Page 1 of 2
They always seem to either suck terribly, are alcoholics, or are really friggin stupid.
Granted I'm in college so....

Anyway, I'm trying to find a well balanced drummer for a basic hard rock band. This is getting increasingly more difficult to find. It's like spinal tap, except without any actual progress.

Any advice on finding a good drummer?
I know the feeling I'll be looking for an answer.
I went to the zoo the other day, there was only one dog in it, it was a shitzu.

He who laughs last thinks slowest
I used to play drums for alotta years, and the problem I had was all the guitarists I ran into wanted to be Steve Van Hendrix... No team players anywhere.
How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?

Twenty. One to hold the bulb, and nineteen to drink until the room spins.

That sums it up, man. Think about it though, what kind of people would be drawn to an instrument you play by hitting it with sticks?
drummers are the hardest to find. they're either absolute assholes and will steal your gear and sell it or they're the stupidest people you'll ever meet so stupid that they're impossible to work with or they're the best friend you'll ever have and you'll love them and jam with them forever. you'll probably go through about 5-6 drummers before you find one you don't hate.

edit: oh yeah, advice. learn to play drums and play yourself for an ep then put your ep up. good drummers are more likely to come out of the woodwork if you have something to bait them with other than ideas just ideas.
Last edited by assparade69 at May 5, 2011,
i'm lucky enough to have a drummer i grew up with and can jam with effortlessly. i just start playing a riff and he'll pick up a beat and it'll sound awesome together.
Same for me... i had a fantastic drummer (been playing for 12 years)

He could do anything.

He also was an alcoholic, smoked a shit ton of pot, and had 2 kids on the way.

WITH TWO DIFFERENT GIRLS AND THEY WERE ONLY A MONTH APART.

One was his wife!

Oh, and he didn't have a job
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by GODhimself37
Same for me... i had a fantastic drummer (been playing for 12 years)

He could do anything.

He also was an alcoholic, smoked a shit ton of pot, and had 2 kids on the way.

WITH TWO DIFFERENT GIRLS AND THEY WERE ONLY A MONTH APART.

One was his wife!

Oh, and he didn't have a job

my drummer was the same apart from the kids(there would be practices where he couldn't even stay on the goddamn stool, but I stuck out cuz we had like six gigs already scheduled and I really wanted to play them, even if our drummer was a drunk), but then we played at his unlces 4th of july party last year and he got too drunk to play, now when ever we gig he does it stone cold sober, then rewards himself for it after the show (this is a great thing to suggest to a drummer that likes to get messed up, drummers are like dogs so you train them by giving them rewards)...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
my drummer was the same apart from the kids(there would be practices where he couldn't even stay on the goddamn stool, but I stuck out cuz we had like six gigs already scheduled and I really wanted to play them, even if our drummer was a drunk), but then we played at his unlces 4th of july party last year and he got too drunk to play, now when ever we gig he does it stone cold sober, then rewards himself for it after the show (this is a great thing to suggest to a drummer that likes to get messed up, drummers are like dogs so you train them by giving them rewards)...

Hey, I'm a drummer! Luckily I know my limits and such, so about half a joint and I'm alright mid session to alleviate any small feeling of pain or fatigue. Just tricks in the book, as long as my ability to play isn't compromised I'm good.
Quote by Union Jake
just straight up normal male group jerking session, it was like i was on my own aprt from getting kinda bumped into and the weird noises.
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

You earned your name, pal.
I feel your pain. I had the hardest trouble trying to find one for a simple rock band. So many just said screw it because they didn't like doing more simple beats and want to be doing some death metal with dbl bass and nailing the china every second beat....frustrating!
I used to be both a mediocre guitarist and a mediocre drummer. I met up with a guy to start a band, and we jammed a little, me on guitar. it went passably, and we shared ideas and stayed in contact. But it quickly became clear that A) There are a lot of good guitarists out there, and B) There aren't any drummers! So I mutually agreed to move to drums. I'm happy as can be, I don't mind hitting things with sticks! :P It's simpler that guitar, but just as fun, if you can stand the noise. I still play guitar a lot, and write a lot of band material, though.
Moral of the story: If you can't find one, become one
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Drummers are tricky business.

I'm lucky that the best drummer I know is the drummer in every band I've been in, but any other drummer I know is terrible.

