Poll: Which keyboard layout?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which keyboard layout?
QWERTY
365 96%
Dvorak
5 1%
Colemak
1 0%
XPeRT
1 0%
Neo
0 0%
other (which one?)
7 2%
Voters: 379.
Page 3 of 5
Quote by GODhimself37
Because when they typed too fast the keys would jam if they were right next to each other. Regardless of how you argue, QWERTY is made to be inefficient.

No, it's designed so that commonly paired letters aren't next to each other. That isn't inefficient, unless you're counting the number of ATP used for every letter press.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Read more about it. Its designed so that its involuntarily discriminate to right handed people.

Making progress... typing is even harder seeing the letters in different places. I'm still in the QWERTY format on the OS

If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by GODhimself37
Did you rearrange the keys like I am now?

(in an above edited post)

Don't have the patience, and besides, other people use my computer. I wouldn't want to be an asshole to them. I just have the Dvorak layout written on a little whiteboard, although I already have most of the locations down. My biggest problems so far are pressing 'e' instead of 'i' and 'n' instead of 's'. Also 'd' and 'h' to a lesser extent.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by GODhimself37

The rest of the world may use something completely different than QWERTY. And you may never know.

Poll would indicate otherwise
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by psorgatz
I like to listen Dvorak.....
(Antonin that is....)

Pa dum psh!
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

QWERTY because i'm not a fag
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by thefuzz454
Poll would indicate otherwise

Just sayin. lol. I have officially moved to Dvorak!

Shits hard currently, but ill eventually get used to it!

(just typed most of that on the home row!)

Last edited by GODhimself37 at May 5, 2011,
I have to say, I'm loving the vowel placement. And typing 'the' is the most satisfying thing ever.
Quote by MAC2322
I have to say, I'm loving the vowel placement. And typing 'the' is the most satisfying thing ever.

I think im going to map control c and control v to J and K for ease of use

Quote by GODhimself37
I think im going to map control c and control v to J and K for ease of use

I have to do that as well, but also with control q to ' and control w to ,.
Quote by SG_dave
I wanted to go DVORAK, but realised that i'd need to either pull all teh keys off my Laptop to put them in the right place, or buy a new keyboard. All this on top of learning a new system. Thought it wasn't worth the hassle.

Or you could just do what I'm doing and keep the same keyboard but change the settings on your computer. Granted, that means you can't look at the keys to see which letter is which, but you could make a separate diagram for that if it bothers you that much.
I've always used QWERTY and I don't see any reason to change.

I don't understand how some layouts are "faster" than others. That depends on the language and on your practice using it. It's all a matter of habit.
i hate change. sticking with my qwerty.

i love how easy qwerty is to type on a qwerty keyboard.

qwertyqwertyqwertyqwertyqwertyqwertyqwertyqwertyqwertyqw
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by MAC2322
Or you could just do what I'm doing and keep the same keyboard but change the settings on your computer. Granted, that means you can't look at the keys to see which letter is which, but you could make a separate diagram for that if it bothers you that much.

or cut out some paper and draw letters on them lol. currently im using a little program in the app store that acts as a school type lesson thing.

its been very helpful in my honest opinion. this took forever to type though lol its hard since i didnt even use the "correct"way to type before.

Quote by Butt Rayge
Fun fact:

Qwerty is used by every other typist in the world.

I know right.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by MakinLattes
I'm too used to QWERTY to make any changes. it's good enough for me.

Yeah but who wants good enough when you can have better?

Quote by MakinLattes
I'm one to settle.

Thats like saying "i prefer Joan Rivers over Jessica Biel"

Quote by MAC2322

I'd need to have the keys line up with what they type, otherwise i'd never learn.
I'm gonna wait till I can get a new computer or laptop before I commit to learning DVORAK. Hell I may even try to get a LCD keyboard so that i can change between layouts if I ever so wish.
Getting used to this is horrible. It's like trying to get over a speech impediment, only it's on your fingers.
Going to order a set of these. Will be able to keep the QWERTY there so if others use it it's not confusing while having Dvorak for myself. The little language bar on the system tray will let me switch the keyboard on the OS between the two easily whenever necessary.

http://www.amazon.com/Simplified-Keyboard-Lettering-Transparent-Background/dp/B0011FI3O8/ref=pd_sbs_op_1#productPromotions
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
Quote by MAC2322
Getting used to this is horrible. It's like trying to get over a speech impediment, only it's on your fingers.

Agreed. Don't even get me started on capitalizations. Lol its like relearning all over again. But don't let our pain sway you guys. I just wasn't a conventional typer before, so it's like relearning how to type all over again for me.

I use QWERTY.

Cba changing to a different computer. I'm a programmer too, well a hobbyist programmer right now
Quote by rjdusa
Going to order a set of these. Will be able to keep the QWERTY there so if others use it it's not confusing while having Dvorak for myself. The little language bar on the system tray will let me switch the keyboard on the OS between the two easily whenever necessary.

http://www.amazon.com/Simplified-Keyboard-Lettering-Transparent-Background/dp/B0011FI3O8/ref=pd_sbs_op_1#productPromotions

Sounds like a neat idea. Personally, I just like knowing that I will be the only one who knows how to actually use my computer. All potential grievers will be like "wtf!".

Quote by stratdud39
After reading up on wikipedia I kind of want a Dvorak keyboard now.

You can if you put a little effort into it.

Brain says:

"C'mon, hands, I have IDEAS that I want to CONVEY! Help me out here!"

Hands respond:

"Anlright, alright, hjust give me a goddamn soecond! Now, where the fuck was 'i' again? o. TNoype. e. Anlso no. u. HFGODDAMNIT ,DAY YD. UGJT!"
Quote by MAC2322
Brain says:

"C'mon, hands, I have IDEAS that I want to CONVEY! Help me out here!"

Hands respond:

"Anlright, alright, hjust give me a goddamn soecond! Now, where the fuck was 'i' again? o. TNoype. e. Anlso no. u. HFGODDAMNIT ,DAY YD. UGJT!"

You totally used QWERTY to type that didnt you?

Quote by GODhimself37
You totally used QWERTY to type that didnt you?

No. The 'brain' lines are edited, the 'hands' lines are not and the last part is the Dvorak equivalent of qwerty 'what the fuck'. It took me a while to type, as did this explanation.
GODhimself - why are you being so condescending towards those who've said they want to stick with QWERTY?

You've only just this minute started using DVORAK yourself. You can't preach about the advantages and how vastly inferior QWERTY is when you've never even tried it.......

Also, I stick with QWERTY because it's hugely impractical to do otherwise.
Fun Fact: The QWERTY layout was originally designed for the type writer so that the most used letters were distanced from each other, to avoid jamming.

As for myself, I adhere to the standard Qwerty layout, but neo looks pretty cool, with all that umlaut, and thorn, and eth, and double s, and greek letters.
I use QWERTY. Im not going to waste my time learning to type in a layout that virtually NOBODY uses. Plus, what the ****? Cool, you know how to use dvorak. Now go to any other place outside of your house and use a computer.

Looks like dvorak just slowed you down.
pinga
^ been said a million times already lol

I'm not being condescending I'm only explaining why Dvorak is considered better.

The only advantage QWERTY has over the others is it's practicality, in that its used in the majority of the world.

Last edited by GODhimself37 at May 5, 2011,