boost.

from reviews, and talking to guys at guitar center, the alx is basically all metal all the time, it doesnt clean up. but agian, this is heresay and i have not played it.

i personally feel like u cannot go wrong with the actives because they give such nice tones for metal and if u put a less hot pickup in the neck u can still get ur bright cleans. i have heard of ppl mixing actives with passives but dont kno anyone thats done it