Poll: Which keyboard layout?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which keyboard layout?
QWERTY
365 96%
Dvorak
5 1%
Colemak
1 0%
XPeRT
1 0%
Neo
0 0%
other (which one?)
7 2%
Voters: 379.
Page 2 of 5
Quote by Ēzio
So.....how does one go about switching to Dvorak? Other than the reorganizing of the keys I think I can manage that

Your OS should have a way to do it.

The wiki article of dvorak shows the multiple ways.

here you go
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
You forgot a basic one... AZERTY
but that's the freaky one that was spoken about earlier
AZERTY is pretty widespread here, but I know it's just in a couple of Germanic countries i.e. Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, and probably a couple more but I don't know which countries that would be
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by poipoi
You forgot a basic one... AZERTY
but that's the freaky one that was spoken about earlier
AZERTY is pretty widespread here, but I know it's just in a couple of Germanic countries i.e. Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, and probably a couple more but I don't know which countries that would be

I listed keyboards normal people use.

Dem crazy Germanz ain't no normal people.

Those five finger shoes are pretty interesting. They're not avaliable in any shop that I've ever heard of.
REI?

Or online.

Or abba dabbas.

Think of how hip and I'm-better-at-everything-than-you you would sound when you say "Yeah, I use Dvorak. No big."
Quote by GODhimself37
REI?

Or online.

Or abba dabbas.

Not willing to buy a pair of shoes online I've never tried before. Plus they only sip to Europe apparently and I'm from Australia. No idea what abba dabbas or REI are.
Quote by aCloudConnected
Think of how hip and I'm-better-at-everything-than-you you would sound when you say "Yeah, I use Dvorak. No big."

Or when I show them my fivefingers and apple computer and the fact that I listen to bands that not everybody knows about.

I know, I sound like a total hipster or some shit.

But I promise I only do these things because I extensively enjoy them.

Quote by Butt Rayge
Not willing to buy a pair of shoes online I've never tried before. Plus they only sip to Europe apparently and I'm from Australia. No idea what abba dabbas or REI are.

You're kinda ****ed

Just superglue some rubber to the bottom of your foot. It'll be almost the same!

(not really)

I use QWERTY and AZERTY.

I live in France but am English, so I'm good with both.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
just cause you switched tonight doesn't mean you use it, you're still one of us for now.
yo.

I BELIEVE
QWERTY. I type fast enough, and it took me long enough to type fast with QWERTY, I don't see enough of a reason to switch.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
This could actually make typing interesting. I just set up my laptop to be able to switch on the fly (for the OS). As soon as a find a way to be able to have the keys change as well I'll probably change just for the sake of trying something new, and if I don't like it I can change back to QWERTY in a matter of seconds.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
Quote by rjdusa
This could actually make typing interesting. I just set up my laptop to be able to switch on the fly (for the OS). As soon as a find a way to be able to have the keys change as well I'll probably change just for the sake of trying something new, and if I don't like it I can change back to QWERTY in a matter of seconds.

Just did that and its a mind f***, I'm so confused but this is gonna entertain me for the night.
Quote by Ēzio
Just did that and its a mind f***, I'm so confused but this is gonna entertain me for the night.

It wouldn't be a mind**** if I could change the physical keys.

On another note, I found this little bit of info and it's enough for me to want to switch.

Because it makes typing easier and more natural, Dvorak may actually decrease the risk of carpal-tunnel syndrome and other forms of repetitive-stress injury (RSI).
@rjdusa
Yea I noticed that as well which is why I haven't given up. It's still tough even with my keys switched >.<.
I'm so used to typing with QWERTY through years of internet use I doubt I could type as quickly and as accurately as I can know with a new set up, even if it is designed in a superior manner.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I'm so used to typing with QWERTY through years of internet use I doubt I could type as quickly and as accurately as I can know with a new set up, even if it is designed in a superior manner.

Every study done showed people typing as fast if not faster after a month. I'm not too worried about the speed all that much, but avoiding carpel tunnel (thus adding some years of potential guitar playing) seems worth it.
Xpert doesn't look like it would be too drastic of a change.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Temporary fix until I find a way to change the letters on the keys themselves. Unfortunately, after trying to type that sentence it seems it won't do much good.

