Over the last couple years, I've been moving more towards synths than playing guitar. I still have my guitar amp that I use on occasion. Rather than buying an amp dedicated to keyboards, could I use my AC30 to plug my synths into? I know plugging in a bass may blow the speakers, not sure if a synth would do that same...
There's a lot of details that go into it, but all in all I would say no.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
i wouldn't. but you could.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Well just look at the frequency response of the speaker and don't play anything outside those frequencies.
If a bass guitar will damage it don't you think a bass line on a keyboard will do the same thing?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I run keyboards through guitar amps sometimes. It's an interesting sound, to be sure. It'll sound like a cross between a keyboard and a guitar. Depeche Mode, for example, run synths through guitar amps all the time.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
itll be just fine, dont listen to this kindergaten safety freaks

i used to play a bass through a guitar amp all the time, just because a specsheet says one thing doesnt mean your amp will turn into a fireball if you go a few hertz over or under as long as its at a decent volume
Quote by effyeahjade

i used to play a bass through a guitar amp all the time, just because a specsheet says one thing doesnt mean your amp will turn into a fireball if you go a few hertz over or under as long as its at a decent volume

No, what it does mean is you'll blow the speaker eventually.
It's not the amp, it's the speaker. Learn what the hell you're talking about, or don't say anything.
Doing it for too long can and WILL damage the speaker.
TS, don't listen to this 8th grader trying to fit in with the college kids. It will be ok for a little bit, but if you go beyond it's range for too long you will damage the speaker. The amp doesnt give two ****s what it amplifies, but the speaker does.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at May 6, 2011,
and if im not mistaken the ac30 is a combo amp in which it would be fair to assume by just saying amp it covers the pcb, valves and speakers and everything else inbetween

in reality youd have to use it as your main amp and crank it a few times before you did any legitamite damage but playing around you're going to be just fine

if you're gonna turn it to 11 and play 2 hertz notes, you deserve a fireball
Quote by darkwolf291
No, what it does mean is you'll blow the speaker eventually.
It's not the amp, it's the speaker. Learn what the hell you're talking about, or don't say anything.
Doing it for too long can and WILL damage the speaker.
TS, don't listen to this 8th grader trying to fit in with the college kids. It will be ok for a little bit, but if you go beyond it's range for too long you will damage the speaker. The amp doesnt give two ****s what it amplifies, but the speaker does.

Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
eighth grader? im 20 dipshit

i said it wouldnt hurt for a little bit exactly as you said,
i also said it would damage it over time just as you said
and finally show me a speaker for a guitar amp that doesnt have response withen the human ears listenable range, i think youll be hard pressed to find one

i dont think theres very many keyboards or people who are going to play 1 hertz or 3 trillion hertz when they cant even ****ing hear it
Yup, no fireball, but you will blow the speaker eventually.

The speakers will over-exert it's self trying to reproduce the low-notes, and overtime you'll wear it out. Or you'll fry something internal in the speaker. Either way, it's not a good thing.
Christian Conservative.
Quote by effyeahjade
i outta play my bass through a tenor violin and fireball your house

BC Rich Warbeast NJ Deluxe
Peavey Ultra 2x12
Peavey 5150 cab with Celestions.
heres a nice middy guitar range speakers specs

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/spec.asp?ID=4

70 hz?

which guitar or keyboard have i heard playing that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwvkdyg94rQ

gtfo
Quote by effyeahjade
eighth grader? im 20 dipshit

i said it wouldnt hurt for a little bit exactly as you said,
i also said it would damage it over time just as you said
and finally show me a speaker for a guitar amp that doesnt have response withen the human ears listenable range, i think youll be hard pressed to find one

i dont think theres very many keyboards or people who are going to play 1 hertz or 3 trillion hertz when they cant even ****ing hear it

lulz.

And where exactly did you say that it would damage it over time?

Also, a lot of Bass frequencies are felt rather then heard. A guitar speaker doesn't just ignore frequencies out of it's range, it tries to reproduce them. And when it tries to reproduce things out of it's range, bad things happen.
Christian Conservative.
Quote by effyeahjade

Peavey Ultra 2x12
Quote by Stormleader
lulz.

And where exactly did you say that it would damage it over time?

