I'm just getting started learning the bass, played the guitar for 4 years prior. I'm working on my finger picking speed, by learning some Blink 182 songs.

About halfway through my picking hand started to get tingly, fuzzy, whatever you want to call it.

I just want to know if this is normal at first, or if it is something like carpal tunnel how can I prevent this. Or exercise/stretch whatever.

One more thing, I'm learning on my dad's bass and his strap is very high. Like right below chest level. On my guitar strap it's near my bellybutton/waist. Could this be the culprit?

Thank you in advance.
Check the angle of your wrist isn't too sharp and make sure you're always relaxed. That's all I can think of really. Hopefully someone else can be a little more helpful. All the best
Quote by MetallicSka

One more thing, I'm learning on my dad's bass and his strap is very high. Like right below chest level. On my guitar strap it's near my bellybutton/waist. Could this be the culprit?

Why don't you lower it and find out? Maybe you're not used to bending your wrist that much.
Also, I can't say I know much about Blink 182, but I'm guessing their bassist uses a pick.
REGGIE
Tingly/fuzzy feelings are usually a pinched nerve for me. Sometimes I get them in my elbow and it makes my pinky/ring finger feel tingly. Carpal tunnel is usually felt in the back of the hand. That's how it is for me anyway. Just do some stretching, grab your finger tips with your opposite hand and pull back stretching all your forearm muscles, stretch out your fingers too. I just got a revelation: if your bass is up too high and you're not used to it, your elbow will be bent more, and when you tense your muscles to play (especially on the bass, because it requires more strength) your nerves in your elbow can get pinched by the joint. If it's really bothering you, you can just ease off and only play a little bit here and there so you don't get rusty, but still give your injury time to heal.
tingles are no good, definately not normal.

Quote by LeakyFlask
Why don't you lower it and find out? Maybe you're not used to bending your wrist that much.
Also, I can't say I know much about Blink 182, but I'm guessing their bassist uses a pick.

so what if their bassist uses a pick? hes working on building finger speed and blink is a good band for that.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian

So tingles can be caused by a bad wrist angle, right? I'm pretty sure that's the problem. This can be fixed by moving it to a more comfortable position and relaxing?
One thing might be that if your arm is resting on the side of the bass you could be cutting off the circulation to your hand....
Quote by the_perdestrian

so what if their bassist uses a pick? hes working on building finger speed and blink is a good band for that.

Sure, he's free to play it any way he wants, whatever works you know, what I meant was that if it's written to be played with a pick by Mick Hopper or Matt Hooper or Mott the Hoople or whatever his name is, then it might feel a bit unnatural to play it fingerstyle (the same way it might feel weird/hard to play a fingerstyle song with a pick). But of course, to each his own and it's not the culprit in this case anyways.
REGGIE
My guess would be that your hand is too tense, try to stay as relaxed as possible.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at May 5, 2011,