It's all about constantly looking and networking to eventually find the good drummers.
Of course it also helps to build yourself a reputation, then good drummers will come to you naturally.
Quote by HeretiK538
I used to be both a mediocre guitarist and a mediocre drummer. I met up with a guy to start a band, and we jammed a little, me on guitar. it went passably, and we shared ideas and stayed in contact. But it quickly became clear that A) There are a lot of good guitarists out there, and B) There aren't any drummers! So I mutually agreed to move to drums. I'm happy as can be, I don't mind hitting things with sticks! :P It's simpler that guitar, but just as fun, if you can stand the noise. I still play guitar a lot, and write a lot of band material, though.
Moral of the story: If you can't find one, become one

Very very true. I was the third guitarist for a band, and then the bassist got sick, and like fell off the face of the earth. I wasn't very good at guitar yet, so I decided to try the bass, and it felt so natural to me. Now I'm the bassist in a band that plays really difficult shit xD

Also, your sig makes me happy. Porcupine Tree ftw.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Less people tend to pick up the drums because they're more expensive for a beginner kit than say a guitar, they're louder so they need a dedicated practice area, and the image associated with them isn't as "cool" as other instruments. For those reasons, there are less drummers.

As for finding "good drummers", I find them as hard to discover as "good guitarists". Sure a lot of people play guitar, but I haven't been impressed with many of them (especially in my age group).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Im looking of learning to play drums because of the lack drummers in my area.

Our old drummer was seriously good on the drums and very easy to work with and jam with, he had to move though..

Agreed with guy above me also. Good guitarists are hard to find but most of all, i find DEDICATED people harder then anything.
Quote by smokeysteve22
Agreed with guy above me also. Good guitarists are hard to find but most of all, i find DEDICATED people harder then anything.

YES

I know way too many musicians that are absolutely incredible, but just seem to have absolutely no work ethic. It makes it impossible to be in a band with them.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Our drummer is a great guy to hang with, a decent drummer, but occasionally gets lazy about practicing band "homework" - not enough actual practicing, and gets content too easily with "good enough". But that's ok, 'cause it's better than others I have jammed with. I've jammed with one who was amazing on the drums, but was a personal douche.

I wish I could have my first drummer back, still one of my best friends ever. Great songwriter & singer too. But he did have a knack for getting dangerously drunk. We live on opposite ends of the country now.

I've also always wondered - maybe it's better to convert a dedicated musician to drums than find a good one out of the box. With the right personality and desire almost anyone can learn most any skill.
So what is a "good" band member? I mean what would win out in an audition, mediocre skills but commitment and likability or amazing skill but a bit of a ****?
Quote by AlanHB
Less people tend to pick up the drums because they're more expensive for a beginner kit than say a guitar, they're louder so they need a dedicated practice area, and the image associated with them isn't as "cool" as other instruments. For those reasons, there are less drummers

But... Hitting things with sticks! Making lots of noise!
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by crevs1972
So what is a "good" band member? I mean what would win out in an audition, mediocre skills but commitment and likability or amazing skill but a bit of a ****?

The first one. Every single time. If you want a serious band, you want someone who shares a commom musical interest with you and someone who's committed to their music. Bear in mind as well that a commited band member will improve quickly anyway, even if they're nothing special musically to start with.
Maybe the drum forum people know.

Inspired by At The Gates, Dimension Zero, The Black Dahlia Murder etc.

Malsrud

Swedish Melodic Death Metal

Debut album The Disclosure available for free listening at
Facebook and Spotify

Haha, I want to know about the bass players too! All of the ones I know are taken, and even then there aren't many. I ended up being able to find someone who's willing to learn though so I went with that.
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Forget drummers, how do you find a good bassist?

Find a bad guitarist.

EDIT: That seems a bit offensive, lemme explain. It's not that Bassists are any worse skill-wise than guitarists, it's just if you have two or three guitarists and no bassists, someone's going to get the short straw on that one.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at May 10, 2011,
The reason that drummers are harder to find is simply that there are less of them.
When the average kid decides to take up an instrument, at some point in the process of choosing which instrument to play, he/she generaly looks at the logistics of the instrument they choose.
And electric guitar is a damn sight easier to store and practice on without the neigbours complaining than an acoustic drum kit, so more kids become guitarists or bassists or even keyboard players.

As for finding them, it's just a case of getting word out that you are seeking a drummer to as many people as possible, keep asking around, keep advertising and eventualy one will turn up.

So, I guess I'd better finish with a drummer gag.

