ok so if i wanted to have gibson make a guitar to my specifications (es 335 with 3 57 classic humbuckers, a gibrola and cherry burst finnish, maple neck, piezo pickup and 2 output jacks) how much would it cost me?
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
your soul, perhaps
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
i have no idea as to the actual cost, but if you talk to your local gibby dealer they should have info. and you should bring your car title
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Quote by Tom 1.0
do you own a house?

nope im 16 but i want to be able to buy one by 30 so i guess ill start to save now
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
Quote by fmonzo27
nope im 16 but i want to be able to buy one by 30 so i guess ill start to save now

If you pull this off you will be the most motivated person ever...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Well you will probably need the house to secure your epicly huge loan.

I also though Gibson would only make custom orders if you ordered like 25 or something?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

I also though Gibson would only make custom orders if you ordered like 25 or something?

thats what I heard. oh, and yeah, you'll probly need to sell your kidneys, liver and pancreas on the black market to buy one of them.
Quote by fmonzo27
how much would it cost me?

Just a blood sacrifice, your firstborn, your immortal soul and your eternal allegiance in the afterlife.

On the other hand, what you mentioned in your first post sounds like the sort of thing you could just build yourself out of a regular 335. Other than the maple neck, I dunno how many of those there are. And I'm assuming "gibrola" is supposed to be "vibrola."
OTOH, you could probably get a luthier to do something that resembled that 335 and built to your specs for a whole lot less. $2000+ USD would probably be a baseline quote to expect.

...and you might get a better instrument.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 4, 2011,
A private luthier will do it for 4-5K if you have a high-quality hollow body in mind. Gibson will do it for more like 12-15K but they won't deal with just anyone. The only custom order a member of the public can do is an existing model with a different standard solid, metallic or burst finish. If you want an actual custom build like a custom pickup layout and different jacks then you're not going to have any luck with Gibson. They only do that stuff for a restricted list of artists. The only custom shop more restricted than Gibson's is the PRS one.
actually gibson is way more restricted.

they don't actually have a custom shop.

prs will make a guitar for anybody.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
very true. i think the price of a custom gibson would be inflated far beyond the expected price of even the highest price guitars (like prs).

on the other hand, you can outright buy a PRS private stock guitar for oh starting at about 6-7000 all the way up past 10,000. not only will be it higher quality and be tailored to the user better than the gibson, but i would imagine the gibson would still cost more...cause its a gibson.

in fact there are many guitar makers i would turn to before gibson. does hamer make custom guitars? stuff like that.
Oh, how I miss being a teenager and all the retarded ideas that went along with it...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
has to be the stupidest thread in a month, maybe a year.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
actually, i disagree.

though silly to drop THAT much money, the only time in one's life where they have a job and literally no expenses is in high school. i would by all means urge a young guitar player to drop thousands of dollars on gear in high school.

you think in college you will? during your first real job with a car payment, insurance, rent, food, bills? with a morgage and paying for shit in your house? a nice car? whatever the F**k your wife wants? KIDS????

thats all about your income. but what im sayin in, if you got a decent job in high school making more than minimum wage, you have thuosands of dollars in spending money.

i was on a sponsored competitive paintball team in high school and i easily dropped 2,000 on my rig and god knows how much playing. about 50-80 bucks an outing almost every weekend for 4 years.

...now, i wish i spent all that on guitar stuff. i can play guitar any time. no time in my life for paintball.
no its stupid to get a one off from gibson since they don't have a custom shop.

any self respecting luther whose good enough to make it on their own isn't working at gibson anymore.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by ikey_

though silly to drop THAT much money, the only time in one's life where they have a job and literally no expenses is in high school. i would by all means urge a young guitar player to drop thousands of dollars on gear in high school.

I agree with this. I don't know if I've bought anything other than strings since starting college four years ago. In high school I dropped a ridiculous amount of money on gear, because I had no other expenses.

I graduate in about five weeks, and you'd better believe that I'm in for a treat as soon as I get a job.

On topic, I don't think I could justify paying for a custom Gibson no matter how awesome the guitar was. It could be the greatest thing of all time and I'm not sure I could spend more than $5k on a guitar. At a certain point, the awesomeness would stop being worth the price. You can get a plenty awesome guitar for half that. More than half that, even.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
If you have to save up from now until you're 30, then you shouldn't be spending that much money on a guitar.
just mod an epi and get it out of your system now.

buy a sportscar when you're 30.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
you are better off getting a custom guitar by a very reputable luthier. it will be just as good if not, better than this custom gibson you want(which you cant get anyway cuz how selective the company is of custom orders).
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by ikey_
actually, i disagree.

you think in college you will? during your first real job with a car payment, insurance, rent, food, bills? with a morgage and paying for shit in your house? a nice car? whatever the F**k your wife wants? KIDS????

thats all about your income. but what im sayin in, if you got a decent job in high school making more than minimum wage, you have thuosands of dollars in spending money.

i was on a sponsored competitive paintball team in high school and i easily dropped 2,000 on my rig and god knows how much playing. about 50-80 bucks an outing almost every weekend for 4 years.

...now, i wish i spent all that on guitar stuff. i can play guitar any time. no time in my life for paintball.

This exactly. Not a custom model though. You'll be wasting your money. End of.

I don't drive and only pay rent. My job pays between £600 - £900 a month so I have a lot of free money. I've bought my gear now (Gibson Les Paul Standard and Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 Half Stack) because I know I won't be able to afford it in a few years. I've been playing 3 and a half years so it's much better gear than I need but I got it while I have the money. Just do it.