I'm just curious, but what do you guys think an EMG 81 in the bridge and an EMG 60 in the neck would sound like in a Gretsch Electromatic 5120?

MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
you should feel bad for considering
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by SKArface McDank
you should feel bad for considering

EDIT:

Btw, ask this dude...

http://liveassets.rationalpathinc.netdna-cdn.com/usercontent/gear/2814324/p1_uqofzvq4y_so.jpg
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Last edited by Krauser at May 5, 2011,
I wasn't considering it at all. I was just curious. I'm planning on buying an LTD EC-1000 in a little bit, but I just had a chuckle at the thought of active pickups in a hollowbody, thus I thought I'd ask.

Also, anyone know anything about this particular EC:

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/ec-1000t-ctm.html

It's one of the newer models, and it's REALLY caught my eye. It's the same price as the EC-1000VB without the tacky yellow binding.

Well... they're probably better than the pickups in it since most acoustic electrics use active pups however this really makes me wonder why you bought a semi-hollow piece of high feedback horse shit in the first place
Quote by Bad Kharmel
Well... they're probably better than the pickups in it since most acoustic electrics use active pups however this really makes me wonder why you bought a semi-hollow piece of high feedback horse shit in the first place

Because it plays amazingly and gets the exact sound I needed for what I play with one of the groups I work with. Also, no need to be a condescending dick, m'kay? Yeah, it'll feedback if left unchecked, but that's easily controllable.

It's not meant to be condescending it's just EMG's usually go with distortion and semi-hollows do not (primarily due to feedback), also I can't really justify the price for a semi-hollow since the advantages to tone are minimal as compared to the tendency to feed back. in fact most solid bodies have (arguably) better clean tone than most hollow bodies (Les Paul in fact created the electric guitar for its clean sound)
Quote by LoudLove5150
I wasn't considering it at all. I was just curious. I'm planning on buying an LTD EC-1000 in a little bit, but I just had a chuckle at the thought of active pickups in a hollowbody, thus I thought I'd ask.

Also, anyone know anything about this particular EC:

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/ec-1000t-ctm.html

(Invalid img)

It's one of the newer models, and it's REALLY caught my eye. It's the same price as the EC-1000VB without the tacky yellow binding.

It's the same guitar with a different paint job. I've played the EC-1000VB and I rather like it. Great LP style guitar and the 81/60 combo is great. Also I quite like the yellow binding with the matte black finish one the VB. It's a little fingerprint happy with the oils in your hands on the black finish but other than that, I think it's a gorgeous finish. If anything is tacky, it's the amount of abalone ESP LTD uses on their deluxe models like the EC-1000BLK and such. It looks really nice on the site, but in person, it's obnoxious and actually makes it, to me at least, look tacky and cheap.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
I guess I'll be the first one in this thread to point out that EMG pickups were originally created with jazz guitar in mind. Granted they probably aren't exactly the same as those older EMGs but...

They might sound alright but EMGs are just too sterile to me to use in a semi-hollow, especially playing clean.
Quote by Pac_man0123
I guess I'll be the first one in this thread to point out that EMG pickups were originally created with jazz guitar in mind. Granted they probably aren't exactly the same as those older EMGs but...

Wanted to say this. Probably not the 81 so much, but the 60 at least should sound perfect in there.

Also, EMG's would help control the feeback, more than anything. They are naturally silent.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Bad Kharmel
It's not meant to be condescending it's just EMG's usually go with distortion and semi-hollows do not (primarily due to feedback), also I can't really justify the price for a semi-hollow since the advantages to tone are minimal as compared to the tendency to feed back. in fact most solid bodies have (arguably) better clean tone than most hollow bodies (Les Paul in fact created the electric guitar for its clean sound)

Have you ever played a semi hollow? Semi hollows produce very musical and controllable feedback, and work incredibly well for overdrive and distortion because they have a rather middy tone which helps cut through the mix.

As for advantages, the ones you listed are entirely open to preference and interpretation, and "arguably better clean tone" than most hollowbodies is just daft, and even more biased than anything else you've said. Finally, what worked for Les doesn't necessarily work for anyone else, considering for the latter era of his career he din't even use his eponymous guitar
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
It would sound the same as every other guitar with EMGs.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster

+1
Quote by crustyreed
jan 08ers quit posting threads to establish how core you are. nobody has heard of these 'ramnomes' you speak of.
Quote by JustRooster

+2
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Bad Kharmel
It's not meant to be condescending it's just EMG's usually go with distortion and semi-hollows do not (primarily due to feedback)

Try playing a semi-hollow on a distorted tube amp and not on a cheapass Line 6 Spider iii on the Insane channel.

Quote by JustRooster

+3

+4
In answer to what you said about the EC-1000CTM, its the same as a VB, just different paintjob. My EC-1000 just arrived today, and I love it. What I did notice about the CTM though (I tried it out in store) is it is much heavier than the VB, which I didn't like.
Gear
ESP LTD EC-1000 Vintage Black - Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Tama Superstar Custom Hyperdrive w/ Sabian Cymbals
Quote by JustRooster

+ Over 9000
Currently Using:

Washburn X-Series w/ SH-8 and Pearly Gates
Peavey Vypyr 120h
Peavey Valveking 412 Slant
ISP Decimator
Ernie Ball .12-.56

Quote by CannedBullets
get to Wisconsin, do a S.E.A.L Team 6 style raid on her dwelling with a few other guys, show no mercy