So, I'm having a problem cutting down on pick noise, and if anybody could listen to the short as hell sample on my profile and offer tips, I'd appreciate it. I think I've got my picking technique pretty solid, but obviously not if it keeps happening like this. The problem is very pronounced once I kick in a lot of distortion(the sample on my profile that I uploaded has a Big Muff on, for example), but I've noticed it at light/medium overdrive, too. I'm picking over the neck pickup with the bridge's volume on and the tone rolled off. If anybody can listen and give me a few tips on how the hell I can cut down on it, I'd really appreciate it. I've tried a few different types of picks and at this point it's just pissing me off.
Angle your pick less, cut down the treble on the amp. Really though if you've got your tone rolled completely off then you shouldn't be getting much pick attack at all, that's slightly confusing to me at best...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well it's probably not the pick as much as it is how you're holding it. Optimally, for a super clean sound where you don't hear the pick grate, you're going to want the rounded back parallel to the string.

Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you, but it's not the pick - it's how you use it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
The only thing I can think of is your pups are too high. And when you go to pick, you're hitting the pup or they are sensitive enough to pick it up. Try playing next to the pup instead of right over it, and see if the problem goes away.

If it does lower your pup a few mm's... if it doesnt help, then I have no clue and probably wasted 10 seconds of your life
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
I don't think it's that the pickups are too high; it takes a lot of pressure to make the strings actually hit them. I've been working on my picking angle, but I can still pick up the noise, at least a little bit. Am I just being oversensitive with this, is it something that I need to accept(the fact that there'll always be at least a bit of pick noise)?
Quote by UnbrokenGlass
I don't think it's that the pickups are too high; it takes a lot of pressure to make the strings actually hit them. I've been working on my picking angle, but I can still pick up the noise, at least a little bit. Am I just being oversensitive with this, is it something that I need to accept(the fact that there'll always be at least a bit of pick noise)?

Sorry I worded that wrong. I meant hitting the pup with the pick its self, not hitting the pup with the string.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
Sorry I worded that wrong. I meant hitting the pup with the pick its self, not hitting the pup with the string.

That shouldn't really have an effect on the sound since pickups work by electromagnetic induction... unless you're using a pick that's made of a magnetic material but I doubt it somehow

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Play without the pick for best possible results, both during and after you get used to playing without it.
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Quote by AllJudasPriest
Play without the pick for best possible results, both during and after you get used to playing without it.

Yeah, I don't know how that would really work. I play pretty rough rock music and would probably tear my fingers up something fierce.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That shouldn't really have an effect on the sound since pickups work by electromagnetic induction... unless you're using a pick that's made of a magnetic material but I doubt it somehow

I don't know, I might have to test it with another guitar; could it be that my pick-ups are just microphonic and picking that up(or would they be shrieking like a bastard with the distortion on)?
Quote by UnbrokenGlass
I don't know, I might have to test it with another guitar; could it be that my pick-ups are just microphonic and picking that up(or would they be shrieking like a bastard with the distortion on)?

I don't know about that, I don't know how pickup microphonics work at all, if you have microphonic pickups I think you might have bigger issues than pick noise

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't know about that, I don't know how pickup microphonics work at all, if you have microphonic pickups I think you might have bigger issues than pick noise

Why? Maybe I like a guitar that'll feedback like a banshee sometimes. :-p

No, thank you for the help. After trying a bunch of stuff, it did turn out to be my hand positioning; one of my buddies helped me figure a better way to hang the guitar that cuts down on it a lot(and the rest I'll manage through practice and learning to accept that playing with a lot of distortion means I'll be hearing at least some pick noise).
Quote by UnbrokenGlass
Yeah, I don't know how that would really work. I play pretty rough rock music and would probably tear my fingers up something fierce.
It can still be done, learn how to on an acoustic guitar. Try the back of your fingers for power chords, it will get progressively easier and more routine the more you do it.
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Not knowing what picks you use but maybe go for a pick with a sharper tip?
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion