Page 1 of 2
I've played in drop D a few times for MUSE stuff mostly but other stuff too. I've never put any of the other strings out of tune though. Then a minute ago I just saw this thread about Drop Bb tuning. How low does it go?
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
Db. I don't go lower than that unless I'm on a seven string, and that's only B standard.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I play some stuff in drop C. As per poster above, I dicked around the other day and went to Ab. That sounded tremendous.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
Drop A once on my seven string, other than that I keep one guitar in drop C and sometimes drop one to D. 7 is normally in B standard.
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
lowest I've ever gone was GEADEBD from E to E for a few tesseract songs but I also use DR drop downs which are .060, .052, .038, .020, .012 But thats just because this is my drop down guitar normally I use it as a 7 string without the high e, or keep it super tighter in D standard. So my normal lowest tuning would prolly be Drop A for. I play prog metal and djent mostly.
Last edited by CRG123 at May 4, 2011,
I play in Eb regularly, and every now and then I'll go to Drop D or Drop C# to mess around, but it's never anything serious. And sometimes I'll go down to, like, Drop G or something(Iunno, I just turn the tuner downward 3 or 4 times) to make fun of core kids with my band, but...well, it's not serious. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
[quote="'[Azrael"]']Drop A once on my seven string, other than that I keep one guitar in drop C and sometimes drop one to D. 7 is normally in B standard.
I guess B standard is B, E, A, D, G, B, E? So an 8 string would be G standard??
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

I'd go drop C#, further is unnecessary. Drop D features the open power chords and such, which is functional. Live, my band plays all our songs in half step down though, as half of our repertoire is written that way, and to avoid tuning up and down we just keep it at half step down all the time, and that makes our drop D song a drop C#. But I don't really see the point of tuning down further for a "heavy" sound, that is determined by the music imo.
Quote by Rich EpiWildkat

F#BEADGBE

Or if your Tosin from Animals as leaders EBEADGBE or EBDADGBE

its like having a the range of a Bass and a 7 string haha

check it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-RoSzsEKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j20pULM1-x4

the lessons prolly not the best example normally he uses hybrid picking mixed with slap bass technique its some pretty cool stuff, figured if you were wondering about low tunings I should show you some stuff thats not just chug chug chug scream haha
Last edited by CRG123 at May 4, 2011,
On my 6 string the lowest I ever went was Drop B (I keep it at standard now). On my 7 string I usually keep it in the range from drop G# to Drop Bb. Right now it's at Drop A though.
Once I get my eight string I may put it in Drop E (That'd be one whole octave down from standard E).
Drop A, i always use drop A, dont ask why, it sounds exactly the same as any drop tuning just like lower... but yeah i found it really hard to tune in drop A the strings got so sensitive...
Drop Db with the low Db dropped to G# iirc.

Sikth FTW.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Rich EpiWildkat

That's right for 7s, but 8s go to F# to facilitate playing the regular powerchord shape (I assume).
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
So who's dropping their bass tunings? :P any Drop D Lute players out there?

You go as low as you need to if you dynamically and effectively use the range. I agree that if you're just hashing out chugging riffs, down tuning is a crutch. But I think drop D, drop C, drop B, etc, are as much crutches in this regard. Anything can be overused and unnecessary. Playing something in drop D just because power chords are too hard is the same idea.

For the record, I play a standard tuned 7 string . I like the option of being able to play in standard tuning, drop D or drop A and only needing to tune one string. I also like drop a/drop d, which gives me the lowest two strings of D standard. When you get into mixing everything up, you get some really cool drones with open tunings. In that sense, 'too low' is only a matter of how fresh your playing is/isn't. When it comes to standard tuning in other keys, I usually go back to a six string.
Drop b on one guitar...usually in standard tuning or d standard.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
I've used everything between E Standard and Drop G# (Within The Ruins), and I have a use for pretty much every single one of thse tunings if i go to them. butI NORMALLY stay in Drop D because that's what my band uses.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I have one guitar for C Stan, and Drop Bb, the other will be in Bb standard.

I think any tuning can be used, meshuggah use F as their lowest note, and they use it all the time.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
A#, very, very rarely though. I usually do something along the lines of C Standard, D Standard, or Open C when drop tuning
At the moment I keep my 7 string tuned to A standard and regularly go to drop G, did tune it to F once but the string wouldn't hold the tuning at all so that didn't last long...

On a 6 I have used D standard with a low G once for some Sikth type madness, that was fun.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I usually use drop D for my own stuff, because it's so much more practical to tune in and out of than anything else and I don't like to change guitars that often. I use it not to sound heavy but because I like the chord shapes it produces. Then again, I've occasionally thought about getting a baritone guitar for drop A, simply because my voice is too low for a lot of drop D stuff. (Most people use drop tunings with ridiculous amounts of distortion to sound heavy, but I play almost clean and so lightly that I don't sound heavy in ANY tuning). The band I play bass in tunes to drop C#, though, because our guitarist (who writes everything we ever play) is most comfortable that way. I don't like drop C#.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
I use drop E on my 8-string, it's almost always in that tuning. I sometimes drop it down to drop Eb or a bass's drop D for an open Dm tuning. The lowest I've genuinely used though is 'drop' B/Bb/A an octave down, with double Bs so I can bar an octave and compliment the bass. I don't use it much because I need a longer scale for proper intonation and tension, but I have a few song ideas waiting to be realised when I get a custom guitar.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Lowest tuning I would actually use on a regular basis is Drop C#/Drop C, although I have dropped down to Drop F once or twice just for lols
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Drop G# on my six string, could go lower
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
Quote by Tom 1.0

Sikth FTW.

+1 for SikTh

Also, Drop A on my RG2EX1 although I really prefer Drop B or C. Also, inb4 get a 7 string if you're going that low because it will inevitably lead to a discussion that ultimately ends with "7 string at 25.5" is exactly the same as 6 string at 25.5" "
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Drop Bb on a six string. Drop Ab on a seven.
The Vancouver Canucks rule.
In the words of Arterial: "You sir, are pioneering a new type of stupid."
If im playing other people's songs, I don't go any further than Drop C. However if writing my own I don't go lower than Drop D.
Quote by Tom 1.0

This and Drop A for me.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Just finished a uni project where i was utilising C#0 (2nd fret low B on 5/6 string bass) as my lowest note, it's more in a soundscaping sense but still got some great results.
I hate being below CGCFAD, and I really don't even care for that tuning. Strings are too slinky and my playing gets a lot more sloppy. I'm a standard tuning guy (don't even care for drop D anymore).

That being said, slinkiness is the only reason I don't like tuning down. I'd like to have an 8-string because I love the sound of them and what they bring to the table.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Page 1 of 2