Quote by darkcheef
Not Germans

They use some weird shit

No we don't, the only difference on our keyboard layout is that, for language purposes, Z and Y are swapped on the keyboard and we have three extra keys on the side for Ä, Ö and Ü.
I use the standard QWERTY, as do most, if not all the people that I know.

I've read about the DVORAK last month, and I think it's bullshit.

I mean, sure, unless your parents introduced you to DVORAK from a small age, the possible "benefits" surely are outweighed by the many years of using QWERTY and the familiarity?

I'm not going to spend a year developing proficiency in a keyboard layout when it's not remotely as widely used as QWERTY.
Quote by rjdusa
Temporary fix until I find a way to change the letters on the keys themselves. Unfortunately, after trying to type that sentence it seems it won't do much good.

just google on how to change the keys on your specific laptop

Everyone but hipsters use qwerty.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
Everyone but hipsters use qwerty.

Such an ignorant statement.

Quote by GODhimself37
Such an ignorant statement.

I have never seen any form of keyboard in my entire life other than a qwerty keyboard.
Qwerty, but I'd like to learn Dvorak. Qwerty was actually invented to slow down typists.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Todd Hart
I have never seen any form of keyboard in my entire life other than a qwerty keyboard.

That doesn't mean anything. That's like hearing from your family that all black people should be shunned and hated, and never even experiencing the outside world because you stay in the white part of town.

The rest of the world may use something completely different than QWERTY. And you may never know.

Hell, just look at all the keyboard variations on your computers OS. Look at them.

Quote by GODhimself37
just google on how to change the keys on your specific laptop

I could pop the keys off and rearrange them but it wouldnt feel right. The keys on most keyboards are designed to lean into the home row, plus the keys for your index fingers have those raised pieces. After moving them around none of that would be arranged properly.
Quote by Strat007
Qwerty, but I'd like to learn Dvorak. Qwerty was actually invented to slow down typists.

Source?

Quote by GODhimself37
That doesn't mean anything. That's like hearing from your family that all black people should be shunned and hated, and never even experiencing the outside world because you stay in the white part of town.

The rest of the world may use something completely different than QWERTY. And you may never know.

Hell, just look at all the keyboard variations on your computers OS. Look at them.

Yay for straw-men.
Last edited by Todd Hart at May 5, 2011,
I have friends who also use my computer. I'd have to teach them all something new. Can you imagine telling your friends. People get confused if you're running a linux distro let alone a non-qwerty keyboard.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by Todd Hart
Source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard#History_of_QWERTY

Also, it was in a recent cracked article.

Here is my progress. Yes, im typing all this on those little dots lol. it's quite difficult

Last edited by GODhimself37 at May 5, 2011,
Quote by GODhimself37

That doesn't prove that it was done to slow people down, it shows it was done to prevent adjacency of keys that were often consecutive in words. It even states:

Some claim that he did this to deliberately slow down the typist[20]; however, this claim has been disputed.[21][22]
Because of this thread I have switched to QWERTY US INTERNATIONAL. Someday I'll be hipster enough to use Dvorak....
Bass is my life.
Dvorak seems really interesting to be able to learn, but I think I might be way to used to QWERTY to make the switch. Besides, you know how easy it is to type QWERTY?
QWERTY
QWERTY
QWERTY

Easy.
Quote by Saint78
Dude you haven't lived until you've licked chocolate pudding out of a fat ladies back boob.

Quote by Boer Goat
I have never given a golf stack

Congratulations sir.
Configured my keyboard to Dvorak a couple of minutes ago. Shit's hard, although I'm starting to see why people would prefer it. Punctuation is a bitch.

(This post took me about 3 minutes to type.)
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by Todd Hart
That doesn't prove that it was done to slow people down, it shows it was done to prevent adjacency of keys that were often consecutive in words. It even states:

Because when they typed too fast the keys would jam if they were right next to each other. Regardless of how you argue, QWERTY is made to be inefficient.

Quote by MAC2322
Configured my keyboard to Dvorak a couple of minutes ago. Shit's hard, although I'm starting to see why people would prefer it. Punctuation is a bitch.

(This post took me about 3 minutes to type.)

Did you rearrange the keys like I am now?

(in an above edited post)