Now here's a hell of a thing. I had my eye on the Blackstar HT-5H for a while, since it was a low wattage amp with actual features as opposed to simply having a guitar input, speaker output, volume and tone knob. Having an effects loop is important to me, and the two channel thing is nice.

I played one at this record store downtown for about an hour, had a good amount of time to mess around with both the clean and overdrive channels and thought it sounded pretty good. It was the mini-stack version, hooked up to the two 10 inch speaker cabinets.

So I finally decided to actually buy it, brought it home and it just sounds absolutely smothered. I have it hooked up to an Avatar 212 Traditional Cab (closed back) with a Celestion Vintage 30/G12H30 combination. I realize that this cabinet should be pretty heavy on the lows, but this is just borderline insanity.

Pretty much can't get a good tone out of it. Thankfully the amp was only a few hundred dollars, and I could probably turn around and sell it quickly if I had to. But is there anything I could do to help the tone out in the meantime? Upgrading speaker/instrument cables, or adding something that isn't already there perhaps?

Anyone else ever have this problem (with any amp?) What did you do to help remedy it?
Order the open back from avatar for 39 bucks...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
u should've hot the new version, Ht-5R.

maybe an EQ pedal will help.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by gregs1020
Order the open back from avatar for 39 bucks...

this will definitely let the speakers breathe a lot more back there and not be as agressive. plus the nice thing is you can always switch back to the closed back by turning some screws
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
So even though I currently have a closed back, it's not too late to order the "open back conversion kit?" I'll have to look into that.
I suggest dialing way back on the tone knobs to about 3-4 on everything. Possibly back off the gain a bit and crank it...

Then tweak the EQ knobs again.

Not only that, experiment with how the amp is placed. If it sitting on the floor, in a corner, and/or against a wall, that will make a cab sound much more bassy.

Another thing to try is a treble booster or an EQ pedal emphasizing upper mids and treble.

THEN maybe seek to change the cab back or speakers...
eq pedal is the key to "removing the blanket" on any amp
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Sounds like the speakers need to break in...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Sounds like the speakers need to break in...

+1
It may be difficult breaking in a speaker cab with 60 watt handling capacity with a 5 watt amp...
Last edited by al112987 at May 4, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
FFS... if an amp requires an EQ pedal to avoid sounding like shit, why the hell are people buying them?!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
FFS... if an amp requires an EQ pedal to avoid sounding like shit, why the hell are people buying them?!
I've always wondered that about EQ pedals too. I'm always a little bit confused when people say "Oh... yeah it'll sound OK once you stiack an EQ in the loop"
Sell it.

Almost everybody who used to post in the HT5 owners thread went something like this.

got my new HT5 today! I love it, tube tone is soooo goood!

had my HT5 for a while now, I cant get any decent tones from it, what should i do?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by bubb_tubbs

I dunno. Maybe because they are displayed between MG's and Spiders?

Then again, the TS bought the head after playing it through a different cab.
I don't know, it sounded pretty awesome in the store.

It must've been the acoustics/natural reverb or something. My cab should be a hell of a lot better than the stock Blackstar cabs. I'll try different placements, maybe try removing the back and see what good it does.

If all else fails, I'll have to go try out another head.
Quote by irnmadn88
I dunno. Maybe because they are displayed between MG's and Spiders?

Then again, the TS bought the head after playing it through a different cab.

I wasn't referring to the TS's problem, per se, just the stupid number of EQ recommendations I see in threads where people can't seem to get a good sound out of their amp.

Nobody should NEED an equalizer pedal.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Sell it.

Almost everybody who used to post in the HT5 owners thread went something like this.

They may have some sort of cronic illness
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Ooooor they realise the HT5 isn't actually the be all and end all people made it out to be.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I wasn't referring to the TS's problem, per se, just the stupid number of EQ recommendations I see in threads where people can't seem to get a good sound out of their amp.

True.

Maybe a confusion of "You need to EQ better" and "You need a better EQ"?
Quote by irnmadn88
True.

Maybe a confusion of "You need to EQ better" and "You need a better EQ"?
It's usually the recommendation of "stick an EQ in your loop".
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Dunno. People are like that with valve kings for metal as well. ..
its fail
Quote by Tom 1.0
Sell it.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

No one would if all amps came with 10 band tonestacks.
Quote by GS LEAD 5

No one would if all amps came with 10 band tonestacks.

ya that's a suggestion that really shows a deep understanding of tube amps.

where would you put the tone stack? between which stages? how would you drive it?

would they be active? passive? how would you filter the stack? what would you recover the stack with?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
TS why are you ignoring the obvious answer? Your speakers need to break in.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
TS why are you ignoring the obvious answer? Your speakers need to break in.

Well, the thing is that my cabinet came loaded with Celestions that had undergone a "pre-aging" treatment by Avatar to loosen them up prior to playing. Indeed, they don't sound particularly stiff, so this might be an unpleasant characteristic of the amp itself.
yes i'm sure it is due to the amp being terrible. you should really return it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
The HT-5 really doesn't sound bad. It's not nearly as good as the other amps in the HT line but it's definitely good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MxJ5bvCk6w

Is it the "ultimate amp ever"? No. No amp is. But it's good at what it does.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Get the cab off the floor. Stick it on a milk crate or something. Always try the cheapest and easiest thing first.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1 to cathbard. Getting your cab up off the ground changes your tone a lot. You will probably start re-eq'ing afterward haha. also try setting your eq with the bass on 0. then slowly fade in the bass
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
What's wrong with needing an EQ pedal? That's like saying "you shouldn't need a reverb pedal if you already have reverb on your amp" or "you shouldn't need a boost since your amp has gain"...... Heck, don't different amps have a natural tightness or saggyness? Then why get a boost pedal to tighten up the sound instead of getting a naturally tight amp?
PM to contact me -- For Sale:
ESP X-Tone series hard case
Big Muff Pi
MXR 10 Band EQ (maybe)
Boss RV-3
Because buying a turd to polish it is retarded, perhaps?

road worn turds have better tone.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Shadow Eternal
Well, the thing is that my cabinet came loaded with Celestions that had undergone a "pre-aging" treatment by Avatar to loosen them up prior to playing. Indeed, they don't sound particularly stiff, so this might be an unpleasant characteristic of the amp itself.

Oh ok, sounds like you've got that covered then. That's a great mix of speakers from what I've heard, but maybe it just doesn't play nice with the HT-5? I understand its not the greatest amp out, but if you liked it in the store you shouldn't hate it at home... Unless you're prone to the 'honeymoon' effect with new gear.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by gregs1020
road worn turds have better tone.
NOS turds sound the best though. Modern production ones get too ice picky.
Quote by al112987
NOS turds sound the best though. Modern production ones get too ice picky.

You can fix that with an EQ pedal. I recommend the MXR 10 band
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s