Hi!

I'm currently looking into buying my first all tube amp. I play stuff like All That Remains, Metallica, Megadeth, Trivium etc. My price range is about $600 max. I was looking into getting a Peavey 6505+ 112, and using my POD HD300 for cleans, and a solo boost. I remember the word's of James Hetfield, "Distortion always starts with the amp. Pedals don't seem to do much... just some fuzz on the top. They're excellent for solo cuts, but get rid of the smooth rhythm tone." And I would like to stick to what he's saying.

I was also looking into getting the extra cash and possibly getting the Peavey Valveking stack? I also play stuff by Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Rhandy Rhoads, Black Sabbath, etc. I would like a versatile amp, but I'm not so sure what I can get for my price range. Maybe a few more options would help so I can decide better. I'm planning on gigging pretty soon too... so I need something that can project, and cut through.

My gear:
Fender Frontman 15w
Jackson dk2m
(Borrowed) Fender Frontman 65r which I currently use.
Peavey XXX sounds like it would do what you want. The 6505+ can do some of those vintage tones ok too. And the cleans on it aren't really that bad.

For the price you're willing to pay I'd stay away from the valveking.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
hmmm..... The Peavey XXX combo seems a little difficult to find. I'll probably go with the 6505+... but Peavey can't be my only option..
Last edited by Wardance77 at May 4, 2011,
a 6262 or 333Xl could handle that, although the vintage stuff needs more vintage amps really.

a used XXX or 6505 would be good aswell.

you could prolly get away with a vypyr tube aswell, give it a play before you decide tho....
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Well I'm a little on the fence of getting the 6505+ because apparently it's sound projection isn't to good because it has a closed back or something like that? Help anyone?
I love the distortion on the 6505+, im not crazy about the cleans though. Don't get me wrong, it can get clean, but I play really clean to really heavy so I needed versatiliy
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
I think the POD Hd300 I have should fix the clean pretty well, don't you think so?