I want to replace the tubes in my egnater head but i only have enough cash for one right now, which should i replace?
V1 is the preamp, V2 is the loop, V3 is the power amp.
Which one would be the best place to put it to get the most out of it?
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Umm... Preamp? Where did you even get the idea to put it somewhere else? The preamp's what 12AX7's are made for.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
V3 is the phase inverter. It's like any other signal, the first spot will make the most difference, followed by V2, then V3 will be negligible, but would still be good to change out.
Honestly, If you're not sure what you're doing, don't touch the amp. Why do you think the 12AX7's are bad? I've read that those little tubes can last for 30 years if properly cared for. Have some old ones in my Fender Twin working just fine. Power tubes usually cause problems.
Quote by SWilson
Honestly, If you're not sure what you're doing, don't touch the amp. Why do you think the 12AX7's are bad? I've read that those little tubes can last for 30 years if properly cared for. Have some old ones in my Fender Twin working just fine. Power tubes usually cause problems.

Because a lot of stock tubes in amps suck. He might want to get some better ones, or even some NOS ones.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
V1 always makes the most difference.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Except when you're plugged into the vibrato channel on a fender product.
If the tube in your phase inverter sucks then it doesn't matter what you do to V1.

That being said, given that the PI tube is good then V1 will usually make the most difference. There are some times where this is not the case, but usually it is.
Quote by Roc8995
Except when you're plugged into the vibrato channel on a fender product.

What kind of idiot owns a Fender though?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by SWilson

really..

well thanks guys, I dont get why theres even a 12ax7 in the power amp, can someone explain?

I just wanted to make sure it would affect the preamp well without switching any others.

and V2, the loop, is only if youre using like a jam track or a loop pedal right?? I never understood those..
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
I'm guessing you have one of the tweakers.

If so then in the power amp you need the to split the signal into two parts of the same amplitude, but out of phase with each other. So the 12ax7 is a phase inverter, in that it splits the signal into two equal but opposite signals.
x beat me to it. phase inverter is technically part of the power amp.

it's surprising that both halves of v2 are used for the loop though.

anyhow, changing v1 would make the most difference.

although the loop is serial so changing v2 would make a difference too.

where are you getting one tube from? unless you're getting free shipping I'd wait. buying just one tube isn't worth it.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
my brother's making an order from tubesandmore, the tung sol RI's are 15 so meh

what's the importance of a phase inverter though?

and for the effects loop, I could hook up a pedal board there, or from my guitar into the input right?
- Carl Sagan
Last edited by SKArface McDank at May 4, 2011,
the effects loop is for effects?

they can go in front or in the loop.

the phase inverter is what drives the power amp. essentially.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam