Okay, let me start off by saying that I have very little knowledge of pedals, and effects loops and things like that. I use this gnx guitar processor board thingy that I borrowed from a friend and have been using since I started playing.

So my question is this: Should I eventually look into geting a bunch of separate pedals, or making a pedalboard, or should I just stick with the processor?

Also, do amps have any effect on pedals? Like, will a better amp bring out more tone and whatnot from a pedal and/or guitar processor?

Thanks
separate pedals sound better and you can actually customize your song by deciding which exact pedal you want for each effect
and yeah, better amps sound better with pedals

multi-effects are versatile and give you effects for everything, they're good for everything but great for nothing
Quote by Darkflame
separate pedals sound better and you can actually customize your song by deciding which exact pedal you want for each effect
and yeah, better amps sound better with pedals

multi-effects are versatile and give you effects for everything, they're good for everything but great for nothing

Depends on the MFX in question.
If it's something like a Zoom G1, then that is valid.
If its a high end system like the POD HD500 or the TCE G Major (im not bothering with the Axe Fx), then that is a gross generalization that is also inaccurate.

EDIT: @TS: If you are in a budget and need lots of effects, an MFX is what you need. Else if its just a few you want, take single pedals.

MFX pedals generally do not sound good till your each the 300-400 dollar mark, and the best ones are 600+, with some monsters costing much more (Axe Fx, G System etc).
Different MFX pedals have different pros and cons.
The only thing about MFX pedals that is consistent is ease of use. Ie no tap dancing. Change everything with one stomp.

What genres do you play? Budget? Location? Effects needed?
EDIT2: If you are using a normal guitar amp (ie Marshall JCM, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Blues Junior, Vox VT+ etc), it will have the single biggest effect on your tone.

2000 dollar MFX ->- MG=Crap sound
300 dollar MFX ->- Fender Hot Rod Deville=Nice tone.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at May 4, 2011,
well it was a gross generalization, but in general, it remains true. it'd be dumb to compare cheap pedals and expensive multieffects or cheap multieffects and boutique pedals.
and I've had experience with everything but the axe-fx, in terms of mfx, and none has impressed me.
Quote by Darkflame
well it was a gross generalization, but in general, it remains true. it'd be dumb to compare cheap pedals and expensive multieffects or cheap multieffects and boutique pedals.
and I've had experience with everything but the axe-fx, in terms of mfx, and none has impressed me.

I still say that when properly tweaked, effects wise, a good MFX can sound as good as a single pedal.
Effects mind you, not amp modelling. Thats a whole other can of worms.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Depends on the MFX in question.
If it's something like a Zoom G1, then that is valid.
If its a high end system like the POD HD500 or the TCE G Major (im not bothering with the Axe Fx), then that is a gross generalization that is also inaccurate.

EDIT: @TS: If you are in a budget and need lots of effects, an MFX is what you need. Else if its just a few you want, take single pedals.

MFX pedals generally do not sound good till your each the 300-400 dollar mark, and the best ones are 600+, with some monsters costing much more (Axe Fx, G System etc).
Different MFX pedals have different pros and cons.
The only thing about MFX pedals that is consistent is ease of use. Ie no tap dancing. Change everything with one stomp.

What genres do you play? Budget? Location? Effects needed?

I play Alternative rock, metal, and some slower acoustic stuff. I have no clue how much the processor I use cost, or even how old it is and I'm playing through a pretty shitty amp so I'm really not sure how much better it would sound through a higher end one.

My budget isn't really important as I'm not looking into buying anything at the moment, just curious as to whther I should down the road sometime. I'm in Colorado Springs.

As for the effects, you know... the general stuff. Fuzz, delay, chorus things like that.

I've never understood pedals so I am kind of apprehensive to buy one. Especially once you have multiple ones don't you have to mess with all the knobs and junk on them, then have them in the correct order to sound good and stuff? It's a lot for me to think about.
Since the TS knows nothing about effects, he probably doesn't have the slightest clue which ones he likes either.

I'd go for a middle-of-the-road unit like a PodXT Live.

That way he can get a good idea of what effects he wants based on his own experimentation, plus it's good enough that he can use it for a headphone amp when he starts upgrading.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Permaphrost
I play Alternative rock, metal, and some slower acoustic stuff. I have no clue how much the processor I use cost, or even how old it is and I'm playing through a pretty shitty amp so I'm really not sure how much better it would sound through a higher end one.

My budget isn't really important as I'm not looking into buying anything at the moment, just curious as to whther I should down the road sometime. I'm in Colorado Springs.

As for the effects, you know... the general stuff. Fuzz, delay, chorus things like that.

I've never understood pedals so I am kind of apprehensive to buy one. Especially once you have multiple ones don't you have to mess with all the knobs and junk on them, then have them in the correct order to sound good and stuff? It's a lot for me to think about.

If you dont know what effects you want, I suggest buying a cheap MFX second hand of EBay and playing around.
I never knew if I'd ever need anything aside from distortion till my dad got me my RP500 in a fit of misguided generosity.
Now I cant survive without the following-
OD/Clean boost
Chorus
Delay
Room and Hall verb
Harmonizer
Pitch Shifter
Flanger
Compressor

And these amp models- 5150, Mark IV, Dual Recto, Triple Recto, Twin Reverb, JTM 45.
EDIT: Oh and a Parametric EQ too. Cant live without those. Impossible to make an MG sound half decent without one.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at May 4, 2011,
How did i know that as soon as i saw gs in the replies he'd be in here bigging up the multifx...

fwiw i agree that separate pedals will sound better. Multifx units like the tc stuff is cool especially for convenience and the effects are really good quality but there is always a few weak effects usually the analog based ones.

I myself am wanting to pick up a g major but the thing is i just want it in the loop for some delays and verbs and stuff and dont wanna deal with stompboxes and would rather set presets for that kind of thing..