I use an overdrive pedal (maxon 808) with my peavey 6505+ and mesa dual rect cab and can get a really good rhythem sound...but when I start soloing...it just feels kinda lifeless.

What kind of pedal can i get to make the solos sound really crisp and "break through" the rhythem tone? Would delay and reverb be the answer? any pedals that combine the 2?

I have heard that the echopark is a good pedal...would you recommend it. If you are interested I kinda want this sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqy7EJr17P4&feature=related

Thanks if you can help!
Get a decent compressor. I love using one on my leads, just makes everything sound awesome.

Reverbs and delays sound great when recorded but I find when performing live, you find your recording settings just sound muddy and as lifeless as what you started with.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
get an EQ pedal and set it up as a lead boost.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by New_Crisis
get an EQ pedal and set it up as a lead boost.

can you recommend some??
I really like the MXR 6 band or 10 band. either that or a Boss GE-7.
I'm about to pick up a MXR 10 band to use to boost my leads as well!

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
I'd say a compressor might help you a little more than an EQ but either would probably do the trick. The MXR 6 band and 10 bands are popular, the 10 band has a volume boost which the 6 doesn't have. You might like a delay as well, but doesn't seem like it's exactly what you want. Check out a compressor or EQ first and if you feel like you still need something else look into a delay.
I use an eq as boost and sometimes a compressor. The reverb on my amp (112) is crap but I don't have a reverb unit, wish I did. I have the Echo park, it's pretty good, at least it has tap tempo, works great for some lead stuff -eats batteries though so you need to plug it in.
If you want something simple, just get the MXR Micro Amp for $65 off Musician's Friend. Put it in your effects loop and it will provide an adjustable volume boost when engaged; put it in your signal chain and it will push the preamp tubes more. Plus, it's not tone-sucking.
Rhythm*
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
hm okay interesting, ill look into that.

Also does the echopark have a reverb setting on it? If not, is there a decent pedal that does both? Just looking to add a bit of each so i dont need a ton of settings. thanks
Last edited by dvm25 at May 4, 2011,
If its only a boost you need and you have alot of money look into Xotic Boosters
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by New_Crisis
I really like the MXR 6 band or 10 band. either that or a Boss GE-7.
I'm about to pick up a MXR 10 band to use to boost my leads as well!

The GE7 is noisy unless you stealth mod it. I have an old Japanese one. Works well.

For leads I will use the GE7, or a pedal Sonic Maximizer, or both... maybe a tad of chorus or flange.
What amp does your rhythm guitarist have?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Tom 1.0
......wut?

I noticed that tapping runs that sound very un-clean suddenly sound crisp when i hit on a compressor model. I googled it, and apparently compressors increase the volume when it falls below a threshold and decrease when it goes above.
Isnt that kinda like cheating? I mean, if youre having trouble with a solo, you can just hit on a comp to hide all the mistakes unless I'm setting it up wrong?
Your doing it wrong,

a compressor does do that, but it doesnt improve your playing,

it can hide mistakes but in this case it could allow TS to actually make sure he keeps some sustain and gives a "boost" to his volume/tone as well as sound slightly different to his usual tone.

Compressors are awesome for that sort of thing IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
It "compresses" your tone, like you said, it can cut/boost volume whilst maintaining the dynamics of your playing if used correctly, a great example would be something like when you listen to a vocal line and the whispered vocals are as loud as the screams, get what I mean?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
all you need is a good overdrive pedal such as a ibanez ts9 tubescreamer or a fulltone ocd

i use a way huge green rhino myself, great lead boost
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Tom 1.0
It "compresses" your tone, like you said, it can cut/boost volume whilst maintaining the dynamics of your playing if used correctly, a great example would be something like when you listen to a vocal line and the whispered vocals are as loud as the screams, get what I mean?

Yeah, I get what you mean.
But playing dynamics?

Hitting on a comp makes my tones either completely clean or completely dirty.
Yep.....looks like I suck at setting it up x.x
It makes the volume consistant, but keeps the feel.

Makes the quiet parts louder whilst still "sounding" quiet.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb