So yet again, i come to UG to look to expand my music theory knowledge, as i was watching brodericks chaos theory .....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRgjCi8OUR4

and i watched the chords after the intro? how are chords like these formed? i want to get away from the regular minor chords and power chord stuff, i wanna throw some interesting stuff in there. I like playing neo classical like stuff too, i also like blues etc... but i also wanna spice up my thrash metal riffage a bit with some different chords. I want how these are made so i can put them to use in my own playing and technique.

If you need more information ill be glad to answer

-Thanks

PS (in the video skip to 1:09)
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at May 4, 2011,
4 hours and no one damn.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
just google "chord construction". There's only really three types of chords and then alterations. There aren't any secrets for awesome chords; learn how to build them and find voicings that sound interesting to you.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Quote by Instrumetal
just google "chord construction". There's only really three types of chords and then alterations. There aren't any secrets for awesome chords; learn how to build them and find voicings that sound interesting to you.

Pretty much. Just learn chord construction. The guy in the vid seems to be pretty on top of his stuff, he's straight out telling you the names of the chords, and their inversions, so figure out how they're made, and you'll be able to follow.

I actually really like how this guy never says "modes". He obviously isn't playing modes, but it's refreshing to see a youtube guitarist who doesn't start his vid by saying "oh I'm going to teach you the modes in the key of C". At least this guy is completely aware it's all the G minor/harmonic minor scale and key and says it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
He mentions playing inversions of chords, so if you reckon you know how to play major and minor 7th chords try learning them starting on the second and third note of the chord - i dont know how to explain inversions but someone on the interwebs will be have lessons on this subject im sure
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by AlanHB

I actually really like how this guy never says "modes". He obviously isn't playing modes, but it's refreshing to see a youtube guitarist who doesn't start his vid by saying "oh I'm going to teach you the modes in the key of C". At least this guy is completely aware it's all the G minor/harmonic minor scale and key and says it.

Chris Broderick... just a Youtube guitarist?

Lead guitarist for Megadeth with a degree in classical guitar performance. He's a beast.

And yes, it was nice to see someone on Youtube know exactly what they are talking about.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2

Lead guitarist for Megadeth with a degree in classical guitar performance. He's a beast.

And yes, it was nice to see someone on Youtube know exactly what they are talking about.

I'm sorry I offended you, I should have said "a guitarist on youtube".

I hope you're happy now.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'm sorry I offended you, I should have said "a guitarist on youtube".

I hope you're happy now.

I'm just saying, if he didn't know his stuff I would have lost all faith in humanity.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I have to admit I did cringe a bit when you said "a youtube guitarist", the guy is ridiculously good at what he does.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
I have to admit I did cringe a bit when you said "a youtube guitarist", the guy is ridiculously good at what he does.

Does anybody else need a hug?
Soundcloud
Did he just say Ebmaj7 was the Neapolitan chord of G minor?

He also talks alot about muting, but the end result is noisy and less than desirable.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at May 5, 2011,
Quote by rockingamer2

That's why he doesn't say "modes" because he knows what they are and are not. IMO he's an example to be followed. He's a beast of a guitarist but he's earned the right to be one, he's put in the work and the time, and he's got the balance, discipline, maturity and perspective to back it up.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
That's why he doesn't say "modes" because he knows what they are and are not. IMO he's an example to be followed. He's a beast of a guitarist but he's earned the right to be one, he's put in the work and the time, and he's got the balance, discipline, maturity and perspective to back it up.

this. chris broderick is basically the one example i turn to when i need to remind myself that i can still become a better guitarist and put the theory i know to even better use.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Ok ill do some research on chord construction after i get done tonight, ill also look up inversions, or what hes talking about in the vid...but i have to ask...he says a 5 chord....wtf does that mean just 5? whats that 5 based off of? 5 notes from a given key/scale?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Ok ill do some research on chord construction after i get done tonight, ill also look up inversions, or what hes talking about in the vid...but i have to ask...he says a 5 chord....wtf does that mean just 5? whats that 5 based off of? 5 notes from a given key/scale?

A 5 chord generally means one of two things (couldn't be bothered looking at the video again).

It either means the chord built off the 5th note in the parent scale/key ie the V/v chord.

Or it means a chord containing just the root and the 5th of the chord, colloquially referred to as a "power chord".
Soundcloud