This guy walks into a music store, looks around for a while then walks up to the counter and says "I'll take the red saxaphone and the white accordian please."
The store owner looks at him and says "Are you a drummer?"
The guy replies "Yeah, how did you know?" to which the store owner replies "Well I'll sell you the fire extinguisher for £50 but I'm not unbolting that radiator."

I remember when our guitarist once locked the van keys in the van, it took us half an hour to get the drummer out.
Dude I know the feeling, I live in a town out side of Hilton Head South Carolina.. There is literally three drummmers in my town.. all in bands..
There's around 6-8 drummers in my school year, two of them being good. All the others absolutely suck (not to be mean but it's the truth).Electric guitar is my main instrument but I'm partially a drummer. One time I was jamming with some friends (one on guitar and the other on bass) and one of the ''crappy'' drummers walked in and said you can't even keep a rhythm. I said ''Go ahead and try playing what they're playing''. He just walked out of the room... And those decent drummers are already in a band
Drummers are a weird breed. I'm one of them (I play mainly guitar though). I trained my drum skills because... well, everyone else sucked; or the good ones were already in major bands.

They either can't keep time because they never use a metronome, or they're awesome. No middle ground.

Very few exist due to the nature of price, sound...etc. Electronic is soon to take over acoustic though, then it'll be different.
I kinda had to take up drums because no one I know plays, so I'm the drummer with my band. One of the things I've noticed with various bands I've seen in pubs and that is how many drummers can't keep time. Forget the fills and fancy bits, if you're trying to find a drummer just make sure he can bloody stay in rhythm. As for actually finding people...ask around? Stick some adverts up in your local music store? Put an ad out on this website or others?
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Craigslist, sift through, try out, repeat.

or.. go to Guitar Center/Sam Ash/etc. and talk to the guys in the drum department. Sometimes they know other guys who are looking. Either that, or just stalk the area and wait for guys coming in to try stuff out. Sounds creepy, but if you're that desperate it couldn't hurt.
Keep a look out for a good drummer. They're hard to come by, but so is any other decent member of a band. I'm a drummer, and I'm the only one in the band who doesn't smoke pot, and get pissed drunk. quite a few guitarists (such as mine) are losers as well. But in the grand scheme of things, aren't we all?
I'm a drummer, guitarist, bassist, songwriter, and vocalist. It's good to be balanced.
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Forget drummers, how do you find a good bassist?

This. Seriously. Have had 3 different bass players in 3 months. None of them worked out. So tired of inviting new strangers into my house to find out they either ...

1) suck

2) Have a completely opposite musical taste as the rest of us

3) Have no interest in playing covers if we do covers, or have no interest in originals if we play originals

4) Insult another members' wife... yes, it actually happened.

5) Are total douchebags.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
When my band needed a drummer and couldn't find one we decided to make one. We got my younger brother to ask for a drum kit for Christmas and our lead singer, who could also drum, taught him. It's now over a year later and he's really good, and since we know each other so well their are no tensions.
-TimmyExtreme-
Keep looking.

My band went through a few drummers before we found the perfect fit. First drummer was terrible but nice, second drummer was pretty good but a complete d-bag, third drummer was pretty good but uncommitted, Fourth drummer was a complete control freak with average abilities. Then we went 3 months using a drum machine for practice because we were convinced the talent pool had "dried" up in our area. We finally found our current drummer who is a complete bada*s on drums, nicest guy you'll ever meet, professional, team player, ect.

I guess moral of the story is, sometimes you have to be patient.

Also, learning to play drums yourself could be useful.
Orange Rockerverb 100MKII
Orange PPC412C
Fender Telecaster: Hotrails, Air Norton, Area '58
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
well if you're in folsom, my advice is to call me :p but seriously, just put up flyers and shit all over your local music stores and hold auditions. everyone seems to be afraid of advertising, like its not worth it, but it is. everybody seems to think nobody will let you put your flyers on their walls and that if they do you're gonna get creepy old people auditioning, its a weird misconception. my band's about to advertise all over town for a singer.
I play the guitar(mainly) the bass, and I do a little bit of drumming, but finding another competent guitarist who doesn't have the need to show off seems to be impossible around my parts.

Drummer, well, I'm not a great drummer, but I have taught our last two drummers how to drum, with the help of my pastor, who is also a drummer.
Well firstly there are less drummers but I find drummers also tend to be a lot more demanding as they can afford to have more choice as to what band they join so normally want you to already have material that they can listen to.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Page 1 of 2