Sup UG. Want to finally get a proper tube amp. My ears demand it. 2x12 or maybe 1x12.

Budget: Up to $1200-1400 USD MAX. It'll need to cover both a head and a cabinet, which is preferable so I could use the cabinet with other amps as well. Although I am willing to just get an awesome combo if it'll be a HUGE difference.

Genre(s): I'd like to be able to pull off an Eric Johnson-esque tone. I don't have his fingers or his budget, and I don't necessarily feel the need to have my amp tilted at an angle with an uncapped can of Armor-All on top in order to get his EXACT sound, but I'd like to get as close as I can. That's the main priority. Van Halen + Paul Gilbert + MUSE + some sort of clean tone would be nice too.

New or Used?: I'd like to get a new one. Unless it's from a store or something that I can easily return a lemon if I get that unlucky. But prefer new.

Home or Gig?: Mostly home with small gigs here and there.

Closest City: NYC

Current Gear: Ibanez PGM301 or MIM Strat => Dunlop Slash Wah => Boss NS-2 => Digitech Whammy IV => Boss NS-2 => Wampler Pinnacle II => Boss GE-7 => Devi Ever Bit Mangler => Zendrive => Boss LS-2 => Tech 21 US Steel + Tech 21 Oxford in Separate Loops => Ibanez AF-2 => EHX DMM (Old Enclosure) => Boss DD-3 => Liquid Chorus => Boss RV-5 => Roland Cube 60 or Vox AC4TV8

Also have a Boss AW-3, Blackstar HT-Dual, and a Damage Control Solid Metal that didn't fit on the board.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
Last edited by Dr. Faustus at May 11, 2011,
The Fender Vibrolux and Vox AC15 are the two best ive heard personally and thats the setup I'd get
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Maybe a JetCity JCA 2212.

u should be able to get a nice Van Halen tone with the wampler pinnacle btw.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I know that Johnson gets his Ah Via Musicom!-era tone (Cliffs of Dover) from an old Marshall Plexi and a Fender Twin (both of which are way too big for bedroom levels), so I would assume to start looking at maybe a low wattage Marshall and/or a low wattage Fender amp, like a Haze or a Deluxe Reverb. (During a song he will switch between the two and a third amp which I can't remember what it was.)
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
for versatility,cant go wrong with a peavey classic 50.pretty much capable of any sound you could want.pedals and effects work fine,from beautiful cleans to roaring distortion
The Fender and Vox have awesome cleans but I am a bit concerned about how the amp distortion is going to sound with them, even with an overdrive or distortion pedal going through them. I've heard that they can take pedals well, but based on some (limited) noodling on a friend's Fender and the AC4TV8, it seems like when the amp distortion gets to a certain point it sounds like it is going through a vintage radio or something? Not just a lack of a bottom end (which is expected with a tiny speaker cone) but the distorted sound seems a bit top heavy...

The Peavey Classic 50 seems promising, but there are a few concerning reviews that it is too bright/shrill without much low end...is that really the case?

My original plan was to get a Marshall MA50 but there were (again) people saying that they are rubbish...is that also the case?

The JCAs seems promising too, I'm liking the JCA50H right now.

Thanks for the suggestions! Any others?
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
Another vote for the JCA, I absolutely love mine, and it eats pedals for breakfast.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Marshall MAs suck, you probably want to stay away from those.

I'll second the Peavey Classic though. Almost forgot about that amp. Should do what you want pretty easily.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'll advocate my own amp here: Fender HRD. Great cleans and, with an overdrive pedal, rockin' gain tones.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
traynor ycv40 or 50? 40 is more fendery (with a much better od channel than e.g. the fender hot rod deluxe, which is its main competition), 50 is (allegedly, I've only tried the 40) more marshally.

As they've been saying above, johnson uses both fender and marshall so it really depends on which of his tones you need more- though if you need van halen and paul gilbert too i'd lean towards the marshally one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?