Poll: Which keyboard layout?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which keyboard layout?
QWERTY
365 96%
Dvorak
5 1%
Colemak
1 0%
XPeRT
1 0%
Neo
0 0%
other (which one?)
7 2%
Voters: 379.
Page 1 of 5
For most of my life, I have used QWERTY, but tonight I am switching the keys and the keyboard layout via my OS.

My choice? Dvorak!

Which is your preferred keyboard layout?

Did you know there were others?

Did you know that QWERTY was created to slow you down on purpose?

Read about it

Examples:

QWERTY

Dvorak

XPeRT

Colemak

Neo
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Last edited by GODhimself37 at May 5, 2011,
Fun fact:

Dvorak is used by the fastest typist in the world.

Quote by GODhimself37
Fun fact:

Fun fact:

Qwerty is used by every other typist in the world.
While Dvorak may be quicker in the long run, I don't know how much it is worth making the switch. It took me a long time to learn the keys on a QWERTY board so that I didn't have to look at them while I typed, and I don't know if I really want to have to go through it again.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by GODhimself37

Did you know that QWERTY was created to slow you down on purpose?

Yeah, but through constant repetition I'm super fast. I know Dvorak is supposed to be faster and better for you ergonomically, but I don't think it's worth hassle of learning a new system when QWERTY serves me perfectly well. Besides, I don't have the time to re-learn to type.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
QWERTY

The difficulty of getting the world to change from QWERTY to Dvorak approaches impossible.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Butt Rayge
Fun fact:

Qwerty is used by every other typist in the world.

Not Germans

They use some weird shit
QWERTY, but I'd like to switch to Dvorak.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
qwerty was not created for easy use. it was the format that would cause typewriters to jam up the least. i think dvorak might have been invented before qwerty actually. too lazy to google to make sure. in short, only indie pieces of shit use dvorak, but ohhh how i wish i could.
Quote by darkcheef
Not Germans

They use some weird shit

Theirs is a different form of QWERTY. Technically, I guess it would be QWERTZ..
I'd like to try Dvorak but I need to use a lot of different PC's and (although I haven't looked into it) I don't think there are any particularly easy ways of switching the layout on other PC's, especially without admin rights.

Can't really see myself being pro at two layouts...
QWERTY works, why would I switch?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
i would like to switch to dvorak now hearing about it, but that means i'd have to type while looking at the keyboard for the next couple months, i can type 120 wpm with qwerty so i might as well keep it, but if i ever get a job where i spend time on computers that may be an option
I like to listen Dvorak.....
(Antonin that is....)
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you
Quote by maowcat
i would like to switch to dvorak now hearing about it, but that means i'd have to type while looking at the keyboard for the next couple months, i can type 120 wpm with qwerty so i might as well keep it, but if i ever get a job where i spend time on computers that may be an option

I call bullshit
QWERTY, it may be slower but it's good enough, my mind would explode trying to learn a new systems after using qwerty for so long.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
QWERTY works, why would I switch?

Because Dvorak works much, much better. The same reason people with shitty cars get better cars.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Well, being a computer science major, switching to Dvorak is just the first step.

Next will be progammers Dvorak (only a few minor changes)

(personal preference, you dont have to use Dvorak at all)

QWERTY since I'm not a computer science major...
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
Yeah, but through constant repetition I'm super fast. I know Dvorak is supposed to be faster and better for you ergonomically, but I don't think it's worth hassle of learning a new system when QWERTY serves me perfectly well. Besides, I don't have the time to re-learn to type.

Technically, you aren't relearning, you still maintain the dexterity of typing regularly.

I too type incredibly fast with little errors on QWERTY, but I don't even use normal typing.

I use my middle finger on my left hand and my index and middle on my right.

It seems inefficient to use only 3 fingers but to me it's brainlessly easy and fast.

Quote by assparade69
qwerty was not created for easy use. it was the format that would cause typewriters to jam up the least. i think dvorak might have been invented before qwerty actually. too lazy to google to make sure. in short, only indie pieces of shit use dvorak, but ohhh how i wish i could.

Hey now, I don't consider myself indie at all.

The things I do are for the betterment of myself.

For example, I wear these

Not only because they are comfy as HELLLLLLLLLLLLL, but because they are better for my feet and legs.

They have completely replaced my old shoes.

I want to do the same with Dvorak. Of course, I'll always know QWERTY, but having the ability to try other things that might potentially be awesome is just my style.

Regardless if they look weird or the majority doesn't use them.

I wanna take my keyboard and just move the actual keys around so it looks like dvorak but have it still be a qwerty board.
no sir away a papaya war is on
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.

Quote by GODhimself37
Fun fact:

try to play a game.
^ I laughed at first too, but then I did some research. Ended up doing it till 4am. Bought a pair the next day. They will change the way you run, and the way you look at "normal" shoes.

Quote by rickyj
try to play a game.

You can assign keys in almost every game you play. All you have to do is reassign them to what the WASD keys were before and viola.

You guys keep saying it would take forever relearning, but dp you REALLY think that?

In Dvorak, over 80% of the keys you use will be on the home row.

It's simple memorization. It should only take you an hour tops to get it down to memory.

Quote by GODhimself37
^ I laughed at first too, but then I did some research. Ended up doing it till 4am. Bought a pair the next day. They will change the way you run, and the way you look at "normal" shoes.

Yeah, I don't doubt you've got a good reason to wear them. They just look ridiculous is all.

What are they called?
Last edited by Butt Rayge at May 5, 2011,
So.....how does one go about switching to Dvorak? Other than the reorganizing of the keys I think I can manage that
Quote by GODhimself37
You guys keep saying it would take forever relearning, but dp you REALLY think that?

In Dvorak, over 80% of the keys you use will be on the home row.

It's simple memorization. It should only take you an hour tops to get it down to memory.

It took me a year to memorize qwerty in a computer class.
Quote by GODhimself37

You can assign keys in almost every game you play. All you have to do is reassign them to what the WASD keys were before and viola.

My friend was heavily interested in wearing those (and so was I for a while), but I think I'd switch to Dvorak before using those. I know for those shoes you have to get your feet used to them, like wear them half an hour tops at first and stuff like that.

It just freaks me out a little to have my feet reshaped (so to speak) in order to use those shoes. I am really interested in Dvorak though, I'd imagine it wouldn't be THAT hard to memorize.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to change the keys on my keyboard.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Yeah, I don't doubt you've got a good reason to wear them. They just look ridiculous is all.

What are they called?

vibramfivefingers.com

I use black Treksports because I wanted to transition from a normal shoe and they were decently padded on the bottom. Also, not as conspicuous.

I'll probably get KSO's afterwards though.

Quote by musiclover2399
My friend was heavily interested in wearing those (and so was I for a while), but I think I'd switch to Dvorak before using those. I know for those shoes you have to get your feet used to them, like wear them half an hour tops at first and stuff like that.

It just freaks me out a little to have my feet reshaped (so to speak) in order to use those shoes. I am really interested in Dvorak though, I'd imagine it wouldn't be THAT hard to memorize.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to change the keys on my keyboard.

They are completely unrelated (keys and shoes), but the shoes don't reshape them, they FREE them.

I wore mine all day, and they were sore as shit (in a good way, not blisters or anything).

It depends on person to person, but after about a week, I was running in them. I'm much more agile in them as well, it's great.

As for the keys, Google it. I use a macbook pro and I thought they were impossible. Then I looked and found a ton of youtube videos, showing me it's relatively simple.

Page 1 of 5