What is your fingering for an open power chord? By "open power chord" I mean a power chord without the 5th in the middle (without the middle string, so there's only two notes sounding rather than three). I used to always do it with 1 and 3, but now I'm finding that 1 and 4 is much more comfortable.

Also, what fingering do you use for a normal, regular power chord? I use 1, 3, and 4. Some people just use 1 and bar with 3 or bar with 4. Which is better, or does it even matter?
The 'chord' you describe in the first half of your post isn't a power chord or even a chord at all, it's just an octave; it only contains one note. Find the way that's most comfortable for you in the situations you need to use it in; be flexible enough to alter your fingerings depending on what's going on in the rest of the song.

Same goes for powerchords although I would stay away from barring it unless I absolutely had to. Also FYI: it's spelled "barre" in this context.

Edit: For future reference the word "open" generally refers to the open strings as well, just FYI.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at May 4, 2011,