Poll: Which keyboard layout?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which keyboard layout?
QWERTY
365 96%
Dvorak
5 1%
Colemak
1 0%
XPeRT
1 0%
Neo
0 0%
other (which one?)
7 2%
Voters: 379.
Page 4 of 5
that was meant for the comment above yours

edit: shit
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by Cb4rabid
I use QWERTY. Im not going to waste my time learning to type in a layout that virtually NOBODY uses. Plus, what the ****? Cool, you know how to use dvorak. Now go to any other place outside of your house and use a computer.

Looks like dvorak just slowed you down.

Actually, most computers can be configured to Dvorak in under a minute, so it really doesn't slow you down very much.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
My typing speed is fast enough that my speed is constrained by my composition rather than my keyboard layout, so I see no reason to switch standards at this time
ITT: TS tries to make himself look cool by saying he types differently but just ends up looking like a dbag.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by MAC2322
Actually, most computers can be configured to Dvorak in under a minute, so it really doesn't slow you down very much.

And whats the point of it? So you can type *faster*? I bet its not even noticeable, and even if it is, are you that busy that you need to spare a few seconds when you decide to go online and type something?

Not trying to argue, but it really does seem pointless.
pinga
It took me a long time to learn QWERTY, I am not going to change.

I had never used a computer prior to 7th grade, which was the first time the school got a computer "lab" of 10 or so computers.. It took me until 9th grade or so to get a fluent typing motion going, as I didn't have a computer at home.

I'm not gonna go through that again trying to learn to type differently
Quote by Cb4rabid
And whats the point of it? So you can type *faster*? I bet its not even noticeable, and even if it is, are you that busy that you need to spare a few seconds when you decide to go online and type something?

Not trying to argue, but it really does seem pointless.

Well, I've only been using it for a few hours, but I can tell already that it's a lot more comfortable.
Quote by MAC2322
Well, I've only been using it for a few hours, but I can tell already that it's a lot more comfortable.

Agreed. With most keys being on the home row, i barely move my fingers

I want to learn, and I just ordered stickers for my computer. My hands end up hurting when I type in QWERTY, so hopefully this remedies this (plus I suffer from the common qwerty errors).

I also wear Vibrams.

Its like your feet are orgasming. Seriously. Once you go into minimalist shoes, you don't go back.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
QUERTY, because as cool as Dvorak sounds, and as cool as it is to have the same name as a composer (although it was invented by a guy named Dvorak; I just assumed it was named after the composer, kinda like Sibelius was named after Jean Sibelius, even though I guess that makes more sense as Sibelius is a score-writing/notation app, although why they chose a composer as utterly boring as Sibelius to name the program after is beyond me), I also happen to use a laptop, so if I were to switch to Dvorak, I'd have to get an external keyboard, as I now know that you can't replace the keys on my laptop's keyboard (long story short, the J key fell off, and I spent over an hour trying to put it back on, only to end up breaking the little plastic bits that held it in, as they're rather fragile, and now I have an empty space where it is, forcing me to touch the sensor pad when I want to type the letter J; thankfully, it's not nearly as common as I thought it was, and it's not much of an inconvenience at all), and having to learn a new keyboard layout, even though it's supposed to be easy and efficient, is just something I'd rather not spend the time doing.

Actually, I looked it up, and apparently the inventor of the Dvorak keyboard was in fact a distant relative of Dvořák's, although they pronounced their names differently.

Also, your claim that the QWERTY layout was intentionally designed to slow typists down is apparently disputed. It seems to me that it was designed to avoid key jamming, which is naturally no longer an issue, as virtually nobody uses a typewriter anymore.
Quote by Holy Katana
QUERTY, because as cool as Dvorak sounds, and as cool as it is to have the same name as a composer (although it was invented by a guy named Dvorak; I just assumed it was named after the composer, kinda like Sibelius was named after Jean Sibelius, even though I guess that makes more sense as Sibelius is a score-writing/notation app, although why they chose a composer as utterly boring as Sibelius to name the program after is beyond me), I also happen to use a laptop, so if I were to switch to Dvorak, I'd have to get an external keyboard, as I now know that you can't replace the keys on my laptop's keyboard (long story short, the J key fell off, and I spent over an hour trying to put it back on, only to end up breaking the little plastic bits that held it in, as they're rather fragile, and now I have an empty space where it is, forcing me to touch the sensor pad when I want to type the letter J; thankfully, it's not nearly as common as I thought it was, and it's not much of an inconvenience at all), and having to learn a new keyboard layout, even though it's supposed to be easy and efficient, is just something I'd rather not spend the time doing.

Actually, I looked it up, and apparently the inventor of the Dvorak keyboard was in fact a distant relative of Dvořák's, although they pronounced their names differently.

Also, your claim that the QWERTY layout was intentionally designed to slow typists down is apparently disputed. It seems to me that it was designed to avoid key jamming, which is naturally no longer an issue, as virtually nobody uses a typewriter anymore.