Also, a lot of Bass frequencies are felt rather then heard. A guitar speaker doesn't just ignore frequencies out of it's range, it tries to reproduce them. And when it tries to reproduce things out of it's range, bad things happen.

Forget it stormy, he won't believe it.
Quote by darkwolf291
Again, YOU WILL NOT GET A FIREBALL.
YOUR SPEAKER WILL BLOW. Learn what you're talking about.
Keep it low, or buy a cheap keyboard amp.
EDIT: Also, what the **** does it being a combo have anything to do with it?!

This sage speaketh the truth. Most of the best Keyboard amplifiers are combo amps.

Yes, you could play your synth through your AC30, but it would be a very bad idea. As I recall, the AC30 has two Celestion Blue 15 watt speakers that are not what you'd call full-range. Throw in the distinctive tone of the AC30 and some of your notes might sound good; others will sound like elephant farts or fingernails on a blackboard. And when those low frequencies fry those beautiful Celestion Blues, you're going to find out just how much it costs (and hurts) to properly refurbish an AC30.

Either get yourself a dedicated Keyboard rig, or get a bass cabinet and run whatever amp you will use through that. Save your Vox for your guitar.

EDIT: If you use a guitar combo amp, disconnect the speakers in it before you run the bass cabinet with it. I can't vouch for how such a rig would sound, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at May 6, 2011,
i never said it wouldnt play them i just said and assumed someone wouldnt be dumb enough to try and play them in the first place,

"in reality youd have to use it as your main amp and crank it a few times before you did any legitamite damage"

was my way of saying it
Quote by effyeahjade
cool story bro but my point was that as long as its played within a reasonable freq at a reasonable volume nothing bad will happen

Not instantly, but you WILL ruin the speaker over time. Doesn't matter at what volume, sure, higher volume will fry it faster, but it will fry eventually either way.
Christian Conservative.
Quote by effyeahjade

Peavey Ultra 2x12
effyjade, is wrong.

classic case of reading without comprehending.

yes guitar speakers will reproduce 70hz. very poorly and they aren't made to do it for long periods of time.

A good bass speaker will go below 70hz.

If you look at the resonant frequency of that celestion effy posted it's at 75 hz. that means the speaker is going into internal feedback as you go down towards those frequencies.

celestions most expensive bass speakers have a frequency down to 32 with a resonance frequency of 33 or 34. Which means that they will produce down to 38-40 without hitting the resonant frequency of the speaker.

You don't want to be hitting the resonant frequency of the speakers. The full listed spec is always larger then what the speaker is capable of.

the more you know. ding.

Quote by effyeahjade
cool story bro but my point was that as long as its played within a reasonable freq at a reasonable volume nothing bad will happen

classic case of not reading at all
Classic case of ****ing idiot.
First, you told him it would be fine and it wouldn't hurt anything:
Quote by effyeahjade

Now, when your idiocy is called out, you change it up and say you were saying what I said all along. If you're gonna act like an idiot, at least be consistent.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at May 6, 2011,
Quote by effyeahjade

I'm sorry, but that is so getting sigged for stupidity. It doesn't even make any sense!
Christian Conservative.
Quote by effyeahjade

Peavey Ultra 2x12
Last edited by Stormleader at May 6, 2011,
TS, please listen to the voices of reason and experience in this thread who are telling you not to run a synthesizer through your Vox. Your speakers won't last very long. But if you listen to those who would throw caution to the wind, I think you should know that you are looking at $600.00+ worth of repairs in the very near future:

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Accessories/Amplifier-Parts/Instrument-Amp-Parts/Speakers-for-Instrument-Amps/Alnico-Blue-15W-12-Speaker.site1prod660252.product
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
epic is epic.

the bigger problem would be that a keyboard through a guitar amp just won't sound very good unless it's the sound that you're going for.

keep in mind that most guitar amps are very high impedance at the input to couple with the impedance of a guitar's pickups.

at the very least you'd need a d.i. box in order to match the load.

however if you did that and got a little full range speaker for your vox it would sound pretty damn good...

probably way too much for your keyboard though not to mention that you would still get distortion, which would respond very differently to a keyboard input then a guitar input.

but bands have definitely done it before.