Right, it was meant to avoid jams, by making letters farther away. You know, making it take longer to type. Letters that are used frequently together are then moved to different spots to prevent them being pressed quickly in succession. That sounds like making it slower to me.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Once again, you do not have to use a different keyboard or rearrange your keys to use Dvorak. You just have to change a setting on your computer.
Quote by MAC2322
Once again, you do not have to use a different keyboard or rearrange your keys to use Dvorak. You just have to change a setting on your computer.

And if you need a visual you can order stickers for that.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
I find it weird that so many on UG are so opposed to learning Dvorak considering its designed to reduce carpal tunnel, something most guitarist worry about.
Quote by Ēzio
I find it weird that so many on UG are so opposed to learning Dvorak considering its designed to reduce carpal tunnel, something most guitarist worry about.

You'd be surprised how many non musicians browse the pit.

Quote by TunerAddict
Right, it was meant to avoid jams, by making letters farther away. You know, making it take longer to type. Letters that are used frequently together are then moved to different spots to prevent them being pressed quickly in succession. That sounds like making it slower to me.

Yeah, but the way he put it made it sound like it was some evil conspiracy to reduce efficiency, when I'd say it actually improved efficiency in the days of typewriters, due to jams being considerably less frequent.
Quote by Ēzio

This is the main reason I'm going to such lengths to learn this when staying with QWERTY would be more convenient.
The main reason I wouldn't switch from QWERTY is because of my cell phone as well. I doubt I'll be able to switch that. Plus, I already type fast as hell on QWERTY so it's whatever. Adding a few more wpm isn't going to affect my life any. Not to mention all the other things I do that will cause me carpal tunnel (guitar, video games, masturbation, etc).
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by offspring_punk
The main reason I wouldn't switch from QWERTY is because of my cell phone as well. I doubt I'll be able to switch that. Plus, I already type fast as hell on QWERTY so it's whatever. Adding a few more wpm isn't going to affect my life any. Not to mention all the other things I do that will cause me carpal tunnel (guitar, video games, masturbation, etc).

There's no reason to switch keyboards on your phone. Hell, it's probably better to have QWERTY on your phone since the letters are all spread out.

It's a completely different technique anyways.

Last edited by GODhimself37 at May 6, 2011,
Quote by GODhimself37
There's no reason to switch keyboards on your phone. Hell, it's probably better to have QWERTY on your phone since the letters are all spread out.

This. Dvorak's efficiency depends on how all fingers are used as opposed to using only your thumbs on a cell phone.
Quote by offspring_punk

I haven't had any difficulty switching between the two.
Quote by Ēzio
I haven't had any difficulty switching between the two.

Me neither. They are too different to compare.

Quote by GODhimself37
or cut out some paper and draw letters on them lol. currently im using a little program in the app store that acts as a school type lesson thing.

its been very helpful in my honest opinion. this took forever to type though lol its hard since i didnt even use the "correct"way to type before.

I just started using Dvorak because of this thread, it's pretty intense haha. Having all the vowels together is really useful, the home row has been my best friend.

I use a mac and being able to keep the same shortcuts is awesome.
Quote by GODhimself37

I'm just saying it would be difficult to have my brain working two different ways depending on what I'm typing on.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by musiclover2399
I just started using Dvorak because of this thread, it's pretty intense haha. Having all the vowels together is really useful, the home row has been my best friend.

I use a mac and being able to keep the same shortcuts is awesome.

I seem to have forgotten how to remap shortcuts :/

i wouldnt switch because if i went to a friends house and went on their computer i wouldnt be able to type probably because i would be use to a different pattern
QWERTY, because I'm used to it and I'm not so perfectionist that I worry about how efficient my typing is.
Quote by poipoi
You forgot a basic one... AZERTY
but that's the freaky one that was spoken about earlier
AZERTY is pretty widespread here, but I know it's just in a couple of Germanic countries i.e. Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, and probably a couple more but I don't know which countries that would be

Germans use QWERTZ. Get your facts straight.

Quote by T.s.e
QWERTY, because I'm used to it and I'm not so perfectionist that I worry about how efficient my typing is.

+1
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by DeadWhisper
i wouldnt switch because if i went to a friends house and went on their computer i wouldnt be able to type probably because i would be use to a different pattern

Consider this, you'll probably never forget how to type with QWERTY...

Any others?

I'm becoming increasingly adept at this... anyone else?

I'm definitely improving, but I wouldn't quite say 'adept' yet.
I wish i had dvorak, though like everyone else, i use qwerty.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by Diamond Dave
I call bullshit

I don't see why

I can max easy at around 115 wpm for quite a bit and average around 100. So 120 doesn't seem like much of a feet.

QWERTY for me. I don't particularly care for the others, nor do I feel like learning. But those Vibram Five Fingers look good. I've heard good things from friends too, but I don't have the money
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I don't see why

I can max easy at around 115 wpm for quite a bit and average around 100. So 120 doesn't seem like much of a feet.

QWERTY for me. I don't particularly care for the others, nor do I feel like learning. But those Vibram Five Fingers look good. I've heard good things from friends too, but I don't have the money

Get a job ya bum! :P

I didn't learn how to type the alphabet in under 2.5 seconds just to switch to some crazy communist keyboard layout